It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can smell cancer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TheHypnoToad

I thought eveyone smelled this......wow! I have learned something new today.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I worked at a mouse lab that studied cancer genes and the cancers defineatly have a certain smell not unlike the OP describes. Not to be crude but I can also often smell when it's that time of the month for many women, given the right conditions such as not too many competeing scents. Just a smell, not good or bad.

My cat has an uncanny sense of pain in humans. He will zero in on the pain spot and lick it. He has to be comfortable with the person first. If only we would focus our energies on positive outlets rather than constantly competing to beat each other.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You may be surprised to find out that you are in good company. A lot of people can smell diseases. I have always had an ultra keen sense of smell and hearing. My vision leaves much to be desired but my other senses seem to be a bit elevated. I work in the medical profession and have been around sickness and disease for over thirty years. My keen sense of smell has served both me and my patient's well. I used to think that my talent was unique but I don't even come close. I have run into numerous members of the medical field that can recognize the scent of a particular disease or infection. Some of this is of course do to familiarity but I think that like the ability to smell arsenic, a bit of it is in our genes.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Comrads, I'm like many of you; I have smelled the smell that you have written about, and as a youngster I always associated it with death, because that person would usually be dead within 6 months. I can really notice the smell when I get up close to those people, or when they have been in their home for a while, their whole home takes on the smell.

There is a woman now whom I'm associated with that I have noticed the smell, yet others have not smelled it, or at least they have said nothing. I'm pretty sure she will be dead like all of the others within six months.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I dont think you are crazy. My husband always calls my nose the "hound dog". I can smell things that no one else can. It can be minor traces and I smell it. It almost drives me nuts until I find what is causing the odor and erase it.

I dont think you're crazy, but maybe gifted. I'd use it to help others.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Totally possible, yes. Folks who work in medicine develop this tendency, too--the distinctive "ketone smell" of diabetics being the first example that comes to mind.

Also true of urinalysis, which may sound icky but is a fact of life for those who work in labs--there are certain smells associated with specific bacteria, present in sweat and waste products. UTIs are easy to detect; someone who's had a couple can usually tell by scent before any tests are done (but we do them anyway, of course).

If you're around that kind of scent a lot, either as part of your job or (one would hope not, but sadly it does happen) due to the illness of someone you live with... yeah, you learn to identify those diseases by smell.

Hadn't heard of cancer being one of those, before, but it would be more surprising if it weren't, frankly.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
OP have you ever had a serious convo with a doctor about this? I know there is always a possibility they will call in the men in white
oh I kid... But they could help you quantify your findings and write you up in a report or something... Maybe it's very specific types of cancer.

Do you ever... or would you ever tell a work college or family / friends if you detected the smell? I suppose that would be very tricky,

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Have you ever noticed it on someone that had not yet been diagnosed? And then later was?

If they are undergoing treatment that could cuase it.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by avriel

is it like the kind of "sweet" smell .. you can relate with saliva?
some people.. if i get into a car with them. and the windows are up..
i can smell that sweet saliva breath smell extremely well..
it's noxious to me... i have to roll down the window.

one thing you might want to consider also.. is the immense prevalence of cancer nowadays.
1 out of every 3 men will die of cancer now in the U.S.
so approaching that "lethal" level.. you're going to have some amount of cancer in almost every single person.

so you should smell it on everyone...
or maybe not everyone .. but just people acutely affected.

-

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
i believe it, maybe ill come over and let you smell me, though be warned i smoke alot so i might smell bad.

I heard dogs can smell cancer as well, you must then have a dogs nose.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Our sense of smell is very underused. Here is a story about researchers using humans to follow a scent trail across a field like a dog:

bps-research-digest.blogspot.com...

There have been many times when I've smelled something very strongly that nobody else could and was able to track it down to it's source. At one place where I worked the room was underground with a small window high up on the wall like some basements have. Every time I would go past this area I would smell onions very strongly. None of my co-workers could smell anything and thought I was crazy. I eventually figured out there were wild onions growing right next to the window. They were amazed that I could smell them, but the smell was VERY strong to me.

The same is true of the other senses. Some people, like me, can hear the high pitched hum from fluorescent lights, others can't. Some rare people can see polarized light.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Snap]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by avriel
Eventually I grew older and joined the navy, initially as a radar operater but changing trades to be a medic ten years later. It was during my medical training that I became aware of this sickly sweet smell again. Whilst working on the medical wards of a large hospital I noticed that the patients being treated for cancer all permeated this smell. At that time I thought it might be something to do with the treatment they were recieving. However as I moved onto the outpatients department and began meeting patients that were supposedly in remiision I noticed that the smell was still there.
Recently I met a woman that had returned to work after a long period of illness (What the illness was, was at that time never stated) She too permeated this sick sweet smell. Today she anounced that she had been treated for cancer and that it was thought that it had been succesfully treated. However she has now unfortunately been told that the cancer has returned. I guess that this is what I was smelling.

Thank God for you! You're in the right profession then for such a skill. I hope you're able to pin down what exactly it is that's causing the smell and help revolutionize cancer detection.

