It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lets talk about coffee

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
how much do you drink?
what kind?
cream and sugar or just one of the two?
black?
grind your own?
flavored coffee or creamer?
don't be shy
-----------------

i have been drinking about three pots per day. it is cold out and my meds make me real tired so i have been combating that with coffee. i used to switch to decaf at about non but i am not going to decaf till about 5 pm now.

last week i bought some 8 o clock coffee, whole bean and came home and ground it myself in the blender.....man, thats some good stuff. i think from now on i am going to grind my own beans.

i have several kinds in there now as i have been experimenting with different brands. i like the good old folgers breakfast blend....that is pretty tasty.
my brother in law gave me some pumpkin flavored and i am drinking that right now.
i use lots of cream and lots of sugar.
aside from this pumpkin flavored i stay away from flavored beans and flavored creamers.

-----

i know coffee drinkers take their coffee seriously so tell me about your coffee drinking habits.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
i drink any coffee i get my hands on, i prefer Tim Hortons, i had starbucks once and nearly threw up, nuff said.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I am addicted to Dunkin Dounuts coffee. I drink it at home, when I am out and about, and recently my work added it to their coffee selection. Drink about 6-8 cups a day.

I also have a problem with their egg and bagel sandwiches.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
OK, Coffee....

I am addicted to the stuff they have in the 7/11, in the fake cappuccino machines. Half from the stuff in the urn and half from the machine.

Sweet, smooth and creamy and oh so tasty.

At home I just run hot water from the tap into a cup and a spoonful of instant. And I have another 2+ hrs of productive fooling around.

In the evening I usually switch to Celestial Seasonings herb tea of somekind so I can at least get a little sleep.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

At home I just run hot water from the tap into a cup and a spoonful of instant. And I have another 2+ hrs of productive fooling around.

how can you....?

dunken doughnuts coffee is pretty good.

if anyone sees the 8 o clock brand, i recomend it

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Ah, lovely coffee. My wife and I are coffee snobs, we usually go through at least two pots on our days off. She drinks hers with cream and splenda, I drink mine black, however sometimes I will put a little cream and some honey in it. We only grind our own, we have been trying out boca java, they ship it to you, and it is pretty good stuff. My favorite coffee is from my home town, if you want good coffee look up flower garden bakery in grass valley california, and order some of the house blend, awesome coffee. As far as starbucks it will work in a pinch, but their coffee is inferior, you look at the size of their beans compared to someone like flour gardens beans and the starbucks look like sickley little things compared to the good beans. Plus it is good to give business to a small company.

In my opinion you have to grind your own beans, keep your beans sealed, and use a good amount when making the coffee. If you want an absolute fantastic cup of coffee, do away with the standard coffee maker and use a french press. I use that every once in a while, but usually just use a self dispensing maker, no pot, and really easy clean up. It is a good coffee maker, but the french press, blows it away.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
When I do drink coffee, I only drink it at this little coffe shop down town here in Fargo. Its Fairtrade and totaly awsome, its called Raven Brew. I work at a Hotel and I could drink all the coffee I want but the stuff hotels pump out is camel piss (IMO). I switched from drinking camel coffee to a total tea drinker as of late.

By the way: FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRINK STARBUCKS!

[edit on 15-1-2008 by tetsujin420]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hey Boon!!!!

MMMMmmm.....COFFEEEEeeeee (wipes the homer simpson drool off the side of my face) lololool

I brought my coffee from one thread to another...wayyyy too funny!!!

Welcome to Boon's Java House!

OR...lololol Java beans...no WAIT...I got it?!?!?

Boon's Beans!!! ROFLMAOOOOO

Ok...you know I'm just playing....hee hee

I don't drink as much coffee as others, however, I can put a nasty dent into the coffee pot if I have a really busy day.

I might start out in the morning - with/without coffee. If I do have any, I prefer the kind that is 'brewed', not the 'instant' stuff.

Tim Horton's all the way! 1 or 2 large take-out cups with 3 cream and 1 sugar. Then I'm good for the day.

If I have any java on an empty tummy...ruh roh! I get the shakes, feel the adrenlin surge come upon me in a BAD way, and feel like I have gut-raunch or going to pass out. Take yer pick.

Overall? Coffee rocks!!!

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
boons beans...i like that
kinda like boons farm
hahahahahahahaha

the only downside to drinking as much coffee as i do is the urination factor..
it's pretty frequent

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

*BOON'S * BEANS*

lolololololol...sorry still gigling!

Hey Boon?

I know about coffee making people urinate more than usual, but I think it's the best darn LAXATIVE in the wholeeeeeeeee world!

Hard core coffee drinkers should invent a P.A.P. (Portable Arse Potty) - strap the sucker on, and go about the day's business with no worries.

roflmaooooooooo

~Ducky~

[edit on 15-1-2008 by TheDuckster]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

you are correct duckster...

problems dropping mud? have you a couple cups o coffee and you'll be prarie dogging it in no time

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Aint that the damn truth. After my first cup of coffee I have checked my emails lined out what needs to be done at work, and then it is time to drop the kids off at the pool. It is like clock work everyday, consti what?

