It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Set to OK Cloned Meat and Milk

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
i think thats very wronge i belive labbeling should be mandatory and that if the fda refuses to label such products then they are commiting decitful practices, who knows maybe a class action will get started , we can only hope i guess.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Well it's not going to happen.... They are not going to label it.

I believe they know people would shun away from it. They would prefer to watch the people all die first from diseases they put in it and then say, "whoops, our bad.”

I am just anger over this whole thing. ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
i understand your anger hell we have no control what goes in to our meat produts as is chemicles, antibiotics, hormones etc .all we can do is wait and see what happens check regularly if any organizations are forming protests or getting class action suits ready . all we can do is raise awareness print those two storys and show them to every one you think would read them thats all i can say.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

I agree with you, I am one of those people that make sure I know from where my food supply comes from.

I am very disturbed that they want to push this type of food with disregard of what many citizens wants or not.

It should be a choice for people like me. Because obviously is many that will welcome the cloned meat.

But not me.

I find this part of the link very worrisome,

Animal cloning is a controversial technology with few, if any, benefits to consumers, according to Mellon. Most cloned animals have severe defects and are more likely than ordinary farm animals to die at an early age.

Perhaps this may appeal to many but no to me.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
just want to go on record one more time and say that the fda should absolutely put some sort of label on the packaging to let people know if it is cloned meat or not....

it does make sense though that they would clone the best meat. wouldn't this stop a lot of bad practices from happening?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

Boone it dosen't matter that you or I or anyone else wants a label on it they are not going to do it!!!!!

Despite widespread public disapproval, FDA is not planning to require labeling of products from cloned animals, keeping already wary consumers in the dark," Food and Water Watch, an advocacy group, said in a statement.

link

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I haven't really read this thread. But I think that if meat and milk is cloned literally from meat cells and milk then this is a good thing. This would be more ethical (no animal suffering) and potentially better for the environment. This also means that there would be more food for an ever growing global population, and when climate change decreases farmable land then there will be a new food source. This could save civilisation :p

I remember reading an article about a scientist believing that to be the case anyway!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Shar

i know, shar.
just wanted my ats bretheren (sp) to know whre i stood on the matter. personally i am for this but with disclosure to the consumer

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
Well it's not going to happen.... They are not going to label it.

I believe they know people would shun away from it. They would prefer to watch the people all die first from diseases they put in it and then say, "whoops, our bad.”

I'm 100% in your corner on the labeling but could not disagree more on the rest. Everyone should have all available information to make their own choices.

Life expectancy and quality keeps going up = Government is trying to kill us is a false argument.

OP,
If this means better quality for less money I'm there money in hand. Being a Christian I don't get why this would be a Christian issue. I just took an impromptu pole of my coworkers (8) and all but one said yes they would eat it without hesitation. The one who said "no" gave me permission to mention she is a heavily medicated Bi-Polar and is paranoid of most everything (Her words not mine).

Now they want to know what I'm up to on the Internet
Oh no; what have I done

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Reports this morning say the Food & Drug Administration says clones are safe for food; there are no hidden risks, as some believed. Knowing that, would you eat food from a cloned animal?

Yes 33% 215
No 67% 429
Total Votes: 644

This is not a scientific poll

link

This was the poll from cnn. 67% said they would not eat it. So looks like I'm not alone on this.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It was already done before, and a lot of people wrote in and stated that they will not eat cloned meat. Cloned Meat Awards? I doubt if many people are going to listen to Frank Zappa either, and Dynamo Hum is just somebody's nightmare, and that will be that. And in a Wired Online Magazine article I think a few months back now, some cattle ranchers were sneaking in cloned meat supposedly every now and then. The cloned meat will probably raise the price of the meat since cloned meat to make costs more to begin with. It is their own fault if they lose money, and no one has to listen either to the FDA whether you have a brain left or not in this Country.

Afterawhile, if some foreign country like Japan eats it, then the rest of us will sit back and see if they develop anything from eating it, and see what happens then when they do or do not. Perhaps it also will be WWIII by then, and even Israel is not listening either to any of it, nor probably will eat any cloned anything either.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
IMHO sooner or later we are going to open up Pandora's box. Would cloned meat and milk be safe...hmmmmmm. The jury is out on that one for the time being or until we have evidence to prove one way or another.

Would I or would I not eat cloned meat, well knowingly I would say no due to it not being a natural product. Not that I do not eat man made products, I do. However dealing with a living organism the potential for disaster is much higher. At which point does it become safe or more dangerous to consume? This is a question that should be investigated. Would cloned be more susceptible to transmitting of harmful pathogens Vs natural, once again I don't have a answer for that.

However, that being said, I can see the merits both ways. Should it be proven to be safer than natural I might reconsider. Though just because the FDA says so holds no weight with me. They have proven time and time again to be in the interest of "Big Business" and not the safety of the consumer.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Wow! This thread seems to have been a bit of a one-horse race, so far.

It's at times like these that I'm incredibly glad I made the choice to go vegan. The chemicals, drugs and artificial insemination rife in the meat and dairy industry so far scares the crap out of me - let alone the concept of cloning animals for meat. I am absolutely opposed to it, and for a number of reasons:

- It paves the way for meat-farming of the most hideous nature. It will lead to Matrix-style meat crops, making factory farming look like summer camp for cows. It seems that these cloned animals have already been referred to as being 'lesser' than natural animals. How do you think that will affect their treatment? We will be able to justify the most deplorable of suffering on the grounds that these animals are second-class citizens in the world of cattle. "Oh it's ok that they grow upside down, hanging on a rope. They're not real cows".

- I am not religious, but I am spiritual. Mother nature won't stand for this kind of treatment, and she will express her disapproval one way or another - mostly likely in the form of a new CJD-type disease.

