It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brain Theory: Have Cosmologists Lost Theirs?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
"you yourself reading this article are more likely to be some momentary fluctuation in a field of matter and energy out in space"

Yes I'm made of atoms. My hand which I chose to move and pick up a cup of tea as i read this, is a cluster of energy popping in and out of existence. As the tea moved towards my mouth all the different tangles of energy and matter swirled around one another until it reached my mouth and the second law of thermodynamics followed as I poured it down my throat. The energy exchange during this movement of atoms quarks gluons and opther subatomic partilces across the multiverse was massive, so massive I burned my mouth.

Thats the point I burned my mouth that's what happened that's what I felt and that's what I remember. At some point from the subatomic level to me and my tea, things got "real".

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

Some of the original discovers of QM agreed with you about the 'potentiality' interpretation of quantum mechanics. But that debate has gone on for 80+ years, and people like Bell, and now others, tried to test that idea.

I'm still trying to get my head around the potential results of the latest 'realism' experiments. To see if I can come up with a summary of what QM means to me. For now, I can only admit to not being able to summarize the latest findings in a coherent picture.

Oddly enough, I was at a party with my wife and she was talking about a a 'parallel universe' episode of the Stargate show. I then brought up my thought experiment about how in a multiverse, there is a version of the universe in which one is accidentally a God and lives forever. We were talking to a physics-oriented engineer. He turned to me and said:

1) The earth experiences mass extinctions on a periodic basis.
2) He didn't like Star Gate as they don't portray the aliens the way they really are
3) A story I can't tell here cause I don't want to get military people in trouble.

It was that conversation, and a few others, that made me start re-assessing my hard-line stance against UFO people.

Anyway, I side-tracked this whole topic by talking about QM. The whole Boltzman's brain thing really just comes down to classic statistical mechanics. And the idea that time before I was born was an accidental illusion is just fascinating.

[edit on 18-1-2008 by Ectoterrestrial]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
That's ok...I had figured that with this kind of topic...there will be people who would tend to wander away...The immense possibility that this field of study generates is mind boggling.I thinkmost of the existing laws of physics and metaphysics would become corrollaries or subset of a find like this if proven.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join