It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC Battles to Keep Kucinich Out of the Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   

NBC Battles to Keep Kucinich Out of the Debate

news.yahoo.com

Some principles are worth fighting for: like the cherished right of television networks to decide who is and who is not a legitimate candidate for president.

NBC Universal Inc. is a major media conglomerate. And major media conglomerates have traditionally been able to police the parameters of presidential politics. Any affront to this order of affairs is a threat to the ability of corporations to define the American discourse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nytimes.com
www.signonsandiego.com

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Kucinich won a seat on tonight's MSNBC debate after Judge Charles Thompson ruled that the network must include the Ohio congressman in the event.

The judge said he would issue an injunction to stop the debate should Kucinich not be included.

What does NBC do? They bust out their legal team to appeal the ruling.

This is just more evidence that the MSM are trying to select the President for us, telling us who is and who isn't worthy.

Last time I looked FOX (Paul), NBC and ABC who was successful in keeping Kucinich out of their NH televised debate cannot vote.

That doesn't stop them from trying to force their wishes on the American public.

Shame on the networks, do they really think this is not being noticed?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I think it had more to do with kucinich asking for a recount in new hampshire. People who do such things, leave them selves getting put out of the loop.

Just like sports, you can never say you were cheating, or it gets you in trouble. This is the main reason, they did not want him in.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

You could be right, Kucinich knew he would not do any better as a result of a recount but as a matter of principle he is correct in wanting to make sure that the counting process is as honest as can be, it is much better to start the focus now than wait until November, hopefully this can help to keep things on the up & up.

I have my doubts, but I applaud Kucinich's effort to make sure our votes count.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I just voted in New Hampshire. There were approximately 30 people running for the nomination on the ballot. By your logic, shouldn't all of them be in every debate?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Togetic

No that is not my logic, how many of the 30 were invited to a debate and then told on second thought the producers decided you aren't welcome.

It is a little different IMO, to allow the MSM to pick and choose their candidates who should be heard is not what the process is all about.

While I may not consider Kucinich when I hit the booth, I think I would be more capable of making an informed decision having heard him in comparison to the other candidates.

I don't put any trust in the MSM to tell me who is worthy.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
As NBC asks for an emergency appeal to the Nevada Supreme court, Dennis Kucinich heads to the state to participate in tongiht's debate on MSNBC:

Kucinich heads for Nevada debate, his role uncertain

..."I can just say, `Thank God' for that judge, and hopefully his ruling will be sustained," the Cleveland congressman told reporters a day after a judge ordered that Kucinich be allowed to participate in the debate Tuesday night.

Kucinich said he has raised issues that other candidates have not, including the Iraq war, trade and health care. "So my being there creates a debate," he said...

No word if /when the Nevada Supreme court would hear NBC's appeal.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It is now being reported that NBC has filed an appeal and the Kucinich attorney is preparing a response for a hearing which is expected to provide a ruling today.

NBC is Appealing Nevada Court Decision to Allow Kucinich in Debate

The NBC television network filed documents this morning, asking Nevada's Supreme Court to overturn a decision by a Clark County District Court judge that Dennis Kucinich be allowed to participate in tonight's Democratic presidential candidate debate. Kucinich, who had initially received an invitation to the debate on January 9 stating that he had met the network's requirements to participate, saw that invitation snatched away on January 10, when the network claimed to have come up with new criteria.

In the court documents, NBC claims that it decided on January 10 to change debate participation criteria, this time requiring that candidates finish in the top three in either the Iowa Caucus or New Hampshire Primary. But on January 9, the criteria was different, and only required participants to have finished in the top four in Iowa or New Hampshire, OR place in the top four in media polls conducted after the Iowa Caucus on January 3.

A little more info on NBC's appeal argument found in this AP article:

Appeal Filed in Kucinich Debate Lawsuit

...Campbell argued Monday that Federal Communications Commission broadcast rules do not apply to cable TV networks, and said Tuesday that federal courts instead of state courts have jurisdiction...

ed:add AP article

[edit on 1/15/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Awaiting the Ruling

The decision should be out by 6PM (I am assuming local time since it's past 6 in my location).

Kucinich, MSNBC await the ruling

It’s three hours before tonight’s scheduled Democratic debate on MSNBC, yet it remains unclear whether long-shot Dennis Kucinich will be allowed to participate.

A decision is expected from the seven-member state Supreme Court by 6 p.m., the chief justice said at the close of a hastily arranged hearing this afternoon. Four justices were based at the Regional Justice Center in Las Vegas, where Kucinich was in attendance but did not speak; the three other justices participated via a video feed from Carson City.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Its pretty messed up that a supposedly unbiased news station is trying to remove a Presidential candidate from the debate.

So what Kucinich asked for a recount? That's irrelevant in my book. He's a strong contender with a powerful message who deserves to be allowed in the debate.

I haven't decided between him and Paul, but if they ran together they'd surely get my vote (and many others who wish for a change).

That's the problem. People like him and RP represent a change the mainstream may not be ready for and it scares the media when they garnish so much support.

Its time for a revolution.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'd like to see Kucinich in the debate. Most of what I've read and heard about him sounds favorable; watching him debate the issues would tell me much more. He should have this opportunity to go up against the front runners. I hope they rule in his favor.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
have you heard anything about this yet ? has there been a update? im watching msnbc and they only mentiond the three front runners being at the debate.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

Not a word from my searches, the longer it takes the more I start to worry that they will rule in favor of NBC

That could just be my pessimism of the entire system though.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I wouldn't worry too much about the Supreme Court.

If Kucinich isn't allowed to debate, there will be others cut out from future debates.

This is a very slippery slope that if crossed will further degrade our so-called Constitutional Republic.

If the Supreme Court judges have any responsibility left, they will rule in favor of Kucinich and the United States people!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I might agree with you if the SC didn't side with bankers and business in the ruling on stock fraud which was reported today.

Who is representing a company in this appeal?

NBC.

Still have my fingers crossed for them to prove they serve the people.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
As I suspected, at the final moment, the Nevada SC rules in favor of NBC

Kucinich will sit it out

This just in from the state Supreme Court: NBC/MSNBC win, Kucinich loses. The congressman from Ohio won’t be on stage at the televised debate in 45 minutes.

pdf of SC ruling

ed:add pdf link

[edit on 1/15/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
this is unbelivable there not even pretending that theyre not controlling the system anymore. man this sucks.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
MSNBC has won he is out of the debates.

Looks like democracy has lost.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before other tv stations decide that they too can decide who can and can't be at a presidential debate.

I have a feeling it is going to start being a 2 person debate for each party. All the tv stations are going to decide only the top 2 candidates should really be debating. This way we as viewers get to hear more from those candidates so we can make a better decision on which one to vote for.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 1Angrylightbulb

i get that same feeling bulb, whats the point of having a debate if it isent a open and legitimate debate. this seems so unamerican that it makes me sick.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join