It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Escapism.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
" Religion is the opium of the people " Karl Marx.

Escapism is the Ulitimate religion, with its respected denominations, per sa, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam to name a few.

Why face Lifes problem, when we can go around.

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would not consider Marx as a credible critic on issues of spirituality considering his agenda and own subversiveness.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Nor would I, Marx simply believe that " Relgion " was a drug fed to the poor to keep them from knowing the ulitimate reality whilst those who sold the drugs were the ones in control.

Relgion was was an economic merit, in his eyes nothing more, nothing less.

Coming from the father of Communism.

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   
In that framework I have to agree with him. But I would posit that people take drugs not to feel good but to feel closer to god/creation.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

But I would posit that people take drugs not to feel good but to feel closer to god/creation.

Not me I took them to get stoned.

I agree about religion being the opium of the masses, if we took all the energy we used trying to please our chosen superstition and put it into making the world a better place we wouldnt need heaven it would be here.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
People search out religion and faith to 'feel good.' Believe me it works just as well in the right situation as a narcotic.

There can never be heaven on earth, that is the dreams of the nieve because evil will always have great sway over the affairs of man. Live=evil.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Religion as escapism is another way to look at it. Religion, if practiced properly, allows one to have better morals, therefore, becoming a role model for the rest of society.

I can admit that the most religious people on this planet are not all that rich? Or are they--Dalai Lama, the Pope etc.

As for people taking drugs, I believe they do it because they can't face the reality of their situation.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Religon has been used as a narcotic antitode.

Instead of Killing the diseases, Pharmecutical companys would rather sell drugs to help ease the pain.

Thier are a myriad of reasons for Drug usage, one being the given, Pain. Thier is always the " Escape ", variable.
To leave this world, and float in a density higher than our owns. Though I would not state that " being closer to god/creation " is the prime reason.

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

There can never be heaven on earth,

I agree that things will never be perfect here on earth but for myself I dont believe in a heaven after we die either.

I think your soul moves on but I just dont know where.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I can admit that the most religious people on this planet are not all that rich? Or are they--Dalai Lama, the Pope etc.

The latter is religious, Pope I hardly count as being closer to god than a 2 inch cockroach, though I can be swayed ( regarding the cockroach ).

Doctrines a many teach to " escape " from this life of decay in wealth and ego. Anyone truely religious persons will leave behind the " ego " and bath in " I ".

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Wow, and I thought religion taught to love every soul, atleast the religion God has showed me, but I guess the world have lived the exact opposite, yet they rejected thesame thing you call evil?

It hasnt even crossed anay of your minds that maybee God did reveal his son and created a church for the perfection of mnkind? an maybee their are people who have (real) faith, who know hes watchin every second, and who live by his perfect teachings?

Not even once huh?

This world has no faith.

peace.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Faith doesn't equal truth. Just because you believe in something doesn't mean that it's true. I hate people who think, "I believe in something and anyone who doesn't, is wrong."

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   

wow

Wow, and I thought religion taught to love every soul, atleast the religion God has showed me, but I guess the world have lived the exact opposite, yet they rejected thesame thing you call evil?

It hasnt even crossed anay of your minds that maybee God did reveal his son and created a church for the perfection of mnkind? an maybee their are people who have (real) faith, who know hes watchin every second, and who live by his perfect teachings?

Not even once huh?

This world has no faith.

My not having Faith in Jesus, does not equate to no " Faith " at all. I have faith, but it lays in a personal cave within my soul.

Deep

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
i agree...

but what about digital escapism?
or attachments altogether?

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:23 AM
link   

People search out religion and faith to 'feel good.' Believe me it works just as well in the right situation as a narcotic.

There can never be heaven on earth, that is the dreams of the nieve because evil will always have great sway over the affairs of man. Live=evil.

There can never be Heaven on Earth because too many people believe there never can be.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Escape from what, anyway?

From reality?

Aren't drugs, religion, Tv and all the rest, a part of reality? How does one escape reality by focusing on certain parts of it? Are we not free to spend our energy and focus in any direction we see fit?

And anyway,
Who says we have to solve problems and confront negative feelings?

Plus:

By focusing on our own little places in the world, our life, our job, our friends, aren't we all just escaping the reality that right now there is someone sleeping on a cold street with no food or warm clothes; that a mother somewhere is mourning her stillborn child; that someone's just been stabbed; someone's just been raped; someone's father just died; etc. ??

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
"" my faith exist with my own soul ""

sorry for missed qoute.

But what is your faith? who created you? who will justify the evil you hate? How can you have faith within yourself when you don't even know what yourself believes?

" just because yu believe in soething doesn't mean its true "

exactly, you believe im wrong, but are you correct?

You hae no clue why I believe or why I have faith. Only if you seen my whole life you would know why I believe. I did not reveal Jesus to myself, but he did to me. And ill never deny it.

zero deep, Myy religion teaches me, God teaches me that this life is just a proving ground for eternity, nothing you will carry into the next world, not money, not fame, not hate. And from the miracles ive seen of him and the sufferings hes given me, ill be happy to death to suffer here for a small while to one day be with him for ever. the only thing I want to escape is this worlds sin.

peace.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   

But what is your faith? who created you? who will justify the evil you hate? How can you have faith within yourself when you don't even know what yourself believes?

" just because yu believe in soething doesn't mean its true "

exactly, you believe im wrong, but are you correct?

You hae no clue why I believe or why I have faith. Only if you seen my whole life you would know why I believe. I did not reveal Jesus to myself, but he did to me. And ill never deny it.

zero deep, Myy religion teaches me, God teaches me that this life is just a proving ground for eternity, nothing you will carry into the next world, not money, not fame, not hate. And from the miracles ive seen of him and the sufferings hes given me, ill be happy to death to suffer here for a small while to one day be with him for ever. the only thing I want to escape is this worlds sin.

For one, I dont believe that you are wrong in your " Faith " nor have I stated this absurd remark.

I have faith in myself, For I believe in my " self ". I believe that God is found only within ones self, which is a personal journey in life only " I " can make.
In its absolute form " God " is simply ' Pure Consciousness ", in accordance to my personal Bias.

Deep

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:35 AM
link   
The response was to the other guy.

So who created you and the world zero? did yourself do it?

peace.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   

So who created you and the world zero? did yourself do it?

Of course this could turn into a full fledged debate over Evolution and Creation, then the odd " Seeded by Aliens ".

God does not logically equate to " God ". But the God essence can easily be pardoned as misinterpretation of
" Pure Consiousness " or a state where one can achieve " Christ Consciousness " ( easy for you ).

Deep

top topics

<<   2 >>

join