It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dancing Spychief Wants to Tap Into Cyberspace

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Dancing Spychief Wants to Tap Into Cyberspace

blogs.wsj.com

Spychief Mike McConnell is drafting a plan to protect America’s cyberspace, raising privacy issues and make the current debate over surveillance law look like “a walk in the park." “This is going to be a goat rope on the Hill. My prediction is that we’re going to screw around with this until something horrendous happens." McConnell acknowledges that the government must read all information on the internet to protect it from abuse.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
AT&T and Other ISPs May Be Getting Ready to Filter

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Wow, another case of 'we're protecting you from yourself.'

The internet is too dangerous as an unregulated form of speech. The government has to be able to silence public dissent.

I recently started a thread about AT&T and Microsoft OKing censorship (rifling through packets) and now we have an intelligence officer saying that's what he wants to do.

So...Who thinks we're not being censored now?

Its for your own good folks...

blogs.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have never understood this obsession with censoring everything. I mean, China, USA, and a few others are completely infatuated with shutting their eyes to opinions they don't like.

Isn't a mark of a free nation the freedom to hold and express your own opinions?

So, the US is just willingly slipping into a dictatorship nightmare... at least show some signs of struggle guys, come on!

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

johnsky,

I agree. China is using google to censor their internet, and all google can say is its in the best interest of the Chinese people! What a crock of #.

UK, US, China, Russia all are bent on controlling and suppressing their populations. I wouldn't be surprised to see India far behind.

We live in a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, eh? (Wasn't that a movie or something
).

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
there at it again once they sanatize the net i see very lil point in me even using it anymore. man they realy try there damndest to ruin everything i love.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I must say that censorship of the internet is in the list of my top ten concerns. I usually worry about it a bit but then I realize that it's never been that hard to find so called "illegal" information on the internet. Compound that with the fact that the government generally bumbles anything they try and are always behind the times when it comes to private sector information technology. Add to that the fact that the government needs to spy on us because it doesn't know where all the juicy stuff happens on the net and will always be 2 steps behind those that start and manage the sharing of this information. Let's not forget that there are plenty of means of circumventing government censorship of the net already available and in use by people in places like China.

All in all, I'm not too worried really.

I mean if you read up on your internet history you can see that the net as we know it today was pretty much started by ex students hacking back into the ARPAnet.

Just as the net is spelling big trouble for the RIAA and others concerned with copyright infringement I think the net is a big opponent for the government to tackle and I don't think it will be as easy as they think.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
No outrage?

No riots in the streets with this news?

Well, I guess all the fear mongering with Iran probably has people a little more worried about another war than an infringing federal government.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Big Brother wants to control the internet. The Russians are on the move as well.

Kremlin eyes internet control ...

The Russian government is looking to create a Cyrillic internet, but is it just another case of Big Brother controlling its citizens?

[---]

The problem for Russia is that its top-level domain - with the ASCII suffix .ru - translates into Cyrillic as .py, the domain name of Paraguay. That could pose security problems for Russian users.

[---]

The Kremlin therefore would be able to control what communication the individual is having with the rest of the world. The government says that would help it monitor cybercrime.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Paraguay? How ironic...

new topics

top topics

join