It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police brutality may be necessary.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Ever been to Los Angeles or New York? Seen the graffiti and bad neighborhoods? Heard of the gang wars going on in "the hood"? If we slackened on police and limited brutality against the offenders, our entire nation would be in fear of the gangs. With increased gangs and drugs, we need more police to keep us safe (as long as they don't turn on us). Why are people like Jones and sites like ATS accusing police of brutality if it is, in some places, unavoidable?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Polic brutality legitimizes the claim of criminals that they are the righteous who are opressed by the criminal occupiers of their neighborhoods.

Furthermore, I live in the suburbs and wore a badge to work everyday, but was badly beaten and repeatedly tased by local police recently on my own front porch for cracking on how small their police force was.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Funny, because all the people I see getting bashed and assaulted and tasered by police don't seem to be Bloods.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777
(as long as they don't turn on us).

There you go.

Btw, supporting law enforcement and supporting police brutality are two different things, don't ya know?

[edit on 15-1-2008 by loam]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
If anything we should be enforcing much stronger standards of conduct on our police officers.

Here's what I'd do: I'd contract with Apple to create the "I-cop": Basically a beefed up I-phone with the best available video and audio recorder, GPS, and enough memory and battery life for 12 hours of continuous recording, as well as wi-fi capability, allowing it to be accessed in real time by police dispatchers and other officers in the field.

You make those standard issue, have every cop wearing one securely clipped on his chest, and teach the cops how to get the most use out of them, for avoiding false allegations, for recording indisputable evidence, and for coordinating operations to give themselves a tactical advantage in dangerous or confusing situations.

From there on out, there should never be any question as to whether or not the use of force was justified.

Furthermore, consider the fact that police forces are essentially paramilitary organizations.

If a soldier conspires with the enemy, that soldier can be executed for treason. If a soldier is involved in an operation against his own countrymen, other than on appropriate orders in case of rebellion, he can be executed for treason.
Sounds like a precedent for dealing with dirty cops if you ask me.

I understand that cops make mistakes, and failing to see any proof to the contrary, I'd like to assume that most cops are basically decent people.

I'm not saying a cop should hang if I resist arrest and I get my arm broken when he puts me on the ground- if I'm dumb enough to do something wrong, and dumb enough not to just keep my mouth shut and call my lawyer, then maybe I should write off the consequences of my actions as a learning experience.

But when a cop abuses does willfully does something wrong, and is not acting in the appropriate discharge of his duties, then he's not a cop. And if he's not a cop, he's an armed felon. On top of that, he's in deriliction of duty, and depending on the case, possibly a traitor to the society he is supposed to be serving.

Police brutality does not need to be endorsed- it needs to be dealt with in the strictest manner that is conscionable to our society when it happens, and before it happens it needs to be prevented with appropriate training and oversight.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
A little tid bit here. The reasons there are gangs and ever increasing numbers of gangs, is because they derive their profits from drugs, with a handful of other crimes on the side like car theft and such.

Now lets go back twenty years, and you will find the likes of George Bush Sr, Oliver North, and many members of Bush Jr.s staff involved in a well known conspiracy to trade arms with columbian rebels for drugs.

They pumped this country full of crack coc aine and our streets were a blood bath.
Until magically bill clinton comes along and crack is forgotten by all but the crack heads.

Now while all this was going on the Bush regime and its pawns in congress were pushing to have national guard on every street corner. DUI road blocks began to occur every weekend "Papers please."

Bush planned to suspend posse comatatus and put American military troops on the streets.

The constitution would tear that far so Bush put the military into a support role for the police...training I think they called it. Ane these thugs broke into people's houses killing innocent people beacause they were in the wrong house, or oops the gun went off and splatter a 70 year old womans brains all over the room.

Then the COPS tv show came on, its been on 20 years now?
20 years of propaganda "look cops are cool, they got some guy with pot...ooh scary pot".

We don't need police brutality, we need every citizen armed, think gangs would even give lip to an old lady knowing everyone in their neighborhood could exact revenge at any given time of day? No damn right they wouldn't.
Think terrorists would attack knowing everyone is armed?
Hell no!

But what does this government do?
It disarms everyone.

There are over 8 million children on ritalin or other psychiatric, they will never own a weapon, its illegal now for them own a weapon.

There are millions of adults who have been prescribed psychiatric drugs for things as simple as a yeast infection, they will never be allowed to own a gun.

There are tens of thousands of men and women returning from the middle east, who will never be allowed to own a weapon.

There are over 10 million drug convictions in the past decade, they will never be allowed to own a weapon. (many don't get to vote either!)

You see a pattern here?

They are setting up the nation to be beaten like bad dogs with not so much as a wagging tale to save themselves.

You think we need police brutality?
I say we need more cop killers.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It is all planned, of course. First, give welfare to the ghetto occupants and get then on the government teat. Then, take the welfare away and insist that they all get ' jobs '. However, there are no jobs in those areas and most decent wage jobs have been sent to Mexico and elsewhere.

So, no jobs and no support for millions of ghetto and lower class people. THEN, crack down on the drug trade that the Government created by Prohibition and throw these same people in jail to work for the prison industries. Have litle or no drug treatment, leave society so depressing and barren that many hopeless and depressed people turn to substances to dull the ache of a life without hope..and arrest as many as you can and place them in jail!! That creates new opportunities, in prisons and probation and on and on...where the money flows to.

Now, the government has a substantial population under control, behind bars or on probation or parole..a steady and reliable supply of labor that is virtually free and cannot strike or demand wages beyond a few cents an hour. It is a sweet set up for all except the people who are ruined and lives lost.

The cops are of course using far too much force and it is never justified whatsoever. Those who think that any solutions lie in more and worse police abuses is foolish; the system is corrupt from the top down, and the cops are way down the ladder. The people who run the future for us do not care how many cops get offed or how many civilians are locked away for ages for no reall offense.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
If everyone had a gun, wouldn't the streets go BANG! every five minutes? And if crazy people had the chance to own guns, it would be END OF THE WORLD.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

In NYC, guns are illegal. People are robbed at gunpoint and shot all the time. Right across the river in New Jersey, same thing. In fact, Jersey invented the carjacking.

In Texas, guns are perfectly legal. You can walk into a pawn shop, buy a pistol, shoot someone dead on the street, and sell the gun back to the pawnbroker. Yet in Texas they've never heard of a carjacking.

So you tell me, which system works better to deter crime? Thugs aren't going to go out and start preying on people who are armed to the teeth. A crackhead is not going to carjack a pistol packin' soccer mom.

Look at the statistics. Violent gun crimes are far higher in areas where the guns laws are the most strict.

Why should a government for the people and by the people require so much much force and influence over the people?

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

new topics

top topics

join