It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush exempts U.S. Navy from environmental law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Bush exempts U.S. Navy from environmental law

enews.earthlink.net

WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush exempted the U.S.Navy from an environmental law so it can continue using sonar in its anti-submarine warfare training off the California coast. Critics say the practice critics is harmful to whales and other marine mammals.

The White House announced Wednesday that Bush had signed the exemption Tuesday while traveling in the Middle East.

The Navy training exercises, including the use of sonar, "are in the paramount interest of the United States" and its national security, Bush said in a memorandum.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 16-1-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

[edit on 16-1-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
More of Bushes complete disregard for the environment. I guess this should probably not come as any suprise based on his history of decimating the environment for furthering he and his cronies interests...

enews.earthlink.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
That makes me sick. Sonar dependent mammals like whales and dolphins are beaching themselves because of this crap.

On a side note, I'm tired of hearing the words "National Security". That's their excuse for everything these days.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
What does "exepts" mean?

If I knew what it means I might agree with you.

I think folks here need to do some research before so readily agreeing with blaming the Navy for all the beached critters.

Last time I checked, they had yet to conclusively prove that the types of SONAR that the NAVY uses were causing the problems.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
ex·empt /ɪgˈzɛmpt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ig-zempt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to free from an obligation or liability to which others are subject; release: to exempt a student from an examination.
–adjective 2. released from, or not subject to, an obligation, liability, etc.: organizations exempt from taxes.
–noun 3. a person who is exempt from an obligation, duty, etc.
4. (in Britain) exon.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

That is not how he/she had it spelled the first time.

Apprently folks are feeling a little too serious here today.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, at least some Fed judges haven't been bought off yet. Nice to see someone not cowering down to the dictator's will to do everything he pleases....

Navy not exempt from california sonar curbs

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - President George W. Bush should not have exempted the Navy from obeying laws intended to protect endangered whales and other marine mammals by curbing the use of sonar off the California coast, a federal judge ruled on Monday.

In the latest twist of a long-running battle between environmentalists and the Navy, U.S. District Judge Florence-Marie Cooper rejected the argument that the Navy was exempt from federal environmental law because of what it said was an urgent need to properly train its sailors to detect quiet submarines.

The district court on January 3 barred the Navy's use of powerful submarine-hunting mid-frequency active radar within 12 miles

of the coast, protecting a strip of water that is habitat for whales, dolphins and other marine mammals.

The court also imposed other restrictions, including a stipulation that the Navy switch off sonar if marine mammals are spotted within 2,200 yards of sonar vessels.

Full story

www.reuters.com...

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
The district court on January 3 barred the Navy's use of powerful submarine-hunting mid-frequency active radar within 12 miles

I have a few questions after reading this:

1. Does anyone at Reuters actucally fact check anymore?
2. Is there such a thing as a passive radar?
3. Has anyone hunted a sub with radar since WWII?

As for DD's comments, whatever dude.

How do they plan on enforcing this ban out there? Are they going to put people on each ship and ensure compliance? Are they going to fund their own listening system to ensure they do not use MFA?

top topics

join