It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Signal from Outer Space Heard by Arecibo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Mystery Signal from Outer Space Heard by Arecibo

www.earthfiles.com

KTVU-TV, Channel 2 in San Francisco Bay area, reported yesterday: “Across the globe, researchers searching for signs of life in space were abuzz this week with word that a mystery signal has been picked up by a giant radio-telescope in Puerto Rico. Now the dilemma is -- how do you answer it? Dan Wertheimer of the UC Berkeley SETI Project, said the dilemma is compounded by the fact that the signal may never be completely decoded.
‘We probably won\'t be able to decode it,’ he said. ‘We\'ll know something\'s out there, but we won\'t know much about their civilization.’”

Back on November 16, 1974, the Arecibo radio telescope was used to send humanity\'s first message into outer space, which contained basic information about Earth\'s fundamental chemicals of life, the formula for DNA, a crude diagram of our solar system, simple pictures of male and female human beings and the diameter of the Arecibo dish. See: KTVU-TV.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Very interesing

www.earthfiles.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Roz47, this is so exciting! I will look for this on other news outlets. What do you bet that shortly they will say it was a mistake or something? But the news has leaked out now.
This is just amazing, thanks for posting this Roz. Flagged (and starred if I knew how.)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well, so much for that... The link at KTVU-TV displayed this:

Article Not Available
The story you are trying to view is no longer available through this Web site.

And the media blackout begins?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Fortunately, I have a copy of the article and we do here at ATS, too. The OP posted the entire article, so you didn't miss anything but verification, which I can tell you I saw with my own two eyes.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Whoa wait a second, wasn't there a member on here a few days ago that said he picked up a single?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrAndy
Whoa wait a second, wasn't there a member on here a few days ago that said he picked up a single?

That's a great point. Well, guess I better clean up the kitchen...You think they prefer Gin or Vodka?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The first question is "how to answer it?" I think the first question (after it's determined to be valid) should be "can we answer it," followed immediately by "should we answer it?" I'm thinking of those deep sea fish with a little dangling light out in front of their huge, tooth-filled mouths.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Wow, total blackout on this one. Even the Arecibo telescope homepage isn't mentioning it. Hope there is more to this story. I'll email KTVU and ask why they pulled the story...

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The article on KTVU-TV is definitely gone. I even searched the site for 'SETI' and 'Arecibo' with no relevant results.

I'm glad Earthfiles grabbed this before it was taken down. Either it was a joke, or it is now being covered up. You have to wonder though, why was only one TV station privy to such information?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
hmmm, why do i get the sinking feeling that we wont hear anything more about this event and that if asked they will just deny that it ever happend.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Seth Shostak will make sure of that!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

Yes, it was Hello123456 Here is the link to the thread:

I have signal

How cool is that? We have a member that has it all recorded.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
White House phone rings:

"Yeah, this is G Dubya."

"George, we gotta problem."

"What's that?"

"Well it seems one of our secret little friends on the far side of the galaxy made a boo boo."

"Oh, what?"

"Well they accidentally transmitted a full cycle beam instead of the normal confined one, and now the turkeys down in Puerto Rico are picken em up on the scope. And they've got some private SETI members seeing things as well. We got a TV station too that's published the story. This doesn't look good."

...long silence...

"Alright Dick, here's what we'll do... Kill the station report citing national security, and clean up the net. As to the private SETI members, if they won't give up their boxes, label them as enemy combatants. Guatanamo, if you have to, got it?"

"Sir, but intelligence reports..."

"I don't give a damn about intelligence reports, you know that! Now go get er dun."

Click.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
true american that was the funniest thing iv read all day thank you for that . but like i said we wont hear any more about this and that my friends is realy very sad.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

how can we answer radio signal from the aliens?----we dont taste very good----please dont eat us ! that would be a start ?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
It's also been removed from an affiliate's website. FOX 11 (KRX1-TV Reno) The station ran the same story online; the title was "Has E.T. Made A Call?'

www.foxreno.com...

More details however are mentioned on this page:
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Also, after running a search on Dan Wertheimer, it's apparent he's had to deny previous reports of SETI receiving alien signals (in 2004). It would be very easy for him to change his story in this instance. Given how fast it was pulled, he may not even have to go that far.

[edit on 16/1/08 by Evasius]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
This discussion is ongoing on SET's homepage at present.

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

Don't know if it's of benefit to anyone.
Sorry I can't help, not really up on all the technical stuff.

Apologies if it's complete BS.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
At least it's still being mentioned here at the UC Berkely website:

www.berkeley.edu...

It's most official site I've found so far...

***EDIT*** It's the 4th story down (Has E.T. Made A Call?)

[edit on 16/1/08 by Evasius]

apc

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The KTVU story is still in Google's cache. /28942q

Earthfiles got the meat of the article though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join