It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hawks are crap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
i just found this.

no woder the ADF is buying the "Aussie" Tigers.

www.thecouriermail.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Arent Black Hawks getting outdated now?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
yea they r. that's y the U.S is gonna replace them with a new helicopter. it looks really cool. i saw it on the Discovery Wings Channel once. It was quieter and more stealthier than the black hawk. i cant remember what its called though

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Your're talking about the comanche, and no it isn't replacing the UH-60 BlackHawk, it's replacing the OH-58 Kiawa.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Brilliant, you dtermine that the hawks are crap by reading that article? Ignorance is overwhelming.

Speaking of ignorance, somebody had better tell the U.S. military that the hawk is being replaced by another helicopter as it is spending quite a few bucks on them right now. As a matter of fact, my facility is ramping up for the M as well as the R program.

No reason for any of the mentioned incidents were given. Were it meant to be a slam against the hawk, I'd imagine they would have given the mechanical failures that caused the incidents, huh? Sooner still, I would have read about it in bulletins.

Your RAAF being "plagued" by hawk problems isn't indicative of a product problem. It is indicative of a personnel problem. Maybe that is the change that is needed.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Another blackhawk just crashed outside amberly air force base in Queensland australia.

8 people SURVIVED the crash although 3 are critical.

Seems to me the blackhawk while dated....is sturdy enough to somewhat protect it's occupants in an event of an emergency.

www.news.com.au...

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Some European country ordered a blackhawk because of a mountain climbing accident. The European copter couldn't climb to the elevation, so an U.S. military hawk had to go and get the bodies. Not so outdated.

Oz, I don't care what it is, alot has to do with impact and controlability before impact. Personally, in case of a crash, the place I want to be is here in front of the computer!

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
may I just add that this Black Hawk Crash was not caused by ANY electrical FAULT of the Helicopter.....

Looks like this one was pilot error...

The crash was a damn mess...it's lucky ANYBODY got out of this one.. I will try and find a pic.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Black hawks are not crap, they are antiques and outdated, BUT NOT CRAP!

The stallion of the marines proves alot better than the blackhawk, yeah ALOT better plus the stallion is an awsome helicopter good for carrying up to 24 troopers and an artillary.

Stallion meets Chinook

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Pardon? Outdated? The 'Hawk is outdated, unlike the Stallion? Please.

Regardless, you pick the bird for the mission.

As far as date and 'Hawk, the Army fleet is going to be modded into the M. The beefing of the frame, the new and improved blades, the glass cockpits...You'll be surprised. I'll be retired by completion and am totally sure I'll never want to see another one by then, but it'll be an even nicer bird than what it is now.

Hearing the opinions of the well informed people here is nice, but I especially enjoy reading the letters we get from those who are actually using them, not only from the guys out in places like Iraq, but also the guys in the Jayhawks in the Coast Guard. Seems they aren't as current on the birds' capabilities and flaws. Their eyes light up like the OH-06 pilots' eyes used to light up.

Anyway, I'm done talking up my product. It doesn't even need talking up, it's record and the continued sales of the product around the world speaks for itself.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Black Hawks are not crap. Yeah they crash, but so does every other plane ever built!

We (Australia) are getting the tigers to replace the rather old and tired Kiowa fleet and some Iroquois that are used as gunships i believe. They will mostly be used for battlefield surveillance and limited combat support.

The Black Hawk has had problems in Army service but most of those probelms are solved. All crashes so far in Oz have been due to aircrew error, not faults with the helicopter.

The updated version of the Black Hawk is also in contention for the current ADF helicopter replacement program. Can not be that bad!!

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Hawks are good A/C.

You also can't say its no wonder they are getting the Tiger when they perform two differant roles.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Black hawks are not crap, they are antiques and outdated, BUT NOT CRAP!

The stallion of the marines proves alot better than the blackhawk, yeah ALOT better plus the stallion is an awsome helicopter good for carrying up to 24 troopers and an artillary.

Stallion meets Chinook

You cant compare the stallion and the black hawk, they have two different roles, the stallion is a heavy lifter, the black hawk drops special forces into position, the blackhawk is smapper, faster quieter than the stallion, so the blackhawk needs less feul, and if a blackhawk is going down, if th pilot can keep the helo upright, there is a good chance for survival for many people, because of the design of the lanfing gear,. this is like comparing apples to oranges

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
black hwaks are nice but are in need of a bit of "tunening" but i like the lynx and sea king or the merlin better

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I got another reason, if they sucked so badly, they would have been replaced and/or scrapped a long time ago

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
all in all, i would have to go with raafy on this one. not because of his article. i just feel that the blackhawk just isn't cut out for jobs like this. they can easily be taken down by a RPG. also, those transportation vehicles are also getting out of date. we've gotta make something that'll not crumble up when hit by rpg's or landmines.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Okay, a couple of things.

First, the landing gear are important to survivability, but there is more to it than that. For obvious reasons, I won't go in depth.

Second point I'd like to make is that the Hawk is always being tuned and improved. Thanks for the great idea, but why do you think we started with the Alpha model and are now working into the Mike model, huh? And that is just for the Army, I won't even go into the Navy or the foreign customers.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
all in all, i would have to go with raafy on this one. not because of his article. i just feel that the blackhawk just isn't cut out for jobs like this. they can easily be taken down by a RPG. also, those transportation vehicles are also getting out of date. we've gotta make something that'll not crumble up when hit by rpg's or landmines.

I think you'll find a lot of helicopters have a hard time surviving an RPG. Most RPG hits that manage to take down a chopper hit the tail rotor (remember Somalia?) which is quite a vulnerable part of a chopper. An Apache could easily be knocked down by a direct RPG-7 to the tail rotor.

top topics

join