It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What’s wrong with purposely causing the extinction of animals?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Jeez Andre, have you been eating 'silly cereal' for breakfast boy ???

It's already been mentioned a few times ... but that 'food-chain' thing is pretty important to the survival of life on our planet (however difficult it is for you to see that point).

Andre, I've had you listed as one of my 'friends' since you joined ... I liked your innocense, it was refreshing ... but at the moment I'm in 'mom-mode' and I want to give you a piece of maternal advise;

'DO NOT THINK OUT LOUD' !

It makes you come across like this
and that makes me feel like this

Believe it or not I can sort of understand the youthful (nicer than immature), point you were trying to make for example;
I have a totally irrational fear of butterfies and moths ... and if they became extinct tomorrow, I wouldn't shed any tears ... but I know that as ugh, 'flesh creeping', as they are (to me) it ain't gonna happen and if it did ... it would upset the delicate balance of that bloody 'food-chain' dammit !!!

So trust me sugar, there is nothing 'logical' in the words you write ... not in the real world anyways.

Save a copy of your OP, and review it in a few years ... just to see if you understand why this thread was a bad idea.

For now, bite the bullet and take the flack like a man.

Woody

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Again, painfully ignorant and ill-informed.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The food chain:

Lets go back say a week from now…..about 50 or more species would have died in that period of time…..50….since then the food chain revolving around those species has either changed or the animals depending on those 50 species have also died off,
and yet life goes on….the entire food chain of life…in the animal kingdom and such keeps going….we keep going on…..the extinction of say another 100 selected by us humans….does in noway disrupt, disturb any balance….

So please tell me what’s wrong with killing off a few deadly snakes and spiders and insects etc….

[edit on 16-1-2008 by andre18]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
So please tell what’s wrong with killing off a few deadly snakes and spiders and insects etc….

For an answer, go back and read my post near the top of page 2. Potentially, a few minor species could go extinct and it wouldn't have much of an effect on mankind, and that's because we live in these concrete worlds of shrink-wrapped food and plastic. So that in itself is not the reason why killing species is wrong.

The reason killing species is wrong is that it isn't our right to. If we have a problem with 'pesky' insects, perhaps we need to examine our own relationship with them before pointing the finger at them. Essentially, if they bother us, that's our problem not theirs.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Andre, did you ever see "The Butterfly Effect" ???

Thing is, if you make minor changes you are suggesting, you have no way at all knowing how those changes will affect the environment over hundreds, thousands or more years...

The theory says "Even the smallest change has an effect, and that effect snowballs exponentially over time...Take a look a million years later, and compare it so a sim if the changes hadn't been made..."

You'd be shocked...

We shouldn't go there mate, not our place...We we're created, only the Creator(s) has that privilege...

Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
To be put simply, birds and other creatures like them feast on "creepy crawlies" are you suggesting we get rid of these birds?

Without bees, then polination wouldn't exist and we would have to work extra hard to do their jobs for them.

So here is a little webpage which hopefully you will "get".

Link

Peace out

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

The food chain:

Lets go back say a week from now…..about 50 or more species would have died in that period of time…..50….since then the food chain revolving around those species has either changed or the animals depending on those 50 species have also died off,
and yet life goes on….the entire food chain of life…in the animal kingdom and such keeps going….we keep going on…..the extinction of say another 100 selected by us humans….does in noway disrupt, disturb any balance….

So please tell me what’s wrong with killing off a few deadly snakes and spiders and insects etc….

So assuming what you said here, you have no understanding of ecosystems?

If 50 species became extinct last month, then maybe that was for a reason!

If we select 100 to "exterminate" then what are the chances that we completely disrupt the ecosystem of those respected food chains?

If we kill all the snakes, birds that feed on them will have to go elsewhere for food, and because that food is in high demand, that species becomes extinct, then the birds have no food and become extinct and so on and so forth.

Grow a pair, and admit your wrong kid.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

It’s not our planet……? Say you have a predator of some sort whether it be a dingo, jackal, wolf what ev…..it as a living thing ..as a carnivore will take charge as the dominant species of the land……the same goes for sharks in the ocean….nothing can challenge it….there are other predators though…lions, bears, tigers…etc…all surviving all at each others throats…trying to become to top gun of nature, it will not hesitate to challenge a adversary if need be…it doesn’t care about any other living thing but itself…..it must survive…..I have seen my share of animal docs where certain animals help and protect others…that’s fine….but when it comes down to their own basic survival…it’s all about themselves….. if they had the choice to kill off every single predator that could challenge them they would….they can co-exist with them because the threat is not high enough….

