It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Punishing Thought Crime: Would New Bill Make YOU a Terrorist?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Punishing Thought Crime: Would New Bill Make YOU a Terrorist?

www.alternet.org

Kucinich, who was one of the scant few to vote against the resolution, was equally suspicious. But as usual, he's a bit more dystopian about such measures in his outlook, calling it the "thought crime bill" during a speech to supporters in December.

"If you understand what his bill does, it really sets the stage for further criminalization of protest," Kucinich said. "This is the way our democracy, little by little, is being stripped away from us."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Any law that could potentially be used against those who protest against government policy or actions is a law which could be abused.

Already we have seen laws supposedly brought in to combat terror groups and help the war on terror being used for other purposes against citizens who have no terrorist affiliation, and have been guilty of "horticultural" crimes.

This law (according to the article) could also be used to monitor extremist internet activity - which could mean monitoring ALL internet activity.
This could be bad news for some critics of the government - if, like me you are critical of the war in iraq and of bush in general, would that constitute breaking the law under this and other laws such as the homeland security act?
Thankfully (as far as this law is concerned), I don't live in the US although my government will probably be trying to slip something like this through the back door, as we have seen in todays news.
news.bbc.co.uk...

One of the many problems with this and other laws is that definitions have been left (deliberately?) vague.

Get those tin hats ready - here comes 1984

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I know what I am, "they" can define me under vague laws however they please, They can criminalize me all they want for nothing more then the belief that free men should remain free and that no Man, Majority, or Government has the right to tread on my rights...

I will meet force with equal force to protect my rights be that force physical or verbal, all depends on the move "they" make, they control this game, its their move.

Forcing our hand and making us become like the very men who founded this once great nation, will be an honor.

Many fear to say anything remotely close to what I've said, even though its protected free speech and even though its non threatening, in no "free" nation should one fear to speak freely, in no free nation should one fear its own Government.

let them use my words against me, it will only prove me and everyone who holds the same beliefs to be correct, thus inspiring more to follow

[edit on 17-1-2008 by C0le]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Ya... I'm pretty sure a lot of us are terrorists. The founding fathers were considered terrorists.

[Edit: us]

[edit on 17/1/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by C0le

as much as I disagree with your stance sometimes, I have to applaud you for having the courage of your convictions no matter what, and for the consistency of your views.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le

I will meet force with equal force to protect my rights be that force physical or verbal, all depends on the move "they" make, they control this game, its their move.

Forcing our hand and making us become like the very men who founded this once great nation, will be an honor.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by C0le]

you my friend are a patriot and i completly agree, not only will i fight if the need be but i will organize and whether out numbered or out gunned i promise id have them fearful that more like us are out there.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The problem is that if a law is used to control "disruptive elements" it's often done insidiously.

This is a stealth tactic, designed to slip under the radar.

If we lose control of the net because governments gain control it, then god help us all - and let's face it, governments have been trying to control it for years.

top topics

join