It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will i even notice an increase in speed or did i get bamboozled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
for $4 per month.

i am currently getting 7 megabits per second down on my broadband. they just called me with a 12 month promo that for $4 more per month i will get bumped up to 15 megabits per second.

they said it will go into effect tomorrow and will have to restart the pc first...

anyways, do you think i will notice a difference?

if not i can cancel as there is no contract...

tell ya what....someone music collection is about to grow bigtime if it is a noticible difference in speed

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Test your current speed first:

www.dslreports.com...

If it is what it is supposed to be, they may not be the type that hoodwinks their customers. At any rate you can tell them the results of your speedtest (so that they know they can't fool you).

Can't say the same for MY ISP... which unfortunately I can't change because there is no other option... bloody monopolies...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Well perhaps one fine day in 132 years South Africa may experience what 15mb/s is like - home based. For now the most we can get, generally, though our phone company in terms of DSL is 4mb/s at an alarming cost in comparison and then we still have to pay an ISP for bandwith (data) and really not that fast due to contention. Oh well.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It all depends on how good the phone line is, the closer that you are to the exchange the faster the speed.
I was told by my ISP that my line was only good for 512 mbs.
hope this helps
John.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
must be all good cause i ran a speed test and i am getting 10mb's down.

works for me

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
It all depends on how good the phone line is, the closer that you are to the exchange the faster the speed.

Phone line? People still use dial up?

Brings me back to the days where you'd have to wait for aol to dial up for about an hour and a half just to get online, only to be disconnected a few minutes later because someone called the house.:bnghd:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AcesInTheHole

Originally posted by jon1

Phone line? People still use dial up?

Brings me back to the days where you'd have to wait for aol to dial up for about an hour and a half just to get online, only to be disconnected a few minutes later because someone called the house.:bnghd:

Phone line, yes. But it runs broadband that is always connected. I don't have to dial. A lot of places in the UK run cable now that is a lot faster.
Cheers
John.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
You "MAY" not notice much difference depending oin where yuou go and what you do.

The reason is the only change being made is the speed from your home/office to your ISP (Internet service provider).

From there you are at the mericy of the internet router/traffic and most importantly, the upload/outgoing speed of the sites you go to.
What I mean is you may have a 15 MB line, but if the site you are on only has a 128K upload speed, the fastest you can hope to get is 128K(not really, but an example)

Now if you do a lot of downloading from a very high speed site-like movies/operating system ISO's, you "may" notice the difference.

Also, if you are download "MANY" different items, having a larger pipe will allow more concurrent download at once.

NO, I don't expect you will notice the same difference between regular dsl and a 8 MB connection.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jon1

512mbps? do you mean 512kbps??

six

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I have a question related to this topic. I ran the test from the site that Beach linked. It showed 1.8 mps download. I called my internet provider and asked if they offered anything faster because cable in my area is at 8 mps. They told me that because my neighborhood is on fiber optic that that was as fast as they could go. How is that possible? I thought that fiber was supposed to be faster than copper line. Not surprisingly tech support had no answers. So I turn to those that are most knowledgeable...you guys.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
from 7mbit to 15mbit? you'll get faster downloads , but chances are for plain web browsing you won't see it. you still have to wait for all the page load requests to get answered by the server. if there are a lot of big images on a page then those might come in faster as well. typically they're small enough that it's more or less instantaneous anyway though.

as far as 1.8mbit being as fast as fiber can go, i call BS. verizon has in-home fiber that does 15mbit. i might say that that's as fast as your "modem" and theirs can modulate the signal, but fiber is about as fast as it gets.

six

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

See thats what I thought. They offer faster speeds but cant offer it to me because my neighborhood is fiber. I have the general ethernet "modem" 10/100 I think. It just doesnt make sense to me. I would go to cable but I have had such a terrible time with them I swore I would never go back.

top topics

join