It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finnish Army Buys a New SRSAM launcher

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Finnish military has aquired a tower mounted launcher for their RBS-70 Short range SAMs. The system lifts the missilecontainer up to 18 meters and allows the system to lock on targets from above the treeline. Lifter is provided by AS Falck Schmidt Defence Systems.

I got a mixed feeling about this system, it's great to improve the envelope of the SR SAM system, but wouldn't a medium range system be a better response?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Sounds like a system that will be right at home in Finnish territory. We have a rather large variety of different AA systems anyway since we're not committed to any specific kind.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
excellent budget solution and something that is quite mobile. Perfect for finland.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
You can have your SAM site in the middle of a forest without the need for a large clearing.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes we have, but the common nominator seems to be that good AA systems have been plagued with bad platforms. Xa-203/Crotale and T55/Marksman combos show it well... army saved in the wrong spot. But things are looking better, now all we need is to get a good mounted AAA system to replace he 23mm Sergeis (ZSU-2-23s modified in Finland)

[edit on 17-1-2008 by northwolf]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by northwolf

I could see that being very usefull, an excellent asset.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
You know, I dont know.
The lifter is an awsome idea, but now that I've found out the RBS 70 IS MAN GUIDED, ????I dont Know

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
It is Man portable short range system, but it has a very potent seeker head to guide it.

[edit on 19-1-2008 by northwolf]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Bigger pic:

Any pics of it in operation? Or of the Finnish SPAAG?

This can load up to 2 tons so it could carry a much better fully automated SHORAD system.....

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The tower system is brand new and as far as i know it's not even in Finland yet, so i doubt there are any pictures of it in action. I don't even know if any real fire testings have been done.

Some videos of the venerable 23ITK95

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
It is Man portable short range system, but it has a very potent seeker head to guide it.

Actually it is a laser beam rider, with all the pluses and minuses that come with such a system. Useful for helicopters, but totally worthless against attack aircraft that can operate above the max effective altitude of the system. If you don't have a medium range, medium to high altitude SAM system in complement to the RBS-70, then you basically have a very low level of air defence capability (both in terms of coverage, as well as actual capability rating). We have the RBS-70 here in Aus, and it isn't exactly considered that great.

The tower isn't going to increase the envelope either. It will reduce the effects of foliage, but the kinematics aren't going to change for such a small shift in altitude, and the system will still be bound by the main limitation of the system - the operator and his ability to detect, track and guide to intercept against the target.

Edit - clarification of what I meant about complementary system

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Willard856]

new topics

top topics

join