It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New material pushes the boundary of blackness

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

New material pushes the boundary of blackness

uk.reuters.com

U.S. researchers said on Tuesday they have made the darkest material on Earth, a substance so black it absorbs more than 99.9 percent of light.

Made from tiny tubes of carbon standing on end, this material is almost 30 times darker than a carbon substance used by the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology as the current benchmark of blackness.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

"If you could make materials that would block these radiations, it could have serious applications for stealth and defence," Ajayan said.

Wow nice i like this stuff if true .

The applications would be great ! , an invisability cloak springs to mind.

Possibly helpfull in the gathering of solar power

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15/1/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Isnt something like going to be used on new television sets? I remember hearing that some company is making a plasma with the rim of the television being made with this thing that absorbs light similarly to that - and that it will make the image look like its floating in mid air when you turn off the lights.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

When I first read this title I thought it was a new Chris Rock standup act.

Oh man, g'night folks.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
lol that was great, anyway this is sweet now if they can make a black tee shirt that dosent become grey after a year of wear and washing ill be happy.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I was thinking that it's time to retire my black tee with the phrase...."I'm only wearing black until they make something darker"...

I suppose of all the novelty t-shirts they had to call me on, this is a pretty good one..

Good story, Quantum..

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

So, if asking the question; How much more black could this be?

The answer would be: None, none more black...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You see all this time we thought Alien U.F.O's had sophisticated cloaking devices, when really thier's an alien shipyard somewhere with tins of special black paint .

And if this substance was widely used by the military .. would it put an end to the demands on young recruits to see 'their face' in their shoes.. i mean it wouldn't reflect eh

apc

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Obama needs a suit made out of this stuff.

(sorry there was just no way I was sitting on that one)

I wonder if the material warms as all that energy is absorbed. Is it strictly visible light? What about IR and UV?

>
doh! page 2...

The researchers have tested the material on visible light only. Now they want to see how it fares against infrared and ultraviolet light, and other wavelengths such as radiation used in communications systems.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by apc]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
First thing that came to mind was the first episode of Metalocalypse where Nathan Explosion wants to make a coffee jingle "blacker than that blackest black times infinity". I can't wait to see the applications for high definition televisions and solar panels.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Yes the floating high def telly seems a great idea

top topics

join