It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Temple Artifact Verifies Biblical Book of Nehemiah

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   

First Temple Artifact Verifies Biblical Book of Nehemiah

www.jpost.com

A stone seal bearing the name of one of the families who acted as servants in the First Temple and then returned to Jerusalem after being exiled to Babylonia has been uncovered in an archeological excavation in Jerusalem's City of David, a prominent Israeli archeologist said Wednesday.

The 2,500-year-old black stone seal, which has the name "Temech" engraved on it, was found earlier this week amid stratified debris in the excavation under way just outside the Old City walls ....
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/17/2008 by JustMe74]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Fascinating find that suggests the "Babylonian Captivity" was a real event as described in the Bible. While I certainly don't believe that the Bible should be used as a history book, when finds like this are made, it does suggest that archaeologists and historians should be less dismissive of the parts that are in fact history.

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Re:you and i can accept this as being true---but islamic extremists will deny that jews ever were even there----no matter how much archaeological artifacts are dug up all the way back to 1330 bce when the jews first captured jerusalem from the canaanites.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Re to Yahn :

Dieu reconnaîtra les siens...

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Rigel]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Or maybe that's HALF the reason they hate them? and the other half is because they went in...AGAIN...? Just sayin'.

Also, one seal hardly 'verifies' a book of the bible. All it verifies is a seal, and possible structure. That's like saying finding the ark of the covenant verifies indiana jones....

edit: Three lines of copy are excessive now? oh well.

[edit on 1/17/2008 by Arcane Demesne]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Would you people please learn to use the "REPLY TO:" function instead of quoting the entire post you are responding to!

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
Re:you and i can accept this as being true---but islamic extremists will deny that jews ever were even there----no matter how much archaeological artifacts are dug up all the way back to 1330 bce when the jews first captured jerusalem from the canaanites.

Funny that this statements of yours actually prove the "islamic extremists" right -- the Jews weren't there according to you, but the Canaanites were. According to the Bible and historical sources, the Jews then proceeded to ethincally cleanse the Canaanites and committed a genocide in the process. Jericho, anyone?

[edit on 17-1-2008 by buddhasystem]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Oddly enough, just last night I was watching an episode of 'Digging for the Truth" (prob. a repeat) and it was all about King David and his existence.

I found it quite interesting, they had shown (replicas) of engravings in stone that were found in the 'City of David', which actually named King David.

Apparently this is one of the only verifiable pieces of evidence that he ever existed outside of the Bible. ( if I understood it correctly )

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Yes, as directed by the LORD GOD himself. Caananites were a filthy, baby burning satan worshipping heathen bunch.

Joshua did good..............

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliosprime

Yes, as directed by the LORD GOD himself. Caananites were a filthy, baby burning satan worshipping heathen bunch.

Sure, that's what the Jewish sources like to tell you.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

No thats what the word of GOD says in the bible...............

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You do realize that Islam was created around 400 A.D. don't you? Hence the impossibility of Islamic individuals owning the land pre-Hebrew history. Many of the Canaanites were migrants from southern Europe near the area of Greece. These people were called Philistines. Does that name look famaliar? Yes, that's where we get the name Palestine. From the Philistines.

Where did the name Palestine come from?
The Philistines were not Arabs nor even Semites, they were most closely related to the Greeks originating from Asia Minor and Greek localities. They did not speak Arabic. They had no connection, ethnic, linguistic or historical with Arabia or Arabs.

The Philistines had already conquered the majority of the Cannanites. The Jews in turn ousted the Philistines. The rest is history. I should note that all of this happened over 1,000 years before Islam was created.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by dbates]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

You do realize that Islam was created around 400 A.D. don't you?

I know that full well, thank you. I was referring to the absurdity of the whole "who was there first" routine. The Jews can't claim that land any more than the Arabs can.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

So this land belongs to Jews as they now inhabit in. Period.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Rigel]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rigel

So this land belongs to Jews as they now inhabit in. Period.

Right, and by the same token they are liable to be driven off it. They were not the first there and probably not be the last.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Two things from the article that is going to raise a lot of controversies here in relation of who this people were actually worshipers at the time.

The Bible refers to the Temech family: "These are the children of the province, that went up out of the captivity, of those that had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away, and came again to Jerusalem and to Judah, every one unto his city." [Nehemiah 7:6]... "The Nethinim [7:46]"... The children of Temech." [7:55].

That is very impressive, but then we most look at this seal in its entirety.

The seal, which was bought in Babylon and dates to 538-445 BCE, portrays a common and popular cultic scene, Mazar said.

The 2.1 x 1.8-cm. elliptical seal is engraved with two bearded priests standing on either side of an incense altar with their hands raised forward in a position of worship.

A crescent moon, the symbol of the chief Babylonian god Sin, appears on the top of the altar.

So the Temech family were worshipers of the god Sin, and they belong ot a cultic.

So that is very interesting and occurs will bring a lot of controversy as the origins and believes of some of this important enough people to be mention in the bible.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Sweet, I was going to post this but....

Anyhow, The Bible was right....yet again.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne
Also, one seal hardly 'verifies' a book of the bible. All it verifies is a seal, and possible structure. That's like saying finding the ark of the covenant verifies indiana jones....

Agreed. An appropriate analogy might be to say that the discovery of a bit of rock with the name "Jupiter" on it verifies the reality and existence of the entire Greek pantheon.

It's a little sad that some people will grasp so desperately at tiny bits of rock hoping to have their beliefs somehow confirmed, particularly when there are huge monuments in Egypt, for example, that constantly confirm and verify the words of the Egyptian Gods and leaders. Seems to me that the smart money might be in worshipping them, rather than a lot of vague rumors and stories cooked up by a few wild-eyed prophets.

Just a suggestion. I personally don't live in a world buried by dust.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
An appropriate analogy might be to say that the discovery of a bit of rock with the name "Jupiter" on it verifies the reality and existence of the entire Greek pantheon.

That's not an "appropriate" analogy at all. It would be if I had said that it "verifies the existence of God"; however, I only said that it validated one particular story in the Bible as possibly historically accurate. Your own biases are getting in the way of your ability to process something logically.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Would you people please learn to use the "REPLY TO:" function instead of quoting the entire post you are responding to!

Thank you.

haha

Awesome find OP, i wonder how much more artifacts they will find and what will lead to more info on some subjects that have been considered speculative or just fable

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join