It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite home lunch??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Due to the rising cost of school lunches and the fact that they do nothing for a growing boys appetite, I am now sending them with home luch everyday.... well, every day thats not pizza day. I try to keep it interesting, a sandwich can get rather dull after a while. Here are some of their favorites.

Chicken nugget wrap
Lay out a flour tortillia, add a layer of lettus, 4 hot just out of the toaster chicken nuggets, shreaded cheese and honey mustard dressing.
The specific layering is important because this way nothing gets soggy.

Peanut butter and fluff

a Chef salad made with lunch meat

Other than that, Im stuck on cold cuts, chips, and juice box.

Help me out! Whats your favorite home lunch????

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
As long as lunch is at home and not a working one ....i aint fussed whats on the plate.

soup and a roll sounds good to me

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Peanut Butter and Grape jelly sandwich.

Washed down with a couple silver bullets.

Chips.....sometimes

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

You need more than one beer to wash down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?!?!?

Well, I suppose it's not really a matter of need, more of want huh. Can't argue there. I usually go with an IPA when it's allowed.

Anyway, I like to rock a steak and cheese with mushrooms, ketchup and mayonnaise. I loooooove steak and cheese, but I can't eat it because I'll get fat, but I loooove steak and cheese.

(please someone, get the family guy reference)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
My kids preferred to pack a lunch. The school portions were never suitable for my son. He's a piggy

He usually took a couple of sandwiches, chips, a couple of pieces of fruit, cookies, apple-sauce and juice. Theres not many choices for a packed lunch without a fridge.

Edit* to add...they also liked string cheese.

[edit on 1/15/2008 by jensouth31]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I try to keep it simple when I'm home during lunch. Usually a quesadilla or a grilled cheese sandwich will do. Microwavable corn dogs are always an option as well.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Hi/

What about Vegemite with lettuce, tomato and cheese?
Or boiled eggs with mayonaise and lettuce?

A fruit salad packed in a container?
Salad packed in a container?
Nuts of all sorts?

home made muffins made with natural ingredients?

Too many to put down here!
Hope all works out!

helen

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
MMMmmm steak and cheese yummy. They will love that.

Jen, holy cow, your son eats a big lunch! I agree it is hard to stray from the norm with out a fridge. I need to get some of those ice pack thingys.

The soup and a roll sounds good. I can send them with a thermos. Does soup really stay warm for long in those?

I would do grilled cheese, but they are kind of nasty 4 hours later. Anyone have any good tips on how to keep one of those tastey for 4 hours??? Tomato soup and grilled cheese is a fav. around here.

helen, what is Vegemite?? They are all about the salads, and fruit. I unfortunatly cant get them to eat all nat ur al muffins.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
MMMmmm steak and cheese yummy. They will love that.

Jen, holy cow, your son eats a big lunch! I agree it is hard to stray from the norm with out a fridge.

He's a growing boy
I don't know where he puts it all, and never gets fat! He eats more food in one meal, than I eat all day.

If you're an American I doubt you'll like the vegemite! I have neighbor from England, and was tricked into trying a taste. Too me...it taste like soy sauce paste. It's super salty! I don't know how they do it? Not meant to be insulting

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Soup and sandwich is lunch. You just have to match the sandwich to the soup.

If you're at home tomato soup and grilled cheese is awesome. If it has to sit a while tuna is a better sandwich.

Don't laugh until you try this. Chicken noodle, especially Lipton's, peanut butter. Try it and see if they don't complement each other. Dip it.

Scotch broth or veggie beef? Buttered roll is the way to go.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I used to send my kids (when they were in school) with hot dogs in a thermos of hot water.The buns in a baggie.It is easy enough to get little packets of ketchup and mustard when you are out for restaurant meals.
I also made homemade chili to put in their thermos.
I found pizza day to be silly.A waste of money to me.I'm cheap.On pizza days,I would make pizza pockets and pack them in their lunches right out of the oven wrapped in foil.They stay warm till lunch.
I was always big on making muffins too.Whatever kind your kids like.2 muffins can replace a sandwich.
I homeschool my younger kids, and it's been years since mine were in school, so I can't really remember everything I used to pack in their lunches.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Dip it??? Ok, I'll try it this weekend, and let you know.

I make a lot of creamy soups, do you think they would last well in a thermos?? My fav. is my perfect baked potato soup. I make a creamy cheese soup with chunks of baked red potato, broccoli, cauliflour, topped with a dab of sour cream, bacon bits, and fresh chopped chives. Ovbiously I would need to leave off the sour cream and mix in the bacon bits and chives, but other than that, I wonder if it would make it to lunch.

I suppose I could try this weekend and see what makes it to noon (if I can hide it from the boys ha)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

That soup sounds AWESOME. Bread and butter(or sweet rolls). Compliment the soup.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
On pizza days,I would make pizza pockets and pack them in their lunches right out of the oven wrapped in foil.They stay warm till lunch.

Seriously? you just wrap it in foil? Sounds great, I always keep those on hand anyway.

I was always big on making muffins too.Whatever kind your kids like.2 muffins can replace a sandwich.

MM we love blueberry muffins. Funny thing though, I make them, turn around, then they are gone. I honestly dont know how to get them from the pan to the lunch box before they dissapear.

I homeschool my younger kids

You are more woman than me. Honestly. My cousin does that, and there is no way I could do it. You are one tough lady.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Fresh out of the oven yeast rolls every time.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
MM we love blueberry muffins. Funny thing though, I make them, turn around, then they are gone. I honestly dont know how to get them from the pan to the lunch box before they dissapear.

So it's not only in my house. I was beginning to think that some food was eating other food.

Blueberry, apple cinimmon, chocho cip, banana, doesn't matter. They just disappear.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hmmm, Intrepid...I bet it's not only the kiddies sneaking those muffins!:shk:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Thank you.I need compliments like that to balance the days when I want to pull my hair out.Oh, yes..I get those too.
I have the utmost respect for teachers.Handling my kids is one thing.Handling a room full of other people's kids..I could NEVER do.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hi/

Vegemite is a spread....Big in Aussie land!
Looks terrible,tastes nice spread on toast with butter, full of B vitamins.....

Natural muffins can be disguised....
Replace oil or butter in a cake mixture with 'Apple sauce'(mushed up apples)
Replace Cocoa with 'Carob powder'...

Heres an easy recipe.......Crushed wheat bix or wheat based cereal, coconut shredded,carob powder,add dried fruit or just dried sultanas or any combination of whatever dried fruit preferred.
To combine all together and form little balls...
Add condensed milk or Honey.
Form into balls and roll in dried coconut...
As an alternative....you can add crushed 'wheat biscuits' in place of the wheat based cereal...

What is vegemite?
vegemite~

helen

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Simple and Nutrious foods for the kiddies:

1. Fruits and Veggies. (top priority) - Cut up (or if your too lazy, pull from hte garden (stems and all) - wipe clean the dirt from the garden under yer armpits ...oh sorry....did I say 'wipe', AHEM...'where the hell is my mannors? Pull the veegies out and spit yer 'shining goodies'....OMG...did I just say that? How putrid of me...ok...let's start again....AHEM....run your veggies under water. Make sure it's 'filtrated water' (Cousin Clem? what the hell are you doing sittin thar with yer feets in the water like that?....Get the HELL outta thar. hmmph...'some people's kids...I tell yas'...AHEM...Now..where were we's?......ah fudge it...lost me train of thought...

2. Order Out!!!

~Ducky~

new topics

top topics

join