It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Observes La Nina: This 'Little Girl' Makes a Big Impression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

'
Cool, wet conditions in the Northwest, frigid weather on the Plains, and record dry conditions in the Southeast, all signs that La Niña is in full swing.

With winter gearing up, a moderate La Niña is hitting its peak. And we are just beginning to see the full effects of this oceanographic phenomenon, as La Niña episodes are typically strongest in January.

A La Niña event occurs when cooler than normal sea surface temperatures form along the equator in the Pacific Ocean, specifically in the eastern to central Pacific. The La Niña we are experiencing now has a significant presence in the eastern part of the ocean.

The cooler water temperatures associated with La Niña are caused by an increase in easterly sea surface winds. Under normal conditions these winds force cooler water from below up to the surface of the ocean. When the winds increase in speed, more cold water from below is forced up, cooling the ocean surface.

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

so is this why we are having a pants time of it in the uk? atm my conservatory is leaking and we have buckets everywhere........but what of the rest of the world? how is this la nina affecting the weather globaly?
m x

mod edit, all caps in title

Mod Edit: to apply external quote code, please review this link
Mod Edit: Posting work written by others, please review this link

[edit on 15-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This TOTALLY off-topic, and I am aware of it (obviously), but I simply have to say it...
La Niña?!

I assume NASA, at least, knows where the name El Niño comes from (it refers to Baby Jesus) - or is even that too bold an assumption?
Anyway, how did those who came up with this new slant on the phenomenon explain this oh-so-politically-correct naming?
(And where's that "puking" icon when you need it...?!)

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Vanitas]

Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

[edit on 15-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Where I stay in the north of South Africa we are definitely being affected. We've had the most unusual sort of weather for the last couple of weeks, endless light rain for days on end. Today the skies have cleared up for the first time in over a week and a half. This is in a place where we normally have afternoon showers but otherwise very hot and sunny conditions this time of year. Instead we have adopted the English summer rain for a season

There has otherwise been severe flooding on the eastern side of Southern Africa, affecting Zambia, Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe in particular as well as one of South Africa's capital cities Pretoria.

It seems as though heavy rain in these regions is a common occurrence at this time of year, although clearly not to this extent. Indeed the region is faced with an impending and highly serious humanitarian crisis if it is not already fully so.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
well in Australia 2/3 of Queensland has been flooded (which is the size of Victoria and new south wales)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   
yes it seems that many parts of the world are experiencing 'extream weather, here in uk its been warmer than usuall and trees have started to bud.
m x

top topics

join