It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There A Conspiracy Of Atheists To Overthrow Christianity?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Thank you and AshleyD for finding some closure on this. On a topic such as this, it is easy to get side-tracked on a lot of issues. I do appreciate your involvement here.
I guess that I am a hopeless optimist that believes that mankind will find ways to co-exist peacefully. Thank you all. Let us continue with the topic of, 'Is there a conspiracy of, Atheists to overthrow Christianity?'

Or do you folks feel like we've pretty well covered all the bases on this subject?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by skyshow
I simply asked you to explain to me your interpretation of it

Why skyshow? with you insisting on splitting hairs over something YOU don't approve of perhaps she should explain she doesn't seek your approval much less desires to. I realize you haven't picked up on that yet and that you can't get over it but that's your problem. She isn't here to explain to you what you don't understand NOR is she obligated to

If I knew it was going to get you this bent out of shape I would have made those posts JUST for that reason.

Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill

- Con

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

Yes I think we have covered it, and let me say that I would like to make a public apology because I went back and have reread a bunch of posts prior to (having not realized that others had posted cartoons and such, I hadn't read those pages, just the last cartoon and thought it was a "cheep shot" and now after I looked back having not read several pages of previous posts -my fault--come to find out it wasn't so I'm sorry for that Ashley.) and as Ashley explained she meant it differently...I interpreted it differently than she had intended, and then I over reacted and things got out of hand partly due to me pushing the envelope...I'm sorry for that, sorry for any hard feelings, and for apparently over-reacting, and for it getting off topic.

I do find the topic area very interesting however, coming out of Christianity myself, and having been associated with the "free thought" movement, etc... from this point forward I will try to keep things on topic, and so, thanks everyone, and I accept Ashley's previous explanations, I regretfully jumped to conclusions.

I plan to research things in this area some, and may later post something if it will contribute in some meaningful way. That said, and I haven't voiced this yet I don't believe, but I don't think it's a conspiracy per se, but rather a philosophy that tends to pull Christians or believers of any relgion away from their faith, but when it does, it's neither intentional nor unintentional, it's more or less two philosophies bumping up against one another, and the person weighs the evidence for him or herself and then decides if or if not to believe the faith...but with Atheism, there is nothing to believe, except for the alleged false assumptions of the "faith" based system. What I find interesting, is when science looks to "measure" the great unknown, as it were, and finds some evidence for something beyond "nothing" (ie: journal of near death studies....research of prayer efficacy...) Then there is something beyond just the "subjective", but even then the Atheists and skeptics begin to try to debunk the methodology...for example claiming that the light and tunnel is simply random firing of the neurons resulting in "visions" of these things...yet a closer look seems to find evidence of cognition beyond the physical death that is really difficult to disprove such as the person being able to account for things going on in another room after they "died" etc...and then having that account backed up by someone who was actually there. Given that it's plausible that we have three groups here: Atheists (who believe in "nothing"., the Christian who believes in that belief system., and the other (what name do they have? Agnostic?) who doesn't believe in the Christian organized faith, but who also believes in more than just "nothing"...I think I'm more in this third group...

Anyway, Thanks for reading my post(s), and again, I'm sorry for getting so bent out of shape, as Con rightfully pointed out, and contributing to moving the topic off rail...it wasn't intentional (lol), and you are right Sizzle, it's sometimes difficult given the nature of these discussions...

Great thread! Sure does get one thinking!

[edit on 6-2-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

That's really a great outlook, Skyshow. You really restore my faith in a lot of things. Thank you for that.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
As for the conspiracy to overthrow religion,, it is a FACT and Atheism is using there NON status to do it. You see as all this crap about what they think religion does specifically the Christian religion is what THEY believe and because they say they don't believe in GOD isn't enough for them they want to get everyone to NOT believe in GOD.

Now as a Christian we should consider this a serious threat and YES it is because GOD says to. You see they see Religion as a threat because believing in GOD to them is stupid. We see what they are doing as a threat because it is more then lives at stake to us,, it is the immortal soul of those they want to dumb down to believing their great ancestor was Magilla Gorilla.

