It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dozens in Texas town report seeing UFO

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Is it common for the government to scramble some fighter planes to investigate reports of something that they are 90% sure was just 2 planes? Seems a little odd to me.

It would be nice if we got some video of this though.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Is it common for the government to scramble some fighter planes to investigate reports of something that they are 90% sure was just 2 planes? Seems a little odd to me.

You're absolutely right, that does seem odd!

Your claim that they scrambled fighters I mean. There is nothing on this in the reports, in fact the military spokesperson deny any fighters being in the air at the time and I've not read any witness claiming to see fighters.

Can we at least stick to the bloody reports instead of making things up?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Merka,

Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

news.yahoo.com...

They actually do reference military aircraft. Just breathe deeply...Everything is going to be alright.

Becker

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Becker44]

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Becker44]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If there were Air Force planes chasing this object then I would have to say it was picked up on radar and was something that shouldn't have been there. If reports of the size are accurate then I would have to say then it is certainly not man made, unless some other country has some serious tech. Since there are reports of our air craft giving chase then if it were man made it would have to belong to another country which scares the crap out of me. So I would have to say something not of this planet or not of this time. Very very interesting, hope there is more information on this in the future i.e. radar reports/video. Starred and flagged.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
wow a mile long and half a mile wide!! that thing was huge, i have never seen a UFO but i would have p****d my pants if i saw something like that. Kind of scary thou.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Pics or bust!

Heck! That's a one line post. Let's make it two before I get rapped on the knuckles...

Pics or bust!!

Cheers!

[MOD EDIT] Silly ATSer, thats still a one line post..
Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

It would be nice if we got some video of this though.

I don't think we'll honestly get to see a video any time soon. I'm sure that, if these reports are to be believed, the govt. would've probably made a wide sweep asking people to turn in their tapes/videos etc. For the skeptics and the believers here, www.abovetopsecret.com... read "on the question of trust"

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I believe them , the description he gave was exactly what I saw years ago.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by disownedsky

• All the studies agree that people do NOT know what they see, by and large. About 80% of all UFO reports are misperceptions. People are no well-equipped perceptually to estimate the size and distance of objects in the sky. In many cases, it simply isn't possible. Here on ATS, we have people constantly putting forth very common objects such as aircraft landing lights as UFOs.

I couldn't agree more, this is perhaps the most well-reasoned reply in this thread so far. We just don't know how "big" this thing actually was. Unless someone was using lasers to actually determine the distance and size of the object, it's impossible to say whether it was several miles wide and high up, or only a couple hundred feet wide and a hundred feet in the air. Even if there were pictures clearly showing an alien spacecraft I STILL would not trust the size reports estimated by witnesses. Everyone seems so eager to believe the reports that no critical thinking is applied first. Unless someone measured it with a laser range finder, I'm not going to believe it, it's just way too difficult for the average person to accurately estimate it.

Ever see the moon rise close to the horizon and see how huge it looks compared to when it's high in the sky? Wouldn't you estimate it to be larger than when it's high up? It's an optical illusion, one that's purely in your mind, not some natural phenomenon, and certainly not a real change. How many out there assume it's some kind of atmospheric magnification of the moon's image? Their eyes are tricking them because of the Ponzo illusion, so how could they be expected to be at all accurate about an object they admit they've never seen before and have no experience observing?

I want to see real evidence of advanced alien spacecraft as much as anyone here, but I'm not going to jump on every sighting bandwagon, particularly when the only consistent thing between observers is "lights in the sky."

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Becker44
Merka,

Some reported seeing fighter jets chasing it.

news.yahoo.com...

They actually do reference military aircraft. Just breathe deeply...Everything is going to be alright.

Maj. Karl Lewis, a spokesman for the 301st Fighter Wing at the Joint Reserve Base Naval Air Station in Fort Worth, said no F-16s or other aircraft from his base were in the area the night of Jan. 8, when most people reported the sighting.

Officials at the region's two Air Force bases — Dyess in Abilene and Sheppard in Wichita Falls — also said none of their aircraft were in the area last week.

Until this is refuted (as in eye witnesses near the bases reporting scramble of fighters), I'd trust that especially since the reports are inconsistent. If they cant give a clear description of a massive UFO, I wont trust them to identify fighter jets.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by merka]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think its safe to assume it covered a large portion of the sky..so unless it was a few inches above there face..we can say it was quite BIG..maybe not a mile big..or maybe more..but it was BIG.
Even a B2 Bomber flying fairly close to the ground isn't gonna take up that much of the sky for example..again ur assuming the people saw an illusion and its nothing real..and I think your wrong.

What kinda misconception can produce something of this scale and oddness..back to the chinese party lantirns are we?

GIMME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ngchunter

Originally posted by disownedsky

• All the studies agree that people do NOT know what they see, by and large. About 80% of all UFO reports are misperceptions. People are no well-equipped perceptually to estimate the size and distance of objects in the sky. In many cases, it simply isn't possible. Here on ATS, we have people constantly putting forth very common objects such as aircraft landing lights as UFOs.

