It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ownership of Meteorites

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Roswell wreckage, aliens who slammed into the ground having fallen from the orbit of the sun, actual meteorites...

Who owns it?

Who Owns This Meteorite?

In the United States, ownership of a meteorite goes to the landowner. A person who owns land is entitled to all natural deposits which occur there - including a meteorite. If the meteorite falls on government property then it belongs to the government.

In Australia, most states have legislation that makes meteorites the property of the state museum and anyone who finds a meteorite in Australia should deliver it to the state museum who will reimburse the finder for his/her expenses.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I was not aware that there was a big problem as there are not many & thus it shouldn't be an issue. After all most would never know they had anything on their property unless someone finds one and tells them. I would have no problem asking for permission from say a railroad or logging company to search on their land with the understanding that we would share the proceeds from the found object.

I guess if/when I decide to sell the ones I've found I'll just have to not remember where I found them. I was hoping to post the GPS coordinates to give them a better history, but thanks for posting this so I don't get some huge offer only to have some government crony come to my door and attempt to rob me for my hard work.

All I can say at this point is finders keepers - losers weepers. I took the time to find them & I'll take the pay for my time.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Absolutely. But as far as real or putative UFOs or pieces of UFOs... Makes for interesting reading. Any artefacts landing on your property are yours, in the USA, but if they alight on someone else's land... Hm.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Yeah, that's kind of a funny thing about people who work as our servants whom we call government. Anytime they find some loophole in the way that we the people might just make an extra buck or two off they come up with a way to tax or take away those proceeds for themselves as if somehow it belongs more to them than us even though we the people are supposed to be governing ourselves, somehow they find a way to separate themselves from us whenever there is an advantage for them to do so.

They set themselves up like they are god & we get taxed for each fish god sent up the river or just for looking for fish by dropping a line in & each log god made even if on our own property. Now they want to tell us they own a rock that god threw at us, even though they would not know of it's existence unless we tell them.

I suppose pieces of an actual UFO could be confiscated as a threat of national security or some such thing. Which is why it would be in your best interest to keep quiet if you want to reap any proceeds from back engineering it etc.

Their greed compels them to make laws that regard us as criminals if we don't give them full control & credit for our significant discovery's that may effect our world. They take the object deny it's existance. While at the same time they use those secrecy laws in order to cover their crime of not sharing the discovery with the people they represent, but instead they share those discovery's with corporations (their partners in crime).

I suggest that if they are not criminals or involved in criminal activity then there should be no secrecy or nothing to hide. Why would they be compelled to hide if there not lies a crime? If we are a government of the people and by the people then shouldn't all the people be together in such knowledge? Otherwise I suggest most of the people are being deceived by a few of the non-people who hide behind some of the people.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]

apc

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
UFO crashes are not natural deposits. Your citation doesn't apply. They are still the property of whoever owns the craft, be it the Air Force, Russians, or Reptoids. Although like any other aircraft, if it gets shot down it's a trophy. But yes, national security trumps salvage rights.

Meteorites however are and should be treated like any other rock. That's pretty intrusive for the Aus government to require citizens surrender any they find. Not surprising, but retarded.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I remember, when I was in school doing year 12 legal studies, You only own a cirtain distance of land and a cirtain height above your land, every thing below the cirtain distance. eg 1 meter. Is owned by the govment. so technically it's the Govments land. But saying that. if a meteor was to land in your backyard. you would expect a govment official to come out and expect it. "as they do" and if its just a rock with nothing special about it. ofcourse they'll let you have it. and if so, a museum curator may show interest and thats who im guessing will buy the meteor from you. as for a ufo crash? there is no way in hell the govment will let you have it, be it your land or not. what they will say to obtain it from you, most likely sound something like this.

"Sir. becareful. a meteor just landed on your property. we are here to clean it up. as for the metallic look to it. the reason is it was super heated entering the atmosphere and it caused the rock to form a metal. but its now radioactive and for your safety has to be removed to prevent injury".

and if after that maybe if you cause a fuss, they will try to give you some sort of settlement for "damages" done to your land...

thats just my opinion, i could be wrong as we all could be.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Makes me wonder what the law says in Finland. I'll have to google this. If anyone knows the answer please tell me.

[edit on 18/1/2008 by PsykoOps]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
slightly off topic but this makes me laugh, we are in the middle of a severe drought here and our state government is considering taxing(and by default) having ownership of rainwater that is collected on personal property, No kidding!!

so i would imagine that any govt at any time if they thought it worthwhile could simply change the law to suit themselves and transfer ownership to the govt.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I emailed an expert about the situation in Finland. It turns out that there is no specific law in place, but the common sensus is that meteors belong to the government. As there is no law this matter isn't sure untill someone goes to court with the matter.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
UFO crashes are not natural deposits.

They don't have to be "natural deposits". Most countries only have the vaguest of common law or civilian law definitions of what a "meteorite" actually is.

join