Now Mel who likes to say "Con has God speaking to him telling him that God has wrath for him or that if I obey a biblical moral code what if God told you this or that would you do it?

I never answer that kind of garbage because I see it for what it is
what if this what if that. what if his aunt had balls she would be his uncle is what if. We have a egomaniacle imbecile named Dick Dawkins going on tour to mock, make fun of and belittle Christians and their religion he wants to convert people to atheism a so called non religion. They even call it preaching and call him the high priest of atheism. I hope to god this goes to his head and screws up yet a THIRD marriage for the reprobate.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

I call it a cult and that's what it is because the idea that we are here by happenstance is absurd to me. If they disagree,, so be it I think arguing with atheists is even more stupid then their idiotic agenda for a world without religion. Sam Harris is another and Christopher Hitchens another.

Do you think all this whining and crying about seeing GOD on or coins is just a few people with god issues? NO they have spent lots of money in law suits using separation of church and state to have it removed. Then there is prayer in school GOT to get rid of that ,, then there is Christmas which they argue is a pagan holiday and they have every intention of bringing it back to it's so called pagan roots. They act like they are about to vomit when seeing the baby Jesus in any nativity scene and start arguing to have so called pagan crap strewn all around nativity scenes to ruin the entire display and they sue the city unless they are allowed to or take the christian scene down. Every year I see more and more people afraid to say "Merry Christmas because some Christian hating atheist polluted our minds with the political correcting virtues of not offending anyone with the neo atheist expletive or anything containing the word "Christ".

The only time I see them ok with using it is when they use the lords name in vain. And while they talk about murdering Christians they support partial Birth Abortions. They will correct you that was no baby and say " you mean fetus don't you?" Then they have the unmittigated audacity to say we are abusing our children.

Atheism HATEs being called a religion but what they are is a Godless philosophy, a cult for the celebration of man.

A strategy of Intelligent Design supporters who they call Far from being a scholarly and scientific research program, Intelligent Design was an alternative to evolution one they reject as I would understand you see they use there science to promote there religion of atheism but since they are not a religion then I say what is the big deal with converting people to atheism using evolution to do it? OH well that's because Religion is so evil so many wars so many killings you do child abuse raising your children that way etc. NO they think that ANY I mean any mention of a creator be it the Christian God or what ever is RELIGION and on that basis was it rejected as a means for injecting more religion, theism, and Christianity into schools and American culture. While Mel suggests that when I say Atheism = evolutionist I say YOU GOT THAT RIGHT and Dawkins intends to use it the same way YOU say Christians were going to use ID. They say O but how can we be using for a religion when we are not religious?

This crap isn't fooling me and I don't care what they say they are a cult and they enjoy a monopoly of sorts where They say religion isn't allowed. They want every reminder of God and Religion GONE if it takes several generations to do it but it is so obvious as it should be to every Christian. Dawkins says there are 20 million of them and his groupies at his traveling A-vangelism for atheism pseudoscience salvation shows are packing em in by the thousands.

Sounds like its a lot more then just people who don't believe in GOD

I think once a Christian realizes he is talking to a Atheist they should assume they are talking to the enemy and rebuke them as the monkey minded memeplex they think they all came from.

Christians are disciplined thinkers Atheist call themselves "free thinkers" They don't just NOT believe in GOD they abhor our GOD

Just watch the video and read the books by the leading Atheist priests and they are quite candid about it.

If Christians don't start waking up and start getting some of this legislation they have planned to remove the word GOD and Faith from the English language we will end up just like other atheistic society's that were responsible for the most massive genocides in history and usually took Christians who fought in wars to stop them while they blamed it on religion hiding under there NON religious status.

Madd says he isn't a fundamentalist atheist.

Just do what they do,, when ever you correct them about slavery or the numerous biblical contradictions in they keep using in a convoluted dis contextual bastardized attempt at understanding our Bible they just keep repeating it in spite of the correction you give them.