Am I going mad,

I don't think so. Madness doesn't usually drive people to become a medic.

or is it really possible to be aware of this smell ?

Why not? Perhaps you have the right receptors for detection.

I can't be the only person that can smell it surely ?

I'm thinking it's uncommon, but apparently not impossible (as someone pointed out about professional exposure versus detection). I'm allergic to dust and have come to smell/taste dust. It's a very dry and bitter smell/taste, like someone wiped rotten lemon on my tongue.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Avriel, I too think that I can smell cancer. I work in a nutritional wellness clinic. Today after finishing an appt. with a client I walked out into our waiting room and was promptly overcome with what you describe as a "sickly sweet" smell. It was so strong I had to stop breathing and leave the room. When I came back in I walked to our water cooler where a new client of ours was standing. That sickly sweet smell coming from her body was so strong I again had to leave. Later in the day I inquired about this client only to find out she had cancer. (I knew nothing about her previously) For several hours afterward I could smell that horrible smell in the waiting room and bathroom. I even sniffed the chairs and could tell which chair she sat in. This is amazing for two reasons: 1) My ability to pick up smells is generally sub-par and 2) The three other people working in the office could not smell anything at all!!! One of them even had a 1 hour appt. with her and could smell nothing. Nobody else in the waiting room could smell anything either. After this experience I had to find out if cancer had a smell and if people could smell it. I've smelled this smell before but did not put it together until today. Despite what the MDs and others might say there is in no doubt in my mind that some people are very sensitve to the smell and energy of certain diseases. Maybe I can't smell all types of cancer but this one I certainly could.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am so glad I got here...as all my life (for 29 years) I thought I am just too sensitive and is making fuss over something...

I got acquainted with this seemingly sweet undescribable scent since I was a kid...mostly when I got with my parents to visit a friend at the hospital. I tried to dish this thought out as most of the people I have associated this scent with passd away...I say most since I do not know what happened to to other whom I just met anonymously.

I also thought it was the medicine, until I met a friend whom I have not seen for a long time and smelled this scent on her...a week after she was diagnosed with cancer and died within a month.

I thought it was death I was smelling...or should I say, I thought I was dying since they say, the dying can smell even the rain! But I guess that was just too much literature for me...since I've been smelling it for 29 years now...and it scares me to the bone every time I get to smell this scent!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I have worked with hundreds of horses. Two that had been diagnosed with cancer had a very sweet smelling urine. So now I am very aware if I noticed that smell in the stall. Also for a few years before my husband was diagnosed with kidney cancer he would break out in heavy night sweats that would smell "burnt" almost like a pungent residue. I mentioned this to the doctors and they dismissed me. He had been complaining of these sweats for several years at his checkups and the doctor didn't seem to think it meant anything. After surgery to remove the tumor he stopped sweating and has been great for 7 years. But if I smell that again we will be at the oncologist ASAP!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Not only can we smell cancer there are other diseases as well that put out an odor

I worked with stroke patients, they have a certain odor, even before they have the stroke I can smell it on them,

Before my daughter was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes I could smell it on her, after she began treatment the smell went away.

When I was deeply involved with healing work i had this heightened sense of awareness, all my sense were stronger, almost to the point of being uncomfortable in my own skin,

It was very hard on me physically.

[edit on 092828p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Ever been to a nursing home?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Interesting...

Never made the connection before, but very often in my life I have avoided people or households or both because I didn't like the smell...

Looking back those families and people were never fortunate in the health department in the scheme of things

I believe this, I'm quite sure listening to this I have been smelling diseases my whole life.

The reason i'm so sure is because I never, ever get sick... on 20 years or so now at least, it's because I smell and avoid the exposure, I always wondered what made my immune system work good...

But listening to this, it is a simple connection to make, I have smell sensitive to germs and merely avoid allot more germs than most people do...

Fascinating

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
To those who asked if it is a sweet smell the answer is yes, a sort of sweet pungent smell but not a nice smell.
Interestingly I was talking to a doctor today and I turned the conversation towards this subject. She had come across a few medical proffesionals that could smell different illnesses. Apparently people have been reporting it for years but nobody has really taken it seriously until recently. She said that she herself can smell differences between different types of surgical ward but could not detect a specific smell on individuals. She put this down to the amount of illness in one place at one time. She then mentioned that a group of scientists were now actually working on sniffing machines for certain illnesses, although this has come about through the use of sniffer dogs and not through any human talents which have always, sadly, been ignored.
Reading all of your replies it appears that their may be a few us that can smell this disease (and others). Good to know I'm totaly sane

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
i too am able to smell cancer as i'm a CNA who has worked in nursing homes and currently with a home hospice...the first time i was bathing one of my lung cancer patients and the sickly sweet of burnt sugar was on her breath, i knew what it was. i've not noticed being able to smell any other specific cancers, but a patient of mine who was a retired army rn said that she too could smell ovarian cancer.

lots of people always think people like us are crazy for being able to smell cancer, specific diseases, or just the general death smell, (unforgettable but a daily smell for me)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join