It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Please Don't Do That': Man Says Hospital Forced Rectal Exam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

'Please Don't Do That': Man Says Hospital Forced Rectal Exam

www.foxnews.com

Marrone said his client got eight stitches for a cut over his eyebrow.

Then, Marrone said, emergency room staffers insisted on examining his rectum and held him down while he begged, "Please don't do that." He said Persaud hit a doctor while flailing around and staffers gave him an injection, which knocked him out, and performed the rectal exam.

Persaud woke up handcuffed to a bed and with an oxygen tube down his throat
, the lawyer said, and spent three days in a detention center.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com

[edit on 16/1/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
This is a grown man, a construction worker, who came into the hospital because a two by four fell and cut his head and required 8 stitches.

The man refused treatment (the rectal exam) and then was forced to have the exam!

I've been knocked on the head by a 2x4 before and ended up with a gash on my head and I sure wouldn't allow somebody to do a rectal exam because of it! I believe he was WELL within his rights to deny the treatment/exam!

Whatever happened to personal freedoms? A case of Big Brother laws making sure they do what is in your best interest even though it was only a little bump on your and you are a perfectly sane person?

The article does mention that a "rectal exam was one way of determining whether he had suffered spinal damage in the accident." But, aren't there less intrusive ways to find out if somebody has a spinal injury?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16/1/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Ok, woah, definitely wrong here. Your head is a far cry from your ass, and in NO WAY was this justified.SUE, SUE SUE!!!!!
One more reason to never ever go to a hospital....my god.
What next.Oh geez, never ask that.You may get an answer.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Wow, this is just wrong. The hospital should definately pay up because this will be a huge lawsuit! If a hospital ever tried to force me into that position they would definately have to knock me out too!

[snip]

just kidding!

Mod Edit - removed uncessary remark.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As a legal nurse consultant, I can tell you that this man has a winnable lawsuit. It is against the law and against the "standards of care" to force treatment on a patient who is in their right mind, of age, and refusing treatment.

Yes, there are less intrusive ways to determine spinal injury. If he's able to flail about and smack the staff, he probably doesn't have spinal injury. There's also x-rays, MRI's, CT's, clinical symptoms. In 27 years of practice, I've never even heard of doing a rectal exam to determine spinal injury. It would not even be necessary to determine internal bleeding. There was absolutely no reason to do a rectal exam. He could sue them for assault and battery as well as sexual assault.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
People, please - please

Keep It Clean.

Thank You.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Wow. This is why I refuse to see any medical professional unless I know its a matter of life or death.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Great, I'm reading this just before going to bed. God knows what sort of dreams I'll have now.

Anyway, this poor guy's rights were violated in more than one way I would think. This world is just going down the drain at a faster rate than expected. It's time to move out.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Yeah I foresee this gentleman being rather wealthy here shortly. I can't even begin to express with words how wrong this is, it just astounds me that any medical center would allow or even endorse something like this. Unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Ummm, do you have another source OTHER than Fox?

I don't doubt this happened...well, ok I kind of do (only because the source is from Fox), but I'm not trying to come down on you.

I think everyone's starting to learn that you can't trust Fox to bring us REAL TRUSTWORTHY news.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I am sooo tired of people saying this about news sources instead of them, themselves, trying to find out if there is any other "news" source about a subject. Just try to "GOOGLE" (or whatever search) yourself and try to find out!

YES! There are other news sources!

Man: NY Hospital Forced Rectal Exam
The Seattle TimesMan Says N.Y. Hospital Forced Rectal Exam
Hit on the head and gets rectal exam?
Newsweek

People need to stop being lazy and do their OWN research and stop just saying "I don't believe your source"!

Anybody can do a search and find out if there are other sources!

[edit on 18/1/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well thank you for that. It's so much appreciated.

EVERYONE, EVERYONE, from now on, it makes no difference what source is put up, or if there is any source at all in the threads. You CAN just go out and get the info yourself. Credible sources are no longer needed.

Boy, thanks again Keyhole, that takes a huge weight off my shoulders now that I know I don't have to post a credible source for any news I hear.

Phew.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Obviously it was credible.

A simple search would have let you know that.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave
As a legal nurse consultant, I can tell you that this man has a winnable lawsuit. It is against the law and against the "standards of care" to force treatment on a patient who is in their right mind, of age, and refusing treatment.

Yes, there are less intrusive ways to determine spinal injury. If he's able to flail about and smack the staff, he probably doesn't have spinal injury. There's also x-rays, MRI's, CT's, clinical symptoms. In 27 years of practice, I've never even heard of doing a rectal exam to determine spinal injury. It would not even be necessary to determine internal bleeding. There was absolutely no reason to do a rectal exam. He could sue them for assault and battery as well as sexual assault.

you got one of the best sigs ever guy.

apc

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Maybe it's population control. I mean look how many people see this as a reason to NOT see a doctor or go to the hospital? Pure Darwinism.

This story doesn't make much sense. There has to be some major element that hasn't been reported. I can imagine some nutjob doctor wanting to do this, but the nurses going along? If it really went down as it's being reported, everyone must have been high on crack to not realize it was assault and they were about to get sued.

Maybe the staff are actually aliens and he just got probed!

posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

The Liberal Networks(CNN,NBC,ABC,CBS and MSNBC) are untrustworthy also

posted on Apr, 23 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I just know if they want to go probing around my nether region the doctor is going to really do a good job of 'splaining it.

When you turn a certain age an is a male,doctors want to start looking up your butt to check for colon cancer.

They do it every time I go to the V.A. hospital.

I finally said if it would get them off my butt(pun intended) then schedule me for it so I can sleep at night.

I had to have doctors look up there 30 years ago and I hated it.

Doctors want to look up or down in any opening you have.

new topics

top topics

join