It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HOW CAN THIS BE!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
HOW CAN THIS BE!!

www.freedomhouse.org...

The Iraq war has introduced us to the Assyrians, a people whom most Americans probably associate with the Bible and assume must have disappeared millennia ago. Yet there they are, on TV, with one of them, Younadem Kanna, taking a seat on Iraq's new Governing Council. Their precarious history speaks to the perils of the current moment.

Iraq's Assyrians claim direct descent from the original inhabitants of Iraq, who built the tower of Babel and enthusiastically received Jonah's grudging call for repentance at Nineveh. They have names like Sargon, the king described by Isaiah, or Nimrod, the "mighty hunter before the Lord" portrayed in Genesis. They are an ancient ethnic group distinct from the Arabs, who invaded their land in the seventh century.

Were the Assryians not all killed off? Wow, shows what i know. Seems these people have been persecuted and slaughtered to this day.
Personaly never met an Assryian, has anyone here?

Deep

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
well the only way a particular group like the assyrians could have survived would be by being something of "cult". I don't think "cult" is the right word, but what I am trying to say, is that they probably married within their group, and isolated themselves from the cultures of the rest of the word....I guess you can compare them to the tribes of the world like the dogon, aborgines and indians.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Assyrians were such a predominate group during early christianity, only to be killed off by Roman Catholics. I always thought that thier religious sects never survived the bloodshed. Well not in this form, minor isolated groups maybe.

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Little known throughout the world Deep, are the mention of these: (notice the underline emphasis)

"Assyrian community speaks Aramaic, provides a warm welcome to Israelis"
www.jta.org...

"Jesus' language, Aramaic, lives on in Cyprus enclave"
www.azcentral.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Assyrians were one of the first during the first 300 years after Jesus's " Death ". Along side Copalts ( orthodox ), and Roman Catholics ( who at the time were a minor sect ).

If these people do speak Jesus's language, then im sure they also have some evidence about the man himself, or some sort of Scriptual intrigue.

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
No, they're very much alive and kicking (forgive the phrasing, lol)
One of my best friends is Assyrian, and speaks Aramaic, she was born in Iraq.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Also found this to be interesting: the origin of the language of/in the Quran; Syriac-Aramaic:

"HUGOYE: JOURNAL OF SYRIAC STUDIES"
syrcom.cua.edu...

And this possible forgotten tragedy:
"Genocides Against the Assyrian Nation"
www.aina.org...

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   

If these people do speak Jesus's language, then im sure they also have some evidence about the man himself, or some sort of Scriptual intrigue.

there are many writings found from antiquity that are written in the origional language of Aramic...thing is...no matter what evidence they may offer of Christ...the Holy Roman Catholic Empire will not accept it...it is not contained in the canon..therefore it is nothing more than myth...as far as the Christian Church is concerned...

Sad thing is...i think there is a lot that human kind will miss out on unless they ask questions...or look at the broader picture presented in the origional aramic writings.

as for Assyrians...they have always been just like all the other tribal communities in that part of the world...

~oracle

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I highly doubt enough original assyrian DNA is floating around in any Iraqis for them to be considered assyrian. All human DNA on this planet is too mixed for any of us to claim to be descendents of anything - except maybe all the inbreeds.

new topics

top topics

join