Yeah he is a Fundamentalist Atheist and Atheism is a cult with as overzealous a population of followers who follow behind the guise of there own free thinking.

While every thought that is put in there heads is the authored by the author of confusion composer of all lies and it threatens the immortal soul of everyone it can infect

They can deny it all they like but just think about it

You will see all this come to pass and it's

in every one of there best selling books

We need to start calling it like

IT IS and It is Paganism

and it hates the

Christian GOD

- Con

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology
As for the conspiracy to overthrow religion,, it is a FACT and Atheism is using there NON status to do it.

for the last damn time:
atheism
is
NOT
an
organized,
coherent
group

stop referring to it in such an ignorant manner

the largest atheist group in america has 2,200 members, i just checked the official numbers on that
stop referring to "atheism" as an organization, it's a lack of belief and nothing more.

You see as all this crap about what they think religion does specifically the Christian religion is what THEY believe

no, it's actually what we can back up with cold, hard facts. we can tell you that christianity does x, y, and z, then provide you with evidence to support christianity doing x, y, and z.

and because they say they don't believe in GOD isn't enough for them they want to get everyone to NOT believe in GOD.

...well, apparently you don't pay attention to what a lot of the prominent atheists say.
christopher hitchens, author of "god is not great", has specifically said that he doesn't believe everyone is going to be an atheist

and isn't your belief in jesus enough for you to want to have everyone believe in jesus?
why can't we have the same benefit from our unbelief?

Now as a Christian we should consider this a serious threat

why? we're not threatening physical harm, we're seeking a spread of atheism through consciousness raising, not through force (unlike how certain groups have spread their ideas over the centuries)

and YES it is because GOD says to.

actually, the bible doesn't really say that atheists are to be considered as a threat
maybe we're to be considered as fools, but nowhere does it say that we're a threat

You see they see Religion as a threat because believing in GOD to them is stupid.

...no
we see it as a threat because it leads people to do very bad and destructive things. it turns an otherwise sensible, good person into an intolerant barbarian.
it leads to a spread of ignorance, a denial of scientific truth, and a corruption of morality.

We see what they are doing as a threat because it is more then lives at stake to us,, it is the immortal soul of those they want to dumb down to believing their great ancestor was Magilla Gorilla.

...dumb down? wanting to increase awareness to scientific truth is now dumbing down?
clearly you need to read up on your evolutionary biology
we didn't evolve from gorillas, nobody in the scientific community would state such (unless they go insane or don't work in the field of biology...), we share a common ancestor

and guess what? we have scientific evidence to back it all up.

Now Mel who likes to say "Con has God speaking to him telling him that God has wrath for him or that if I obey a biblical moral code what if God told you this or that would you do it?

I never answer that kind of garbage because I see it for what it is
what if this what if that.

...it's not garbage. you're only being obedient, you're not being moral. morality is being good when nobody is watching.

if you had the chance to kill without reprisal from god, but not authorization from god, would you do it?

it's a legitimate, logical question.

what if his aunt had balls she would be his uncle is what if.

i had a theology teacher that said the exact same thing when i pointed out that he was wrong on an issue once....
odd
but i'm sure you're not him, no st. louisian in his right mind would say he's a cubs fan.

We have a egomaniacle imbecile named Dick Dawkins

ad hom...
[sarcasm]
nice job with the personal attacks there!
[/sarcasm]

going on tour to mock, make fun of and belittle Christians and their religion he wants to convert people to atheism a so called non religion.

could you show me evidence of him actually mocking, making fun of, and belittling christians?

i'm not saying he doesn't do those things to their beliefs...but the beliefs and the people aren't the same thing. and he always talks about the beliefs in a reasoned manner. it's not like he's saying "the trinity? that's just a bunch of poop!"

They even call it preaching and call him the high priest of atheism.

it's called being funny
we also refer to dawkins, dennet, hitchens, and harris as the "four horsemen"
we have a sense of humor about these things, something that some of the religious seem to be lacking (notice i said some)

I hope to god this goes to his head and screws up yet a THIRD marriage for the reprobate.

