It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery signal picked up in Puerto Rico

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
SETI knows exactly what part of the sky a signal comes from. The radio telescopes are as accurate at positioning as the big optical telescope. The don't know anything till the data is collected and processed. If they get something, they know exactly where it came from and other radio astronomers focus on that position the signal was acquired to hopefully get more signal.

They say they have had nothing since the WOW! signal, just mistakes like satellites, pulsars and ionosphere bounce.

They are actually looking and scanning tens of thousands of frequencies a second at a tiny area of the sky. It takes time to go over all that data. Seti@Home does some of the massive processing for them using our home computers.

If you got a transmission it could be anything from anywhere. Even a baby monitor across the street. You have no way of knowing.

ZG

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This closes the case:

Source: www.seti.org...

Has a SETI Signal Been Detected

January 16, 2008
by Seth Shostak, SETI Institute

A news story from television station KTVU, Oakland (California) that appeared on the internet on January 15 has led some to believe that a credible radio signal from space may have been recently detected - a signal that might be ascribable to extraterrestrial intelligence.

This story, while obviously exciting, is somewhat misleading, and derives from some miscommunication between the reporter and Dan Werthimer, who runs the University of California, Berkeley SETI program.

Dan was describing Berkeley's new instrumentation for detecting very short radio pulses - a signal type that might be used by extraterrestrials to "ping" our world to get attention. He also mentioned the detection of such a pulse, a few months ago (not "last week", as reported in the internet story). That pulse was actually recorded by the Parkes Radio Telescope, in New South Wales, Australia several years ago during a search for pulsars, but only recently looked at by researchers at West Virginia University as they sifted through these old data. Their results were published on September 27 of last year.

The sudden burst of radio energy lasted only 0.005 seconds, and had spectral characteristics that suggested that it was from a distant galaxy, probably billions of light-years from us. Since the burst was seen only once, it is as yet unclear what produced it, although many scientists suspect that it was caused by the collision of two highly dense neutron stars. Radio astronomers are planning a search for more such radio bursters, as they may be a new (and clearly interesting) type of natural phenomenon.

This signal doesn't seem to have anything to do with SETI searches (and wasn't found as part of any such search), although until more "bursters" are found, its true nature will remain mysterious. It is certainly not claimed to be a SETI detection. For such a claim to be made, a signal would have to not only have the characteristics of a deliberate transmission, but would also need to be observed more than once - in order to verify its position on the sky, and to rule out the kind of brutal cosmic event that is probably responsible for the burst reported in September.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
i actually posted this too earlier this morning but my thread was shut down.

it's getting crowded in here - keeps happenin' to me. time to move on to greener pastures for this guy - will always remember you ats!

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlNextDoor
Apologies if this has been posted already. (I searched but didn't see it anywhere.)

Has ET Made a Call?

Across the globe, researchers searching for signs of life in space were abuzz this week with word that a mystery signal has been picked up by a giant radio-telescope in Puerto Rico.

While I don't really like the casual/humorous attitude of the report, the "Don't eat us" comment did make me laugh.

Mystery ****ing signal. What do you mean? They're all over us. It's an infestation. --------PC

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Guys..THIS IS the beginning of disclosure. It has been talked about and it is happening, most of here on ATS don't just believe but know that aliens do in fact exist.'

The government just will not be able to keep this secret any longer.

When disclosure comes and the people that you told aliens DON'T exist come up to you, try not to smile.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by rhombus24
Guys..THIS IS the beginning of disclosure. It has been talked about and it is happening, most of here on ATS don't just believe but know that aliens do in fact exist.'

The government just will not be able to keep this secret any longer.

When disclosure comes and the people that you told aliens DON'T exist come up to you, try not to smile.

"The beginning"? We're being overrun. Disclosure won't be necessary. -----------PC

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rhombus24

In the past few weeks I've been seeing more and more frequent MSM reports or mentions of UFOs.

I'm not sure if the "D" word is slowly on it's way or if it's more like when you buy a Yugo and then all of the sudden you see Yugo's everywhere.

(I'm a LeCar man myself, but I'm just trying to make a point.)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It hasnt been confirmed yet thats why- you cant go around saying its a message from aliens when it hasnt yet been confirmed- if they investigate and conclude that its forreal than that would be an event to see!

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dj05544
It hasnt been confirmed yet thats why- you cant go around saying its a message from aliens when it hasnt yet been confirmed- if they investigate and conclude that its forreal than that would be an event to see!

I'm still waiting for an update on the "Warren Commission" for the JFK matter. Get over it. We are being "swarmed" by these ET weirdos. ---------------PC

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Mods, please edit title to reflect that the original article was corrected and states that the signal was found in Australia.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Sorry to disappoint but it seems they were wrong

news.bbc.co.uk...

However on the plus side, this is quite interesting:

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Althought this was a false-alarm, seti@home is in need of more volunteers; you may want to join the ATS team while you're at it.

www.berkeley.edu...

By Robert Sanders, Media Relations | 02 January 2008

BERKELEY – The longest-running search for radio signals from alien civilizations is getting a burst of new data from an upgraded Arecibo telescope, which means the SETI@home project needs more desktop computers to help crunch the data.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Since establishing first contact with another civilization, SETI was set up as a smoke screen to fool the people into thinking that the government was on their side.

The truth is SETI supresses the signals it receives, by filtering them through several layers of entities before it eventually reaches those in the know and is lost to the general public forever.

The government bodies,not the governments that we know, a parallel government that is elected within. theyhave communication stations set up all around the world and is making contact on a daily basis to what we call ET'S. However, due to the fact that the TAU IX ends soon, Life on Earth is going to change dramatically it is becoming impossible to keep the lid on this. Both sides have tried to con each other and are now preparing for something huge. NWO maybe - or maybe somethign else.

The second to last card to play will be 'THE VIRUS' then ' THE E.T THREAT'

The pan boils the lid lifts up the contects spilled.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ruhnlo
The truth is SETI supresses the signals it receives, by filtering them through several layers of entities before it eventually reaches those in the know and is lost to the general public forever.

Man, am I the only one who's out of "truth-loop" ?

Seems everybody has their finger on the truth, by I don't know what means precisely, except poor me who has to pour over tedious scientific facts....

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ruhnlo

I'm confident you haven't the slightest evidence for this fictional claim, since you don't know the SETI scientists and what an independently minded bunch of astronomers they are, and how they have had to scramble for funds, very little of which comes from the government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join