It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf prankster possible message source (Strait of Hormuz)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

CAIRO, Egypt - A threatening radio message at the end of a video showing Iranian patrol boats swarming near U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf may have come from a prankster rather than from the Iranian vessels, the Navy Times newspaper has reported.
ADVERTISEMENT

A video and audio of the Jan. 6 incident in the Strait of Hormuz featured a man in accented English saying "I am coming to you. ... You will explode after ... minutes."

Cmdr. Lydia Robertson, spokeswoman for the Fifth Fleet in Bahrain, said the Navy was still trying to determine the source of the transmission but believed it was related to the Iranian actions.

"The Iranian boats were coming close to the ships, making aggressive maneuvers and objects were being dropped into the water," she told The Associated Press.

However, the Navy Times, a weekly newspaper published by the Gannett company, quoted several veteran sailors as speculating the transmission could have come from a radio heckler, widely known among mariners by the ethnically insulting term "the Filipino Monkey."

YahooNews

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If true, it's scary to think that a prankster could spark a conflict that could lead to war. Thank goodness the Navy skipper had such a cool head, he should really be commended.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by curme]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
If the skipper of the U.S. ship had been Captain Will Rogers of the USS Vincennes fame and the year was 1988, we'd be in World War III right now.

Now, I hate to be a conspiracy theorist here, but considering the reckless abandon demonstrated by this "prankster," could it be possible that this person knew what they were doing? Better yet, could they have been following somebody's orders? Its just so amazing that somebody would really be crazy enough to trying to start something without understanding the likely consequence of it.

A part of me believes either elements in the U.S. or Iran or maybe even a third party tried to start a war...

join