[sarcasm]
wow, more personal attacks!
nice job with loving your enemy
[/sarcasm]

www.timesonline.co.uk...

lovely, informative article

I call it a cult and that's what it is because the idea that we are here by happenstance is absurd to me.

wow, a cult based entirely on believing nothing and not following blindly...

If they disagree,, so be it I think arguing with atheists is even more stupid then their idiotic agenda for a world without religion.

wow, now you're just calling our ideas stupid...
it's like you lack this thing called an "argument"

Sam Harris is another and Christopher Hitchens another.

well, they're actually quite different.
you'll see hitchens, harris, dawkins, and dennet approach the same thing from very different angles.
try reading their respective books and be open minded
in the least, if you still completely disagree, you'll understand exactly where they're coming from and how they differ on some things

Do you think all this whining and crying about seeing GOD on or coins is just a few people with god issues?

god issues?
it's called supporting constitutional law on the separation of church..
as well as not giving in to the traditions of cold war paranoia....

NO they have spent lots of money in law suits using separation of church and state to have it removed.

well, it shouldn't be in there in the first place...

Then there is prayer in school GOT to get rid of that ,,

that's a myth
children of any religion can pray in school, just not audibly or in a way that causes disturbance. if a child wants to pray to mecca, he has to go to the hallway to do so
if a christian wants to quietly meditate on the bible when they're finished with an assignment, they're allowed to
they got rid of school led prayer, that's a completely different thing

then there is Christmas which they argue is a pagan holiday

um...it was original a pagan holiday
santa claus, look at him! he's based entirely off of wotan!
the celebration centers around a phallus!
it falls on a solstice!

and they have every intention of bringing it back to it's so called pagan roots.

actually, that's the pagans
we just want people to be informed of the pagan roots

They act like they are about to vomit when seeing the baby Jesus in any nativity scene

not really, we don't care about nativity scenes on private land...well, unless they're particularly ugly looking, but then it's that person/church's choice.

and start arguing to have so called pagan crap strewn all around nativity scenes to ruin the entire display and they sue the city unless they are allowed to or take the christian scene down.

yeah, it's called the first amendment. if there is one religious display, you must allow for all religious displays or none

Every year I see more and more people afraid to say "Merry Christmas because some Christian hating atheist polluted our minds with the political correcting virtues of not offending anyone with the neo atheist expletive or anything containing the word "Christ".

really? because i keep getting people telling me merry christmas randomly
and then when i say happy holidays to people i tend to get a very spiteful sounding merry christmas, as if it should hurt me...
...i just say happy holidays because i grew up around people of various religions
and because it includes happy new year and boxing day.
i dont' want to have to say "merry christmas, happy boxing day, and have a happy new year"
it's a mouthful

The only time I see them ok with using it is when they use the lords name in vain.

really?
i don't see atheists having a problem with the use of any deity's name for any purpose unless it's a state...

And while they talk about murdering Christians they support partial Birth Abortions. They will correct you that was no baby and say " you mean fetus don't you?"

wow...just wow...
so now every single atheist has the exact same political beliefs too?
that's highly offensive. i don't support partial birth abortions, yet you immediately label me as such due to your bigoted view of my lack of religion.

Then they have the unmittigated audacity to say we are abusing our children.

ahem...you ARE
can a child be a republican? no
can a child be a democrat? no
can a child be a socialist? no

then how can a child support complicated theology?
you force your religious beliefs on them before they have the capacity to disagree with you on a significant level.

...though that's far from the worst of it
have you ever heard of "hell houses"?

ok, continuing in the next post, as i'm almost out of characters.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Christians are disciplined thinkers Atheist call themselves "free thinkers" They don't just NOT believe in GOD they abhor our GOD

I'm not an atheist by any stretch, but in their defense, your god IS rather abhorrent. He's like a small man with a large gun.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Atheism HATEs being called a religion but what they are is a Godless philosophy, a cult for the celebration of man.

atheism can't really hate anything, as it's a single belief with no organization...
atheists hate it when we're told we have a religion

and cult
you keep using that word, but i don't think it means what you think it means

i looked up the definition, can you tell me why you'd call us a cult, or is that more bigotry?