Mod Edit: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by atsguy_106
I think its safe to assume it covered a large portion of the sky..so unless it was a few inches above there face..we can say it was quite BIG..maybe not a mile big..or maybe more..but it was BIG.
Even a B2 Bomber flying fairly close to the ground isn't gonna take up that much of the sky for example..again ur assuming the people saw an illusion and its nothing real..and I think your wrong.

What kinda misconception can produce something of this scale and oddness..back to the chinese party lantirns are we?

GIMME A BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to get defensive, the ponzo illusion is absolutely unavoidable when looking towards the horizon.

tell me, which yellow line looks bigger?

If that's where they were seeing it, the true size would be impossible to estimate by eye. Have you seen a b52 in flight? I have, they're pretty friggen big looking. If it were a disc I might easily over-estimate the size, but that's not even something universally reported in this case.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
About a week ago I had a very strange dream. I remember it very clearly.

I dreamed that there were UFO's hovering very close to the groud. Many of them. There was a beam of blue light coming from them and they were directing them at homes and buildings, I could see people running for their lives.

This dream was in color and I wrote the dream down that morning and drew a picture of what the ufo's looked like.

I've had many dreams during my life that have come true, like the Challenger exploding.

When I was about 3 years old I was sitting with my Aunt on the front porch. It was night and very dark. We lived in the country so there wasn't any city lights.
This happened in the early 1950"s.

What we saw I have never forgotten , even at that young age,

It was many UFO"S in the shape of ovals but they appeared to be bright lights. It was a large group of them .

I've actually seen a photo of the exact ufo's on the internet.

I have always had a deep interest in the Universe and UFO's.

I sure hope that this sighting has nothing to do with the dream that I had.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A mile long and a half mile wide!!!

I wonder if it was blue and white and had aircraft carriers for arms...

Being chased by variable mode fighters perhaps??.....

Seriously though.. if it was that big someone would have pulled out there damn cellphone and snapped one off. I personally would have been dumbstruck, but somewhere someone would hold it together.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Even if there was video people out there would find ways to refute it. There os plenty of video out there of objects that are questionable and people still throw out there "its a plane"

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I dont why everybody stirs and denies what people describe what they saw. I think that what they describe is what they saw, i know that there is a high % that maybe they think the saw something and was something else actually but saying in a way "they are ignorant and they dont know what they saw" for me its very bad sign from this forum. You are judging people when nobody from here saw the thing, everybody is speculation (not a bad thing but i see lots of flaming the thing). People can make mistakes but just 1 or 2, many in the town saw the same exact thing?..well thats different. Now i am thinking that if its not GOV aproved then all its a lie, and the people in town that saw this thing are very wrong.

Now this is sad, the GOV can say whatever they want, heck they dont want to deal with this stuff actually, thats why they will denied everything in the UFO matter (whatever this things flying are ET, or from other dimension of some black budget military craft)

I am just kind of sick to see people just flame good reports that end up in important news stations just because "people cant see good" or is not GOV aproved, this is not a report like fantastic things like billy mayer or jhonatan reed or that type of stuff that is more crap than true...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
If it was so big and seen by so many people I wonder if it was caught on any security cameras anywhere.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I stopped trying to convince skeptibunkers about anything to do with UFOS or aliens a long time ago. To use a cliche, you are up against a constantly moving goalpost.

Sighting but no pic (like this one) ...... Skeptibunker 'Useless, just a sighting with no pic. Don't believe it!'

Sighting with bad pic ...... Skeptibunker ' Sighting with a bad pic. Virtually useless. Don't believe it!'

Sighting with good pic ...... Skeptibunker ' Pic looks too good to be true to me. I reckon it's photoshopped, Don't believe it!'

Sighting with bad pic and video..... Skeptibunker 'Sighting with a bad pic & video. Virtually useless. Don't believe it!'

Sighting with good pic and video ...... Skeptibunker ' Pic/ video looks too good to be true to me. I reckon it's photoshopped, Don't believe it!'

Sighting with pic, video, & radar trace ...... ' Pic/ video looks too good to be true to me. I reckon it's photoshopped, and the radar operater was mistaken cause it was a chinese lantern that collided with some marsh gas. Don't believe it!'

.... and on & on!!...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Pretty sure my roomate and I saw the same thing early last night. I live in Southwest Louisiana right near the TX border and we saw a large object, maybe a mileish or so away flying low, "large" orangish reddish glow surrounding it. No sound whatsoever. Now all day today we've had F-15's flying circles around the town. Interesting.

The mile away part is an estimate, and at that distance, the orange glow around whatever it was was similar in size to a full moon, So whatever it was, it was BIG.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Zenagain]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just watched the video for the third time, No-one said a word about fighters chasing the ufo, but one guy said it didn't make a sound and took off fast. he estimated it to be 300 feet above his head.

Think about a ufo a mile long and half a mile wide, thats much bigger than the Enterprise-E from Star Trek, that Ship was 700 meters long, yes I know it's sci-fi but that ship would be enormous, but still small compared to a mile long and a half mile wide. I'd love to see something like that, instead of the enormous red glowing ball I saw a couple of years ago.

Does anyone really think, the Airforce would actually admit, um yes we did have fighters chasing this object?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join