It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State toll roads. Does everyone else think this is a ripoff?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
So our Southbay Expressway Road just started charging us the toll fee. what do you guys think is a reasonable price for going about 3 to 4 miles? well, I paid $3.75 and been paying that for the last month. RIPOFF!

see the article here.

www.nbcsandiego.com...

www.southbayexpressway.com...

I bet they are just taking advantage of Californian's again. I'm sure no one else is paying that ridiculous price.

Took 50 years to built and cost 800million to build. So apparently, we have to pay for it.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by jedimiller]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jedimiller
I bet they are just taking advantage of Californian's again. I'm sure no one else is paying that ridiculous price.

Took 50 years to built and cost 800million to build. So apparently, we have to pay for it.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by jedimiller]

Toll road fees are one of the MOST FAIR 'taxes' that I can think of. The people who use the road are the ones who pay for it. Would it strike you as being 'more fair' for people in the northern part of your state who may never ever see the road to pay an increased tax of some sort to help defrey the cost?

Whom exactly did you want to pay for this anyway?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavlovsdog
Toll road fees are one of the MOST FAIR 'taxes' that I can think of. The people who use the road are the ones who pay for it. Would it strike you as being 'more fair' for people in the northern part of your state who may never ever see the road to pay an increased tax of some sort to help defrey the cost?

Whom exactly did you want to pay for this anyway?

I'm not saying it's not fair, I just think it's a bit expensive for a 2way trip. will cost me $7.50. Just to use some toll road. Our governor shoud actually have the city pay for it. But Arnold is busy with other things. Pav, What state are you in and how much do you pay for one way?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I dont currently live near a tollway. However, I used to live in Houston and paid to drive the Outer loop. (beltway 8)

I recently went to Orlando and it cost me about 7.00 one way! Of that amount I think about 3.50 was just at one booth. So I dont think it's that out of line what you are paying.

I also spent last night at a Holiday Inn Express!!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavlovsdog
So I dont think it's that out of line what you are paying.

Well, that's what I wanted to hear. I just felt that going down 3 exits was a bit too much for 3.75. And I don't want to get fastrack, another violation of privacy there. I hate it that the toll road has cameras everywhere and they know everything about you. It's like applying for a US passport to get that toll card. kinda ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The problem with toll roads is that the tolls are almost always justified to pay for the price of building the road and than it is to be payed for by the folks who us ei tmost. Well once the raod is payed for why do the toll boothes not come down since the road upkeep is now being payed for by the Federal Government DOT.

Someone mentioned Orlando, our toll roads (the 408 and 417) went up and we were told that their would be tolls for ten years or until the roads were payed for and then they would become free. Problem was...the Expressway Authority was created to manage the roads and rather than close down a Government Agency and lose state jobs they kept the tolls on. We now pay tolls for the sole purpose of paying for the administration that takes our tolls!!!! The current construction on the 408 is not even being payed with toll money but instead from federal grants and local taxes!!!!!

You can find all sorts of examples of our toll money at work including an all expenses paid Las Vegas excursion for the toll Expressay Authority Directors.

Rip Off

top topics

join