I have been drinking a fair amount of tea at work also tetsujin, we have the same problem coffee as you describe. I just cant do it, it is absolutely awful coffee and not fit for human consumption. I have been on a stash chai kick lately, that is pretty good stuff. But I still have my cup of red rose tea, after lunch, I have been drinking that my whole life. My ancestors come from across the pond, cornish folks that came to work the mines in northern california, and tea has always been a big part of an after meal beverage. Tea and a good pasty, there is nothing better in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

While I love coffee, I am cheap, too! I usually buy what is on sale with a coupon as it's very expensive now. I refuse to pay $6 to $8 for a pound of the stuff.

I am no longer allowed to purchase coffee for this household!

Down in the south here. (Louisiana) the favored brand is Community coffee. Personally, I can't tell a difference between brands.

Coffee is also a grand production down here in the south, as everyone leaves a coffee service on their counter tops, which drives me nuts. When I make coffee, as soon as it is ready, I like to put it in a thermos so it isn't sitting on heat, and I put everything away, even the coffee maker. I can't stand junk all over counter tops, even appliances, so if I have to make another pot, I take everything back out, and do it all over again!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I have anywhere from 3 to 12 cups a day. It varies, but I do love my coffee. As far as flavor goes, I perfer the darker roasted coffees. Most brands have fair quailty but I have to say my favorite is Starbuck's Italian roast. Don't let them make it. They ruin it by adding too much milk. Buy a bag of beans and grind and brew it at your own home. The Sumatra blend is nice as well.

If I buy coffee made at Starbucks, I only get a double espresso. I mostly like dark coffee, with just a little milk or cream but you can convince me to try flavored coffee. That's nice after meals.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
dbates, Dude you need to let that starbucks on the shelf, get some good stuff. That caribou coffee is pretty good, try that if you see it, they make a good french roast. I will drink starbucks, we have some in the freezer waiting for hard times, but there is alot better coffee out there. I am telling you if you like good dark coffee, google flour garden bakery and order some house blend, I guarantee it is the best coffee that you will ever have the pleasure of drinking.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
i do think from now on i will be grinding my own beans...
either this 8 o clock brand is the shizz or grinding fresh beans makes a huge difference.
i will try a new brand when i run out and grind them down and see whats what

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Grinding beans is hands down where its at. I dont want to sound like a smart ass or anything, but being as you just started grinding your beans. Do you grind them fresh each day before making the coffee, or just do it all at once? It is better to keep them in bean form until you grind them right before making the coffee. I saw in your first post that you ground it in the blender, was it a blender or a coffee grinder? If you dont have a grinder that is crucial, you can pick one up for ten bucks at pretty much any grocery store. I have tried everything from the cheap ones all the way to the automatic burr grinders, and the cheap ones work just as good. The only thing you gain from using an expensive one is maybe more quiet operation. Like I said I dont want to sound like a know it all, but we have been grinding our own beans for as long as I can remember, and I take my coffee pretty seriously. I will warn you once you start grinding your beans and experience awesome coffee, it is hard to drink the stuff from a can any longer. It is only in times of serious need, and desperation that you will resort to it.

I have been looking into roasting my own beans, if grinding them is good, roasting them fresh should be even better.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am anti coffee! It tastes horrible, and it's just one more thing to NEED in the morning. If I need another addiction, I'll pick something a bit more exotic than coffee

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner36

i did them all at once and i used my blender....i have no problem buying a grinder but i fail to see the difference. i mean, the blender did just fine.
why buy something special when i already have an appliance that grinds it...

if you can sell me on a grinder then i will go buy one asap

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I guess you dont need a grinder, if your blender works good. The biggest thing however is grinding the beans when you make the coffee, and keeping the other beans in bean form until ready. That is where the grinder comes in handy, when you fill it to the rim with beans and grind them up, you got what you need for a pot of coffee. After you grind them, you flip the grinder over, give it a little tap on the bottom, the grounds fall into the lid, transport grounds in lid to filter dump em in. If you find you want it a little bit stronger just grind your first round and then some more. The good thing about them is you just grind what you need, and you dont have to clean them out if you want to make a milkshake or something.

But wait right there I am not done yet.

Dont you hate it when a recipe calls for ground spices and all you have is whole? Smashing them might work, oh no look at the mess! A quick clean of the hung on grounds and oils in your grinder, and bingo turn any whole spices into ground spices in an instant. If you call now you can get one grinder for one easy payment of ten dollars. But wait if you call we will throw in another grinder for one easy payment of twenty dollars.

I am all for multi tasking in a kitchen, things should all have different jobs. Grinders dont need to be cleaned up after you grind your coffee, they are small, and you can grind only what you need for the pot. I know it sounds like a little thing, but grinding them fresh each time is crucial. I am sure a blender works, but you have to clean them, and that is a pain in the arse. Grinders are a fairly cheap addition to your coffee making arsenal, and I promise you will be happy if you buy one. You can get them cheaper then this one www.amazon.com... but that will give you an idea of all the wonderful world of coffee grinders has to offer. This is the one we have at home, and I love it we had one similar to this that lasted almost five years. It still ran and worked but it was just taking a little time to get the coffee ground due to wear on the blades.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join