It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug-resistant staph found to be passed in gay sex

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Drug-resistant staph found to be passed in gay sex

www.reuters.com

A drug-resistant strain of potentially deadly bacteria has moved beyond the borders of US hospitals and is being transmitted among gay men during sex.
Researchers said methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is beginning to appear outside hospitals in San Francisco, Boston, New York and Los Angeles.
Sexually active gay men in San Francisco are 13 times more likely to be infected than their heterosexual neighbors, the researchers reported in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.reuters.com

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
A new superbug to incite fear in the homosexual community...Just what they need.

This reminds me of the 'gay plague' (AIDS).

With that being said, I feel sorry for anyone who comes in contact with any deadly disease.

Good luck with fighting the infection and stay safe guys!

Use a condom!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SectionEight

they said nothing of iv drug users there talking about homosexual sex. and i think personaly that this is horrible and ive read what this illness does to people , that being said i hope more people will be smart and use a condom.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

That does remind one of the initial assessment of HIV/Aids in the 80's, this is a scary disease, I have to agree with the poster concerning quarrantine, until a viable treatment can be developed shouldn't those infected be kept away from the rest of the public?

Let's hope that it doesn't take too long to find a vaccine to cure this superbug.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
its not long before anyone can get it then

virus and infections only need a host

i think that was just another right wing text to blame gays for many problems

that is just crap

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I read the article. It mentions that MRSA can be spread from anal sex/contact. Last I checked it wasn't just gays that were engaged in that kind of activity.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
fantastic

another reason for the religious fundy, anti gay people to hate on em for.

the article did say it can be passes through hetero couples too but hey, that don't make for a good headline

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

the article does not mention anal sex.
it says that along with the nose, this bug can keep itself in the anal glands.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Should have bought up some prison islands back in the 80's. Quassi lepper colonies is what we need. It might not be politically correct but it is medically correct. Quarantine is legal.

Dude... what year are you living in?? Just so I understand what you are saying... you would like to institute 'Leper Style' colonies on abandoned islands throughout North America?
They have facilities to preform these tasks, where they care for and try to help the individuals in need. Sensitivity is sometimes considered important too.

This is not just for losers who are homos or drug addicts ...

I leave this for someone else to comment on

.. there is still a high risk of blood transfusion contraction of these diseases

???, as there are many other diseases that get spread by blood transfusions. Why focus on this one?

There are screening processes currently in place for checking 'All' blood.

..Once these people get it, they don't care about society and want to spread their plague.

Again, I leave this for someone else to comment on.

It sounds like fear mongering but it is the truth. Drastic measures will not eradicate it but it will keep it to a minimum. Death is all around you, political correctness just makes you more vulnerable. Society must draw the lines of good for the whole vs the individual, and death is winning.

Doesn't SOUND like fear mongering... that IS fear mongering your spouting.

According to the article, they are not sure for certain how the virus is spread, they are speculated due to the group in which it is most prevelant.

"We think that it's spread through sexual activity," Diep said.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
It is methicilin resistant, but it is not resistant to ALL drugs. I had this type of staph recently and was put on a strong antibiotic. It got rid of it fine. No need to quarantine anyone.
Also, it can be gotten thru simple non-sexual contact as well.
Sounds to me like they're trying to warn about anal sex, but perhaps also to create headlines. Lots of children have had this type of staph infection and have died. They get it from their friends in school.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Once these people get it, they don't care about society and want to spread their plague.

Huh? Where do you get that idea from? I had this staph infection and I didn't go out deliberately trying to spread it. I don't think most people have that as their ambition.

top topics

join