A strategy of Intelligent Design supporters who they call Far from being a scholarly and scientific research program,

intelligent design has no scientific basis... it makes no predictions
and it's entirely unscientific when the "intelligent designer" is outside the realm of...science

if it was a real science, the scientific community would embrace it. they've embraced ideas that they didn't like before, and they'll do it again

so long as they are given substantial scientific evidence.

Intelligent Design was an alternative to evolution one they reject as I would understand

it's as much an alternative to evolution as the flying spaghetti monster creation story is.

show me the science

you see they use there science to promote there religion of atheism but since they are not a religion then I say what is the big deal with converting people to atheism using evolution to do it?

well, it converted douglas "awesome" adams (ok, maybe nobody else calls him by that nickname, but he is quite awesome)
evolution shows us that the development of life happens through natural mechanisms, thus we don't need a creator.
...and we aren't promoting atheism, we're really promoting science
plenty of theists accept evolution

ok, seriously, formatting. this is getting progressively unreadable and i really want to respond to everything.
please proofread next time. this is just randomly placed constructive criticism, not an attack

OH well that's because Religion is so evil so many wars so many killings you do child abuse raising your children that way etc.

yep. pretty much.

NO they think that ANY I mean any mention of a creator be it the Christian God or what ever is RELIGION and on that basis was it rejected as a means for injecting more religion, theism, and Christianity into schools and American culture.

welllll...it's not just us
a judge kind of ruled that way too...
....and he was a bush appointee, so i doubt he was an atheist liberal activist judge...

and if we mention a creator idea, we must mention all creator ideas...
that would be impossible to do over the course of a semester or even a school year
then there's the simple fact that things not based in science have no place in the science room...

While Mel suggests that when I say Atheism = evolutionist I say YOU GOT THAT RIGHT

well, not really...
but it can lead one to realize their preconceptions which were the only things supporting their theism were wrong...

however, there are many, many theists that support evolution.

and Dawkins intends to use it the same way YOU say Christians were going to use ID.

...but not in schools. he doesn't push for teachers making a statement over the existence of god. dawkins is pushing for doing this OUTSIDE the classroom...

and evolution is science, thus it has a place in the science class.

They say O but how can we be using for a religion when we are not religious?

well, we're not going to do it in the classroom...show me where dawkins says that he will...

This crap isn't fooling me

again, you can't even come up with a logical argument so you just name call..

and I don't care what they say they are a cult

again, you defame.
you can't even demonstrate how we're a cult, you just saw we are.

and they enjoy a monopoly of sorts where They say religion isn't allowed.

no, we don't. you see, we don't get to go into a classroom saying that there is no evidence that god exists and that belief in him is irrational...
so, again, you're spreading misinformation.

They want every reminder of God and Religion GONE

no, we don't. we admire the architecture of churches and i've seen dawkins say that knowing the bible is instrumental to understanding the development of history...

if it takes several generations to do it but it is so obvious as it should be to every Christian.

only obvious to those that aren't paying attention to anyone but the guy spreading bigotry.

Dawkins says there are 20 million of them

...no, he says there are 20 million of us in the USA.

and his groupies at his traveling A-vangelism for atheism pseudoscience salvation shows are packing em in by the thousands.

wow, now you're calling it pseudoscience...and you can't even back up that claim!

Sounds like its a lot more then just people who don't believe in GOD

well, it's obvious that some see the belief in god as something corrosive, so we kind of tend to not want to ignore it...

I think once a Christian realizes he is talking to a Atheist they should assume they are talking to the enemy

so you should love us like jesus commanded?

and rebuke them as the monkey minded memeplex they think they all came from.

oh.........so i guess you don't really like what the jesus guy had to say...
and more ad homs...wonderful

Christians are disciplined thinkers

disciplined in ignoring reason....

Atheist call themselves "free thinkers"

yep, we're free of religion.

