It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: McCain's Comment Reckless, Endangers Americans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
www.ronpaul2008.com...

“John McCain’s statement in favor of keeping troops in Iraq for 100 years or longer puts him out of sync with the majority of Americans, who want our troops to come home. Further, his comments recklessly put America at risk as such a statement will likely serve as a recruiting tool for Bin Laden and Al Qaeda, who appeal to radicals and incite violence against Americans by claiming that the US desires to occupy the Middle East indefinitely.

“It is time to act in the true national security interest of the United States and begin withdrawal from Iraq and the rest of the Middle East immediately. Americans will be far safer under a pro-America foreign policy that seeks to end the dangerous idea that the US should be the policeman of the world.

“Further, the financial costs of keeping troops in Iraq for a century would be massive – in addition to the steep price in American lives. If John McCain really wants such a long term presence, he needs to level with the American people and tell them that his policy means we will not be able to fulfill our obligations here at home.”

I have to say I agree with Congressman Paul that making plans to stay in Iraq quasi-permanently is a horrible, arrogant, and devastatingly foolish move. We continually paint targets on our backs while the bulk of our forces and all our attention is focused on Iraq rather than the "true" mission, which was supposed to be finding/jacking up Bin Laden. We leave ourselves vulnerable, all the while stirring the pot and creating new "terrorists" and more foot soldiers for the enemy all the while.

What is happening here? When will we wake up as a nation?

Why would people - the American public - be either so ignorant of or so opposed to a foreign policy that so many soldiers are behind? Our boys didn't sign up to fight for oil pipelines and to set up permanent bases in Iraq. McCain, et al are not considering the opinions of those they, as commander in chief, would sentance to death or dismemberment in Iraq... most who have led or been led know that listening to your people is critical to making good decisions and keeping your troops following you.

I believe the government has used the soldiers merely as pawns in a global chess game, and I think the soldiers are starting to wake up to the fact that there is no righteous reason to be fighting there and they want to come home. Rightly so, I might add.

If Congressman Paul has more support within the military than any other candidate, why do you think it is that the American people largely ignore them?

Is the idiot box actually so pervasive in our lives that lack of mainstream media coverage is enough to pull the wool over our collective eyes and fatally damage Congressman Paul's chances? How can we allow this?!

Say it ain't so!

[edit on 1/14/08 by The Axeman]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
And go back to Dr. Paul's core message :: the wars are economically unsustainable. We're all but bankrupt and we simply cannot afford to continue on this path without major and catastrophic economic consequences. Irrespective of any moral or win/lose arguments. We can't continue to bleed at the rate of $3+ trillion a year. It's impossible.

join