Simply put animals don’t give a (…..) about another creatures but themselves…..
there is but one exception I will take, which is the dolphin……

And so my question then is…why should we give a damn about them….when they don’t give damn about us….?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Let me also ask,

Would you be annoyed, if some guy moved into your neighbourhood, took control of everything? killed your friends if they annoyed him and bossed you around, eat your food, built his own house over yours.

Because thats what mankind has done to the animal kingdom.

We are that "some guy" who came along after all these ecosystems had been established for years.

What right do we have? We are more intelligent I hear you say. Turn the page.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Hi, some people keep these animals as pets, and as mentioned before they are part of an ecosystem, what if there was some alien lifeform like some crazy people think and they thought, hmmm, lets get rid of the humans,all they do is pollute our earth, what would we think then?if some alien life came and Zapped us ??? not great is it

So, in short, f%^& off mate, herptologists would lose a hoby if snakes or lizards werekilled off, and hertarians would lose a job, as they are the people we take our reptiles to if there sick. and they do there best to help us, so as i said,go get f%^&ed mate!(Sorrymods if this sounds harsh, but it is my opinion and it offens me sayingget rid of snake,or any spiders,or any insect infact)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOmen

"We are more intelligent I hear you say"

Well yes we are....we are the dominant species on this planet….the dominant species….we can do what ever we want…..I don’t believe in a god figure…an atheist all the way…..and so as we are the dominant species on this planet….we can literally do what ever we want period…..it’s not like mother earth is going to stop us…..or maybe she will…

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Wow, I cannot believe this guy actually got 3 pages of responses

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

This is not even worth responding to. If you are serious, then you are very misguided.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

You are a very misguided/disturbed child.

So what if we are the dominant species?

Just because I'm a big guy, does that give me the right to go around treating people the way I want just because I can?

Dude, you are messed up in your beliefs.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I think people are once again missing the point…..animals become extinct every single day….and yet our civilisation lives on….what’s a couple more…..think about it….I don’t understand……

Say we made up our minds one day to kill off a particular type of animal, insect, what ever it may be…just one….and they day we do it…we find they have just recently died from natural causes of extinction…what’s the difference between us and nature ?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOmen

The food chain:

So assuming what you said here, you have no understanding of ecosystems?

If 50 species became extinct last month, then maybe that was for a reason!

If we select 100 to "exterminate" then what are the chances that we completely disrupt the ecosystem of those respected food chains?

If we kill all the snakes, birds that feed on them will have to go elsewhere for food, and because that food is in high demand, that species becomes extinct, then the birds have no food and become extinct and so on and so forth.

Grow a pair, and admit your wrong kid.

Did you even read this?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I dont think you have to worry about it everything seems to be dieing off anyways, arent we in a period of mass extinction? Everyday entire species go extinct. The circle of life is already broken and its a matter of time and we will be on that list.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Time to tune out folks, sadly...

It seems Andre "simply" doesn't get it no matter no how...He has had plenty of views completely opposing what he is suggesting to those supporting them on a conditional local basis (if bugs or mozzies are annoying you locally, then you deal with them)

But still this isn't good enough...

The best practice is to light candles where there are mozzies or use zappers...This doesn't kill em all..Sure, place baits for rats...But first clean up, and make sure they don't have a way in...

Surely thats better for everyone and better than completely wiping out whole species as Andre said ?

Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by andre18

No, sorry kiddo we cannot do whatever we want. If we could this planet would be a barren wasteland with few vestiges of life remaining on it only to slowly die on it's own. Have you not noticed everyone ELSE disagreeing? Have you stopped to ponder why all of these people oppose you ridiculous ill-informed, and plain stupid post? Have you any idea what a biospherical chain reaction is?
The URL below is an example of what would happen if just the bees were gone. And what the repercussions could be.

Stop this silly argument, it's immature and reminds of thing my 4 year old niece would say.

www.allheadlinenews.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Andre, I think your biology teacher must be cringing right now. As mentioned before, there is a food chain that shouldn't be broken. Rats, snakes and bugs are a necessary part of life; that's all there is to it, it's a fact, quit ignoring it.
I think these things are fascinating. I love bees, spiders, mice, etc. I had the good fortune to have been able to go to Brazil and stay in the jungle for awhile. One morning, I woke up and went outside. Right there in front of me was a beautiful spider web, about 5 ft. across. There was a huge spider in the middle of the web and the dew had fallen in the night, creating a web full of little water droplets. When the sun shone on it, it looked like a web of diamonds. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I'll always remember that, because it's what helped me get over my fear of spiders.

All creation is beautiful, man, learn to enjoy the wonder of it instead of hating it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join