It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making flies vanish with the power of thought

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Perhaps this might answer the question:

www.vimeo.com...

It gives a short video of what a fly perhaps sees.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

This has nothing to do with optical sensory organs. He was grabbing the rubber bands as the fly disappears. How would any eyes be able to determine he was posing a threat, at a flys level of intelligence?

This was either a strange coincidence, or there is something unknown going on.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas
BTW: does it have to be chanted in English?

I doubt it has anything to do with the language itself.
Its probably some kind of scent I give off at the time I'm doing it.
Tells the fly "If you don't leave, you will most surely die."

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

As Steve Martin would say.....Whelllllllllll EXUSE ME!

Of all the things going on in life, here we are fretting over a flie!

[edit on 16-1-2008 by jdposey]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Beachcoma just has the underground reputation for the rubberband quickdraw. Its like when I was small and I got too big for my britches- Mama reached for the shoe or the hair brush and when she turned around there was nothing but the breeze from me darting out of the room.

BTW- Buddah doesnt live in my house- if the buggers come in my house they DIE. 'specially the eight leggers!

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by theRiverGoddess

Fascinating! I've not tried mental imagery to communicate with other creatures. Except maybe feral dogs (I usually visualize kicking them in the nose -- they don't stick around for long).

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Bees are pretty dang HAPPY critters

Must be the sugar rush from all that nectar

reply to post by Nohup

Yeah, you're right. I was besieged by those vampires last night while I was writing the OP. Strong intentions to smack them flat didn't make them go away. I guess the urge to reproduce is stronger (female mosquitoes need blood to lay eggs) so they take that chance anyway.

reply to post by Legalizer

I tried a variation of that chant just now, it seemed to work. But it could be just a coincidence. Have to try it again tomorrow (they only bother me during lunchtime, it's too cold for them at night -- I've managed to shoot them in mid-air at night because they fly very slowly).

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I have never been able to try and 'think away' mosquitoes either.

Taking an accessive amount of vitamin B can keep them off you for they HATE the smell and wont bite you.......for the most part............

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Avoid eating Bananas before going outdoors where there are likely mosquitos, I forget exactly why, but you start to give off some odor they looooove.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
This happens to me all the time. When I'm locked in battle with a fly, it is normally not on the best conditions, I tend to be equipped with a size 13 shoe in my hand, verus the live, flying insect,

I have managed to catch it within my bare hands, cupped, after trying for a few minutes. But once i accidently smashed one inbetween my fingers it was pretty gross, so I didn't do that again.

Anyways, after I get a near miss, or if I get an area-of-effect hit, say I miss the fly but come down with massive force with my shoe like millimeters beside it, the force will push it away from the location violently. To the fly this is the same thing as being attacked, so they goto step 2 of their survival process. Step 1 is evasion.

Step 2 is hiding. Once I get a near hit, those things fly behind the shades, or behind the bed, or desk .. whatever they can hide on. Then its as easy as locate and smush.

Alternatively, a good way to remove flies from YOUR room, but into the next room, simply turn off all light creating sources in your room, the monitor and tv included, and turn the brightest lights on outside of your room, and leave the door wide open.

The fly will immediately fly out of the room every single freaking time, you can do a scientific experiment and get these results. They must not be able to see in the dark, so they fly towards the nearest light source.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by Vanitas

Yeah, it's an actual question. I wanted to know if anyone else notices this, this 'sixth sense' that flies seem to have.

No, can't say that I have. They seem to just wait for me to kill them.

Perhaps it's just a special bond that you and the flies have that enables you to communicate with them in this way.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
Why not develop a virus that only targets mosquitoes!
That would surely solve your problem.

DDT works great against mosquitoes. Unfortunately, a cadre of tobacco lobbyists forced a ban on it, resulting in a surprising upsurge in malaria worldwide. Too bad.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Could be. I guess I'm more in tune with nature than others

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
In all seriousness, somewhere on ATS is a thread about how, in a scientifically controlled setting, it was proven that humans can "sense" up to six seconds into the future.

Subjects were shown images, some graphic others not. When shown the graphic images the test subject's facial features starting making a "grimace" up to six seconds before actually viewing the picture. However, there was no facial reaction prior to being shown the non-graphic picture.

Seeing as how animals (insects?) have much keener instincts than humans, I think it's entirely reasonable to postulate that the fly knows its doom is imminent unless he takes evasive action.

His instincts tell him that he is about to meet the rubber band of death and so he un-asses the area.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
They don't have a sixth sense, they're just incredibly stupid. They can't understand that your trying to kill them, therefore they always come back. The only way to make them aware that they are going to die is if you kill all their buddies. That freaks them out because they don't know what happened to all their friends. So then they hide and come back when nobodies been in the room for awhile.

I personally hate flies like hitler hated the jews. I like to stun them, and then slowly kill them by sticking a flame next to their disgusting bodies.
When I was a kid, I used to spray all sorts of household cleaners on them.

I hate them so much that I want all of them to be wiped out by slow and painful death.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wildcat

Goodness, it sounds as if flies might be the least of your problems...good luck with that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join