It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Set to OK Cloned Meat and Milk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

FDA Set to OK Cloned Meat and Milk

www.allamericanpatriots.com

The Food and Drug Administration is expected to declare as early as this week that meat and milk from cloned animals and their offspring pose no public health threat. The agency is likely to lift its "voluntary moratorium" on their sale.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
of course there are still religious and ethical issues but the FDA is saying(according to cnn this morning) that cloned meat is 'ok' to eat.

so i pose the question, would you eat cloned beef?

i would.....why not

www.allamericanpatriots.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
as long as it's grain fed, hormone-free and free-range, you bet.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Boon I'm wondering if the cloning process and close monitoring will reduce the possibility of mad cow disease. I enjoy a good juicy hamburger but always in the back of my mind I think of contracting a disease from the meat.

Is the problem mostly ethical or is there supposed to be something harmful about cloned beef?
Dizzie

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

i am thinking the 'problems' are ethics and religious beliefs...at least thats how it seemed to me when they covered it on the news this morning.

i don't see any ethical or religious problems with it...then again, i am not religious and i go by my own moral/ethical compass.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
No I would not want to eat cloned meat.

However, sadly I don't think we will be told. I think they are going to package and sell it to us without a lable telling us it is cloned. To trick us is wrong in so many ways.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm curious about something.

I wonder how many times we can clone meat, before there is cellular degredation. Think about it? The more we copy from a copy, the genetic properties are bound to unravel, or 'mis-sequencing'.

Pros: Cloning the best beef out there, will ensure an 'abundant' food source.

Cons: Cellular degeneration at the genetic level.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shar
No I would not want to eat cloned meat.

However, sadly I don't think we will be told. I think they are going to package and sell it to us without a lable telling us it is cloned. To trick us is wrong in so many ways.

why would you not eat cloned meat?
just curious...not just to you but to all. if you will not eat cloned meat, why?
please and thanks

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDuckster
I'm curious about something.

I wonder how many times we can clone meat, before there is cellular degredation. Think about it? The more we copy from a copy, the genetic properties are bound to unravel, or 'mis-sequencing'.

that makes sense but what if the 'rule' is they can only copy an original?
no copy of a copy...
or, we can only copy a copy one time....what do you think about it then?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Another one of those "hmmmmm" subjects.

I think "cloned meat" is the way of the future of meat in our diet if we're to continue being able to eat it at anything even close to the rate we consume it now. We're currently consuming meat at an unsustainable rate compared to population growth, according to this report. While we could significantly reduce our animal protein intake and still have a high-quality regular meal each day, I don't know any omnivorous families rushing to add more veg to their plate and cutting their meat portions in half.

On the downside though, there's something that screams to the "inner chimp" of my brain that if our diet is so dependent on meat, and that there are so many of us that we're having to clone it, just to maintain parity, then something is seriously wrong with the way we're doing things.

I dunno. I'm far from being a vegetarian; if God didn't want us to eat meat, then he wouldn't have made animals so tasty. But what is the eventual cost, and to what lengths are we each willing to go in order to eat meat? If technology progressed to the point where they could just lab-grow a shapeless mass of fatty beef muscle that required nothing more than a few tubes feeding into it, and they could just slice portions off, package them, wait for that side to heal, cut slices off the next side, wait for that to heal, etc, would you still eat it?

Would such a beef-blob creature be any less natural than a cow, which has been bred and cultured to the point that it has no natural place in the ecosystem anymore?

I dunno. I just don't know. I loves myself some meat. Especially a good steak. But the logical mind says we're all due for a pretty big lifestyle change in the near future.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
And I can see cloned meat's reception now:

"Hmm Mmm! It tastes just like real meat! Can I have some more?"

Sadly, the concept of "You are what you eat" has been condensed to "Eat" instead of being expanded to "You are what you eat and what it ate as well" to accommodate all genetically modified feeds fed to animals. As with most technologies, it seems the malfunction lies not with the mechanical components, but the human element. You will be hard-pressed to find people who actually care about the chemicals added to meats and other products save some instant chemical reaction. Spontaneous human combustion might convince a few people .

I have stopped eating meat altogether since I have either a horrible reaction to the meat itself or the "special ingredients" added to it. I sometimes have a lesser reaction to fruits: usually, they make my throat scratchy and leave me with a stomach ache. If this keeps up, I am going to have to live off the grass in my backyard and hunt those damn birds that make theirs nests in my gutter.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
For me it's just personal. I believe in my heart that this is bad. Very bad. Everything in me says, "NO, don't eat cloned meat."

It's a personal opinion. I personally don't see it as good for our bodies. Just my personal opinion and belief. Of course my opinion don't matter, the government is going to give it to us weather we want it or not.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

On the downside though, there's something that screams to the "inner chimp" of my brain that if our diet is so dependent on meat, and that there are so many of us that we're having to clone it, just to maintain parity, then something is seriously wrong with the way we're doing things.

