It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding the Meaning of Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't really want a debate fraught with religious overtones on this.

Even when our grandparents were growing up, there was far more deaths (and at younger ages) and wars - this period is one of the longest peaceful periods ever!

I feel we have lost a little bit of the meaning and enjoyment of life (make the most of your opportunities - enjoy each day) - simply because we not as filled with death around us - hence don't appreciate our mortality as much as our forefathers.

Only a hunch but I would like to know what other people think.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by templar knight

Alot has changed since our Mothers & Fathers generation. Yes alot of wars and alot of self dependency back then. People now days depend on the government to help them out. Back then it was hard work from sun up to sun down for most Americans. You had to get up to turn the channel on the television only if it was two more channels to watch. Now days we have five hundred channels and a remote to sift through all the junk on the tube. Also today alot of parents are both working and the enjoyment of life is stressed out by maxed out credit cards, electric bills, phone bills, gas, car payments, mortgages etc...

Kids are being watched by strangers at child care while the parents work to be in debt. Politicians are in it for themselves and not the people. Preast & teachers are molesting our children. Our children have no moral values that used to be taught by parents and people are just to busy to care. Yeah, life is all work and no play for most of us and the enjoyment of life is gone. Death sometimes sounds better these days.

[edit on 1/15/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have to agree on some of your points. I believe people now days are so complacent because in prospering countries like america the mortality rate is higher although death is imminent anywhere on this planet people are not surrounded by it as much as in the past. People have become more and more distanced from things that really matter in the coming of the information and technology age, they are surrounded by modern comforts that take a lot of of their "soul" in my opinion away. with the decline of morality people are unable to comprehend the value of life anymore. this is evident by the amount of abortions that go on everyday, there is no "value" set on life, and it is very little if any by most i believe. there are genocides that go on all over the planet in any given point in time and we stand there and do nothing, and when we do something we get critisized for doing so.

Keeper

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight
I feel we have lost a little bit of the meaning and enjoyment of life (make the most of your opportunities - enjoy each day) - simply because we not as filled with death around us - hence don't appreciate our mortality as much as our forefathers.

It doesn't matter. Life has no particular meaning, other than DNA's odd drive to replicate and evolve so that it can keep replicating. It has no useful meaning to any individual. It doesn't matter whether we live happy lives or sad, as long as a good number of us reproduce, and even then it doesn't matter which species. We're just another trial and error for DNA. We're all dead meat in the end. We don't need to be constantly reminded of it. Nothing is gained from that knowledge. All of our joys and pains ultimately amount to nothing, anyway.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Understanding the meaning of life???

Urantia Book!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
All I have to say is

Google Video Link

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I don't really want a debate fraught with religious overtones on this.

Re:you wonder what the meaning of life is yet dont want to get into religion?-----well since you limit my responce all i can say is -----if there is no G-D we are all wasting our time breathing air or working to keep our bodies alive because when we die its all over with ?

when i was 20 i wanted to commit suicide and speed up the process of getting to my end ---because i reasoned life without a purpose is no life so why bother?---and yet i feared the unknown of what comes after death?

now i know what the purpose of life is i no longer reason that way and i no longer fear death----just as long as i die righteous enough for G-D to want me.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Even when our grandparents were growing up, there was far more deaths (and at younger ages) and wars - this period is one of the longest peaceful periods ever!

That is changing.

If you develop close relationships over many years, you will eventually be filled with death all around you. This is inevitable.

The meaning of life is simply to have a life that is meaningful

If one has trouble finding self-meaning, then one should reexamine one's values and beliefs, and strive for a higher ideal that would lead to greater emotional satisfaction.

Follow your bliss.

To find self-meaning is part of the learning process.

Those who have found the most satisfaction in their lives are those that have learned to serve others in some way.

In cultivating selflessness, they have grown spiritually.

And there is no higher meaning or greater purpose than that.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Paul_Richard]

top topics

join