They don't just NOT believe in GOD they abhor our GOD

well...
tis a bit more complicated than that
i like the jesus part, that's cool, aside from the theological parts and a few small points of disagreement. the hell part i do abhor.
the jealous, genocidal father part, not so much
the holy spirit...i really have no opinion on, as it seems to just be a dove thingy that doesn't really do anything except pop in when people need a god-blast

now, other figures in religion, we have different views on. it depends on the acts of the individual deity and the theology of said deity.

Just watch the video and read the books by the leading Atheist priests and they are quite candid about it.

i suggest you do the same and then realize that those quotes you've been fed are more than a bit out of context

If Christians don't start waking up and start getting some of this legislation they have planned to remove the word GOD and Faith from the English language

...we aren't planning that at all...
we just want to repeal the act that placed god on money and overturn the executive order that put it in the pledge as well as remove it from our SECULAR democracy.

we will end up just like other atheistic society's that were responsible for the most massive genocides in history

japan was a theocratic state that viewed their emperor as a god...they committed horrible acts of genocide in WW2
the bible outlines the genocides carried out to conquer the promised land
rome's razing of carthage in the third punic "war" was carried out by pagans
nazi germany was christian

i think both sides have our fair share of atrocities...

and usually took Christians who fought in wars to stop them while they blamed it on religion hiding under there NON religious status.

you need to start studying history again. soviet russia helped stop nazi germany, a christian nation (hitler had a thing for that jesus guy and loved passion plays)
russia lost more people (soldier and civilian) than any other nation in that war

Madd says he isn't a fundamentalist atheist.

you haven't even defined what a fundamentalist atheist is! it's just a smear word you're using because lack an argument

Just do what they do,, when ever you correct them about slavery or the numerous biblical contradictions in they keep using in a convoluted dis contextual bastardized attempt at understanding our Bible they just keep repeating it in spite of the correction you give them.

except that never really happens...and i understand your "holy" book quite well. it's nothing special, it's just a product of its various time periods, thus abhorrent in many places because of the attitudes to women, slavery, rape, homosexuality, food, and religious tolerance of the times...

Yeah he is a Fundamentalist Atheist

what does that even mean?

and Atheism is a cult

you keep using that example of name calling...yet you'll never have a logical argument to support calling us a cult.

with as overzealous a population of followers who follow behind the guise of there own free thinking.

again, you can't support that statement, it's just a slur.

While every thought that is put in there heads is the authored by the author of confusion composer of all lies and it threatens the immortal soul of everyone it can infect

wow, so now all my thoughts come from satan....

They can deny it all they like but just think about it

You will see all this come to pass and it's

in every one of there best selling books

uh huh...

We need to start calling it like

IT IS and It is Paganism

when did not worshiping deities become worshiping multiple deities?

and it hates the

Christian GOD

...you clearly don't even understand what paganism is...

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
I'm not an atheist by any stretch, but in their defense, your god IS rather abhorrent. He's like a small man with a large gun.

God is Love. Who is YOUR God?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I laughed pretty hard when I saw this thread. I can't imagine an atheist being remotely interested in overthrowing Christianity. I've always gotten the impression that the former views the latter as more of a gnat, an annoying insect, than anything that needs to be overthrown.

I think atheists are more satisfied with watching Christianity's self-induced implosion. They really don't have to lift a finger to aid and abet the process.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Christians and atheists are both off the mark. Atheists are just closing their eyes and blocking their ears. Christians are being encouraged to follow a spiritual rulebook--never the best way to enlightenment. If you look you will find the path to true spirituality inside you already laid out.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
I laughed pretty hard when I saw this thread. I can't imagine an atheist being remotely interested in overthrowing Christianity. I've always gotten the impression that the former views the latter as more of a gnat, an annoying insect, than anything that needs to be overthrown.

I think atheists are more satisfied with watching Christianity's self-induced implosion. They really don't have to lift a finger to aid and abet the process.

Did you read my post about richard dawkins?

