It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Darkest ever material created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

BBC News

The "darkest ever" substance known to science has been made in a US laboratory. Researchers say it is the closest thing yet to the ideal black material, which absorbs light perfectly at all angles and over all wavelengths.
"The application will be to things like more efficient solar cells, more efficient solar panels and any application where you need to harvest light."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Cool, huh? If something does not reflect light, it is impossible to see. The only thing you could identify would be a silhouette of an absolute black shape.
Nanotubes are the most amazing thing humans have created behind electricity and computers, yet they are getting crap-all attention. Pity, really. Lack of funding is surely suppressing some amazing innovations. Something like this, as the article says, has huge implications for electricity and energy generation.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
These materials will be used when we compute with light using nanomechanical arrays and structures.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

I'd disagree.

Carbon nanotubes get plenty of press and their is a plethora of applications being developed using them, from cancer cures to super-strong armour.

Just because they're not on FOX or CNN, doesn't mean they are being ignored. For example, I see articles a few times a month on the BBC about the latest in nano technology.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I took a look at the pics, but I didn't see anything because it was just to dark.

Nice find.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I heard about this on NPR on the way home from work yesterday. I just caught the tail end of the interview, thanks for the article I was wanting to read about this more today.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Cant wait for commercial solar panels that will use this stuff, say good bye to dependency on oil for power,say good bye to the power companies as everyone will want one, if there pushin close to 100% efficency then even on cloudy days there should be enough power to get what you need or want done done!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I would have to agree that nano-tube technology isn't exactly unheard of. I have read quite a few articles in scientific publications relating to nano technology and the solutions it may hold for curing cancer, etc. I am sure there is quite a bit of funding for this technology since it will be applied to a multitude of different fields ranging from healthcare to energy.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
In reply to the comment about nanotechnology bieng suppressed and underfunded. COMPLETELY FALSE ASSUMPTION.

I get the KurzweilAI newsletter daily and every day theres 2 or 3 articles about a lab in 'wherever' state university coming up with a new use for carbon nanotubes to do something miraculous. These things are a BIG deal in the physical sciences. They have seemingly unlimited applications. Sure nobody talks about it on CNN or FOX, thats not news anymore they should call it what it is, political propeganda.

The internet is the only source of unbiased news these days.

check out www.kurzweilai.net...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Uhh . . guyopitz, when did I say nanotechnology was being supressed? I was talking about the innovations this offers. Read my initial post carefully. And I was indeed referring to the mainstream news, not two-bit internet news sites with a readership of a few million.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
How much would a metre box of the stuff be ? need a new mini-dark room at work.

This is great, i wasnt really familer to this technology but ill do some research now.

Fox

top topics

join