^^^^^i think it just comes down to sheer numbers. there are a lot of friggin people walking around out there.

If technology progressed to the point where they could just lab-grow a shapeless mass of fatty beef muscle that required nothing more than a few tubes feeding into it, and they could just slice portions off, package them, wait for that side to heal, cut slices off the next side, wait for that to heal, etc, would you still eat it?

^^^^i would eat it.....i don't see any reason why no too. i mean beef is beef right? if they cook it up in a petri dish and it is 'beef' then i don't see it as any different than a cow producing beef.

also, what/who is to say this is not the natural progression of our meat consumption?
there was a time when meat was a rarity. then all who ate meat raised and slaughtered their livestock on their own. then we have cattle farms and we buy our meat at a grocery store.

who is to say that cloning is not the next 'logical/reasonable' step? it might be....things don't stay the same forever.

also, how would vegetarians and vegans feel about this? would they still not eat meat?
it would not be coming from a slaughtered animal but a petri dish?

lotsa strands on old duders head

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar

your opinion matters to me for the sake of this conversation...

i was kinda hoping for a little more....like, WHY are you against this? why the gut feeling that says no? just cause it is not natural or what?

not trying to get on your case. just trying to talk it out

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I would also like to add that I don't like man made fruits and vegetables either.

I like them made naturally with the seeds in them. The way God intended it.

We have fooled around with our foods so much and we sit back and wonder why our country is fatter and sicker than other countries.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is an interesting question, and it's good that the FDA have simply looked at whether it's safe to eat rather than trying to impose their morals and views on cloned meat by banning/promoting it. Now people have a choice whether to eat it or not. I would support mandatory labelling of cloned meat to ensure that people who don't want to eat it can avoid it.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ste2652
. I would support mandatory labelling of cloned meat to ensure that people who don't want to eat it can avoid it.

without question i think that should be mandatory. people should know what they are eating.
cloned meat in one corner and original in the other.

what if cloned meat was 50% cheaper than non cloned? would that make a difference to those that wouldn't want to consume it?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

No price would make no difference to me. I still would not eat it. I already pay above the average price for my meat just to get the meat that has no hormones in it. As well as being fed grain. I refuse to eat FDA meat cause it has hormones in it as well as not being fed correctly. I do the same with my eggs and milk and chicken and everything else I eat.

To me it makes a Big difference in what I eat.

I do not appreciate the government tricking us though and not packaging it and labeling it to where we know. I would want to know. I would want to be informed.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
also, what/who is to say this is not the natural progression of our meat consumption?
there was a time when meat was a rarity. then all who ate meat raised and slaughtered their livestock on their own. then we have cattle farms and we buy our meat at a grocery store.

who is to say that cloning is not the next 'logical/reasonable' step? it might be....things don't stay the same forever.

Oh, IMHO, it definitely is the "next logical step", if we as a society are to continue eating meat in any appreciable quantity, as is the "vat-o-beef". I mean, rationally, there's no way we can continue using the amount of land for herds of cattle, along with the water, feed, oil, labor, etc, necessary to raise them in that fashion. Raising meat-blobs in a vat will probably in the next 100 years or so, be the only way anyone gets meat that isn't black-market.

But logic doesn't always paint the whole of the picture for us.

A meat-blob is technically life, even if we managed to create it without a brain. So that begs the question: does it therefore have any consciousness? Does it perhaps even have a soul? If souls exist, what has a soul and what doesn't? Some religions believe only humans have souls, others say even single-celled organisms have a soul. Some even extend the soul to plants and minerals. But let's even just take consciousness, at its purest level:

What kind of tortured existance is it to be a meat blob? Would it be worse than a cow in present conditions? Better? The same?

The moral and ethical considerations surrounding our foods become more and more intertwined with the practical considerations as well. Like Shar and some others have said, the additives used to get our meat to breed and grow fast enough, become tasty enough, etc, are starting to have adverse effects upon the population at large, while meats and veg raised in a more organic fashion appear to be far healthier to the human body.

But not only is this organic fashion more expensive, it is not nearly as sustainable in the long run as we continuously deplete our arable land. We must either physically, emotionally, and spiritually adapt to the less moral and ethical conditions of raising food, or resign ourselves to the prospect of mass-starvation in the near future to retain a healthier, more ethical method of sustainable food production.

So what's worse? Consigning future generations to die of starvation, or consigning them to eating unhealthy chemical and hormone infused foods? This is a real, real ugly choice we're facing in the next 15-45 years.

Originally posted by Ste2652
I would support mandatory labelling of cloned meat to ensure that people who don't want to eat it can avoid it.

Ditto, though this is only a short-term fix to the long-term problem mentioned above.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
You have been pretty much eating cloned meat for the last 40 years. Somewhere I read that 1 bull hadover a million offspring in something like 5 years thru artificial insemination. The cloned meat will be the best of the best and I am looking forward to it and if the controversy gets really bad perhaps it will cost even less. MMMMMMM!

mikell

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join