- All practical results of this aside, how much does it say about our world? Is it really for the best interests of us/animals/the planet? Or is it happening because we are unwilling to even acknowledge that the world population has spiralled out of control, let alone address it? If ever there was a sign that population was unnaturally high, surely the requirement for cloned meat would be it. It's quite sickening really.

- Do the supermarkets and mass-providers of meat really care about us, or do they care about profits? Even if they knew this was harmful, would they not go ahead with it anyway in the name of profits? Of course they would. Will the CEOs and their families be eating this cloned meat themselves? I very much doubt it.

- It was suggested in this thread that 'chunks' of meat could be grown independent of the animal. Well I still wouldn't eat it, but on totally different grounds to the ones that led me to become vegan/vegetarian in the first place. I wouldn't eat it out of concern for my own health, because mark my words - there will be health consequences for this. I'd put money on it if my local bookies were taking the bet.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I disagree with everyone, cloned meat could save the world. Imagine forests not needing to be chopped down for grazing land, and old grazing land could be used to grow crops. I don't take the arguement that crops can't grow on what is grazing land because it's bad land. People all over the world have grown crops in all sorts of conditions, just the right crop would have to be used.

And anyway, all cloning is is a replication of a cell. How in the world could that be dangerous? Cloned meat for one thing would be disease and chemical free, making it safer and a more humane option!

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
Wow! This thread seems to have been a bit of a one-horse race, so far.

It's at times like these that I'm incredibly glad I made the choice to go vegan. The chemicals, drugs and artificial insemination rife in the meat and dairy industry so far scares the crap out of me - let alone the concept of cloning animals for meat. I am absolutely opposed to it, and for a number of reasons:

- It paves the way for meat-farming of the most hideous nature. It will lead to Matrix-style meat crops, making factory farming look like summer camp for cows. It seems that these cloned animals have already been referred to as being 'lesser' than natural animals. How do you think that will affect their treatment? We will be able to justify the most deplorable of suffering on the grounds that these animals are second-class citizens in the world of cattle. "Oh it's ok that they grow upside down, hanging on a rope. They're not real cows".

- I am not religious, but I am spiritual. Mother nature won't stand for this kind of treatment, and she will express her disapproval one way or another - mostly likely in the form of a new CJD-type disease.

- All practical results of this aside, how much does it say about our world? Is it really for the best interests of us/animals/the planet? Or is it happening because we are unwilling to even acknowledge that the world population has spiralled out of control, let alone address it? If ever there was a sign that population was unnaturally high, surely the requirement for cloned meat would be it. It's quite sickening really.

- Do the supermarkets and mass-providers of meat really care about us, or do they care about profits? Even if they knew this was harmful, would they not go ahead with it anyway in the name of profits? Of course they would. Will the CEOs and their families be eating this cloned meat themselves? I very much doubt it.

- It was suggested in this thread that 'chunks' of meat could be grown independent of the animal. Well I still wouldn't eat it, but on totally different grounds to the ones that led me to become vegan/vegetarian in the first place. I wouldn't eat it out of concern for my own health, because mark my words - there will be health consequences for this. I'd put money on it if my local bookies were taking the bet.

I disagree with mother nature not taking a liking to this. If anything cloning meat would be less intrusive to nature and the planet, and it would stop the horrible treatment of animals.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I just wonder about the taste, if it tastes just the same and maybe costs a little less per pound then i'm all for it. Heck they should do the same with chicken (way to expensive). The whole clone of a clone thing kind of worries me, but as long as there were controls in place to only permit cloning of originals to prevent cellular degradation then we'd be in business. As far as my morals on this issue, there aren't any really with all the additives and growth hormones are in beef these days we may as well be eating cloned. Good job on the FDA's part though, have been waiting on this for a little while.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I think its time I started raising my own cattle again like they did in the old days. We dont know if maybe something in these cows may change us. It could for all we know. There cloned so therefor they are not natural animals. I refuse to eat meat from cloned animals, and if I have to I will become a vegetarian. But then again with all the preservatives in the vegetables now that makes them stay good for 6 months maybe I should just starve.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by hildar

I grew up with farm animals and home grown products, my father now in his 70s said that if he have to go back to farming and raising farm animals he will do it but in not way he will eat cloned meat.

I agree with him. Like I say let the cloned meat be the choice of the consumer not pushed into the consumers.

Cloning have been controversial from the beginning due to the fact that while the cloned animals are born healthy they die younger and will develop diseases and abnormalities faster.

The FDA will avoid that having the animals killed before they start to develop problems and marking the meat safe.

That is the way they will deceived the consumer into believing that is safe.

My husband and me already we are talking about eliminating meat completely from out diet.

When people start developing all kind of weird forms of diseases from eating this meat the pharmaceuticals will be reaping the benefits of new drugs and medicines to treat the problems.

FDA and big Pharm they all crocked and corrupted.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

Shar, I totally agree. it's AS IF genetics are completely understood! It's the opposite. Little is known. Back in the day, we used to have a tv commercial one-liner that brought a chuckle: "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" It's very bad that we, the public, will have no way of knowing what kind of Soylent Green or Red we will be given. I predict BIG problems. Ok, this is the last straw, I'm going vegan so I can eat only cloned produce. Nobody gets out of here alive! Perhaps it's time for... another vodka.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I agree with your statement. Of course though the governments will never, ever admit to the fact that the clone meat has made new diseases in us. Or has made us sicker than ever before. They can put any thing they want in the clones and give it to us.

I just don't like it.

Another Vodka,

I heard on cspan that they the cloned animals cannot even regulate their own body temperatures. These are not healthy animals yet they are going to feed them to us.

A person should never, ever eat an unhealthy animal. Eat unhealthy and you can easily become unhealthy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join