"CNSNews.com, 10/3/07: Religion Must Be Destroyed, Atheist Alliance Declares [Excerpts] -- Science must ultimately destroy organized religion, according to some of the leading atheist writers and intellectuals who spoke at a recent atheist conference in Northern Virginia. God is a myth, and children must not be schooled in any faith, they said, at the "Crystal Clear Atheism" event, sponsored by the Atheist Alliance International.

Some of the luminaries who spoke at the conference included Oxford professor Richard Dawkins, author Sam Harris and journalist Christopher Hitchens.

In his speech, Dawkins...denounced the "preposterous nonsense of religious customs" and compared religion to racism."

Apparently it's not a gnat.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
As for Dawkins and Martin Amis's buddy, Hitch, both are attacking organized religion, but really have nothing constructive or intelligent to say about the possibility that there may be more to this existence than we can observe with out five senses. I will agree organized religions are causing a lot of trouble in the world, but why attack the notion of god, when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Arrogance.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Silenceisall]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Here is an interesting thing one of my readers sent me the other day. Let me begin by saying I do not remotely believe our behavior is guided by astrology or that it can be predicted in the slightest bit by the stars. To me this is a pagan concept and sounds like total bunk but this is what some are saying:

We are in the "Age of Pisces" which is supposedly influencing our religious beliefs. The next "Age of Aquarius" is supposed to influence us away from religious beliefs and into an age of reason, science, and technology. They believe the Enlightenment began as we started to move out of Pisces and into Aquarius. Because of this shift, we are starting to "feel its effects." Once we fully enter the Age of Aquarius, religions will be a thing of the past.

Sounds way too "new age" for my tastes but they actually believe there is no conspiracy at all to overthrow religion and that this societal shift isn't even in our control. They are saying all religion will eventually be "phased out" as we enter a new age. I don't agree, obviously, and never even heard of this until I received the email but thought I'd mention it. The "phasing out" of religion is our own doing- not something controlled by celestial bodies.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Yahweh had a funny way of showing all that love. Even his "chosen people" got routine divine asskickings. And he doesn't seem to mind terribly that people are literally tearing themselves and others to shreds both physically and psychologically in his name. Perhaps if Yahweh is love, the Abrahamists need to start worshiping him, because you guys all really suck at it.

Myself, I revere (not worship, by the way) the world around me. I pay respect to the spirits of my ancestors - both familial and cultural, and I honor the two spirits that have chosen me as their own

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Here's a good site;
You may be a fundimentalist atheist.......

I especially liked this one;

" You're a spoiled fifteen year old boy who lives in the suburbs and you go into a chat room to declare that, "I know there is no God because no loving God would allow anyone to suffer as much as I...hold on. My cell phone's ringing."

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Love also has correction to go with it.
Because I love my children, I don't let them do ALL they want and when they do wrong, I correct them.
That's called Love.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

While Mel suggests that when I say Atheism = evolutionist I say YOU GOT THAT RIGHT and Dawkins intends to use it the same way YOU say Christians were going to use ID. They say O but how can we be using for a religion when we are not religious?

The post was as incoherent and worthless as revelations, so I'll just focus on this one part.

Evolution is just a theory in science, dude. Just like germ theory and atomic theory. Sorry it gets in the way of your little stories. Well, I'm not really, I couldn't give a fig.

Atheism = 'evolutionist'....hmmm...actually I don't think it does, but I certainly agree that most atheists are 'evolutionists', certainly the ones I have met.

However, that was not my point, you completely ignored the issue. The logical issue is suggesting that therefore all 'evolutionists' are atheists. Which you have implicitly and often explicitly suggested. That is most certainly wrong. So, it appears you need to go back to philosophy classes.

But I wouldn't expect you to let reason and logic get in the way of your thinking.

Carry on...

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies

Love also has correction to go with it.
Because I love my children, I don't let them do ALL they want and when they do wrong, I correct them.
That's called Love.

Absolutely. But I doubt you correct your children by killing them. You educate, but your god smites.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Mathew 10: 28;
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join