It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linksys BEFW11S4 hangs like clockwork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Everyday, at 6.30 am. I read on a couple of other forums that this particular model tends to hang, in which one must pull out the power, wait a couple of seconds and plug it back. But not like clockwork. Other people tend to get it at random. So I'm not sure if the fix (which is to downgrade the firmware to version 1.50.14) would work.

Think I should do it anyway? I'm afraid it might aggravate the situation or worse, lock me out completely.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
i will have to check my router model. i know it is a linksys and it hangs too but not everyday....maybe in a weeks time it will hang on me once and i will have to cycle it by taking the power chord out....
i can live with that

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Mine seems to have 'outgrown' it's constant need for un-plugging every few hours, thankfully.

In fact, it's now my ISP that seems to enjoy misbehaving all too often.. :shk:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Okay, I think I've figured it out. On another forum, somebody mentioned that the router has a problem handling certain packets of data (but he didn't expand upon that). So it got me thinking, what sort of data stream could that be that only happens at 6.31-6.32 AM daily?

Then it occurred to me such clockwork precision must mean it came from some sort of scheduled event on my computer. Checking the clock, I noticed that the internet time synchronization setting was scheduled for 6.31 AM daily. I've now turned it off but I'm fairly certain that was the cause.

I'll report back tomorrow if 6.31 AM passed without a glitch.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Judging by the posts on the Linksys help forum, this is a common problem with no real solution. It looks like some users have luck going back to V 1.50.14, and some don't.

Other sites indicate the problem goes back before V 1.45.3, and that its a routing table issue.

After reading all the changes people make with mixed results, I would probably give up and install an alternative 3rd party firmware. Except I can't find one for that model.

This was the best advise I could find about going to that firmware version.

:bnghd:

Best of Luck

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Dude.....

Upgrade!!

Wireless B is like, ancient.

You can get a 802.11G router for pretty cheap, even used off of ebay.

Just a suggestion.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Hey Raso...

How long should I wait until I go to "N"????

Also, will I be able to get adapters for my Laptops?

I really depend on them for work and need the connection... Someone at Circuit City told me that "N" was much faster than "G" and I should upgrade at my home...

What do you think?

Semper

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

I've got an N now, but it's a bit expensive to buy the router ($150). You can also get a PC card or USB adapter for about $70. The speed is much faster. A G connects at 54Mbps, and the N connects at 300.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Excuse my ignorance here, but what about "Hot Spots?"

If I go to the "N", will I still be able to connect at Hot Spots?

Semper

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Yes, wireless N cards are backwards compatible with G and B.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Woohoo!! 6.38 AM and it didn't disconnect. My hunch was right!

Damn, I'm good!

Ras -- It sorta doesn't really matter much if I upgrade or not. It wouldn't change the fact that the maximum speed my ISP (which happens to be a monopoly so there's no other choice) provides is only 4mbit/s.

Besides, I prefer connecting it with the hardline anyway. The wireless is there as a bonus or if I want to use the laptop while sitting on the porcelain throne.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Beachcoma]

top topics

join