It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PM backs automatic organ donation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   

video
www.bbc.co.uk...

Gordon Brown says he wants a national debate on whether to change the system of organ donation.
He believes thousands of lives would be saved if everyone was automatically placed on the donor register.

It would mean that, unless people opted out of the register or family members objected, hospitals would be allowed to use their organs for transplants.

But some critics say the state should not automatically decide what happens to people's bodies after they die.

news.bbc.co.uk...

I dont care how Bad the situation is
the goverment has no right to automaticaly put people on Donar lists.
this idea is the biggest BS that brown has come up with,
and yes i know its done wounders in Spain.

if this does go through i will be on the phone to opt out ASAP

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Gee what is with politicians ?
There cure for problems is quiet often worse then the disease !
It is shown on my drivers license that I am an organ donor but in the event that I am killed my Mum still has to give her permission before any of my organs can be donated . Clearly the fix here is to ensure that my Mum permission isnt required.

Well that is how things stand in this part of the world.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   

if this does go through i will be on the phone to opt out ASAP

May I ask why?

I personally agree with people giving their organs upon their deaths, when a person dies under whatever conditions the removed organs will result in the saving of a life if not lives. I'm unsure of what to make of the announcement, the principal is good however ethically its a tricky one.

Do I object to having something of mine that I no longer need taken from me in order to say the lives of people I've never met? Of course I don't object, I'll have no further use for my internal squishy bits so those in need of them are more than welcome to them.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
i dont see the big fuss...who cares you're dead!

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBadge
i dont see the big fuss...who cares you're dead!

I would hope someone cares that I'm dead!

No just kidding, I know what you mean and I agree with you totally, although my hearts been stamped on a few times and due to that my liver and kidneys have taken quite a battering. A few parts of me have been where no man has been before, although I suspect a few may have followed!!

But all that said, if my bits can help someone else have even one year more with their loved ones then from beyond the grave I would be screaming "Let um have it!"

MonKey

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Clearly the fix here is to ensure that my Mum permission isnt required.

Well that is how things stand in this part of the world.

Under the proposal (for that's what it is at the moment) both the patient and his/her family would have a veto over organ donation. So if either the patient or the family refused permission, the hospital would not be allowed to take the organs.

[edit on 14/1/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by UK Wizard

its my personal belief
i dont care about others who want to donate their Orgons
but the idea that i will and others will automaticaly put on a system is pathetic, those who want to donate have the option of saying yes many times

i dont see why in the end i should have to opt out of something i dont want to go through with in the first place

Drivers licence and so on.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I don't understand the slefish indignation of some people on this board about this topic. Some have gone as far as to accuse the UK of being a Nanny/Police state.

My own brother was saved by a kidney transplant, even then, he had to wait 5 years for a suitable donor!

Seeing as both the donor and the family have an opt out, this is hardly either a Nanny state solution or helping themselves to whatever they like. All this does is make the millions of people that would otherwise be willing, but too lazy, to put themselves on the list actually automatically be on it.

Don't want too, for whatever contrived, selfish reason?

Fine.

Just don't come begging for an organ when you need one.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

may i ask why its your business why someone doesnt want to be placed on this system?

what gives you the moral ground to call others selfish because they wont allow body parts from them used after death,

as i said before, if people are so keen on being donners they get plenty of chances to say yes.
the whole being placed on the start is pathetic

you call it selfish and honestly i dont take a rats ****
you have no moral ground to judge others.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I think I've got every right to judge someone when they won't donate organs , that they won't EVER need again, after death to help another human being live.

I suppose your anti-donation then? If you needed a transplant in the future, I assume you would refuse it, yes? To say otherwise would just prove you as a selfish hypocrite.

[edit on 15/1/08 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

no im not anti donation,
its ones Individual rights to do as they please.
if they want to donate their organs they are free to, if they want to be burried intact or burned its their choice.

anyone that wants to judge others because they dont see things their way can just fudge off.

and to be honest i dont care what you think about me, since i wont be donating my organs

edit to please stuntsman

[edit on 15-1-2008 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

So, you would refuse a donation then? One that could save your life, you;d refuse it, would you?

Answer the question, Bodrul.

No one who is against this so far on ATS has answered the question. You wouldn't give your own organs, so, what will it be?

EDIT: Censor circumvention is against T&C's, matey....

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

when the time comes, i will answer you question and i have death at the door waiting for me. no one likes talking about death.

also answer me this what gives you the right to make someone to donnate their organs, as most your reply you sound like that as you would prob start shouting how evil they are for not donnating before they die,

also fudge isnt a swaer word

edit to please stuntsman

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

It's a simple question, Bodrul, stop dodging it. You only won't answer it as it would expose your hypocrisy.

Would you, or would you not, accept an organ donation?

None of this "Well, we'll see when the time comes...no-one likes death"...

If you feel so strongly about not giving your own organs to help others, then it can be reasonably assumed you wouldn't take any?

Unless your a selfish, hypocritical individual.

EDIT: Censor circumvention it is though. Don't be such an arse.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

and how about you answer why its your buiness why someone should or shouldnt donate their organ, dont be a arse about it

edit: i already said i dont know, and will only know when my life is about to end

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

If you ever needed a transplant, you wouldn't be litterally about to die the next minute.

But, you answer says it all.

You'd be willing to consider having a transplant to save your own skin, but you have clearly stated that you wouldn't give up your organs after death to help another.

So, your a selfish hypocrite.

That is my point and why I have got so worked up about it, aside from some very unsavory comments from others about transplant patients being Frankensteins and cannibals.

People are soooo willing to take, take, take. But God forbid they should ever do something themselves....

You know you wouldn't turn down a kidney transplant if it would save your life, yet you clearly won't offer your own organs after death to help others.

And there I was thinking Islam was about charity....

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

again some moron brings in Islam,
sometimes its better being on a forum without expressing ones faith so it cant always be brought up when its used against the poster.

i said i wouldnt know untill i am about to die if i will accept or not so dont make conclusions from nothing

you still havent answerd

also answer me this what gives you the right to make someone to donnate their organs, as most your reply you sound like that as you would prob start shouting how evil they are for not donnating before they die,

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
again some moron brings in Islam,
sometimes its better being on a forum without expressing ones faith so it cant always be brought up when its used against the poster.

Moron? Take care, Bodrul. Insults aren't welcome here. As I understand it (and I understand it pretty well) one of the five pillars of Islam is Charity.

Besides, how many times have we "fought" side by side against the arrogance and stupidity of those who want to blow up Mecca and nuke Tehran? You know my stance, so don't try and paint me as some Islamophobic idiot.

Originally posted by bodrul
i said i wouldnt know untill i am about to die if i will accept or not so dont make conclusions from nothing

Utter rubbish. Your just dodging the question so you don't come across like a selfish fool.

If you have such a strong stance against giving organs, why are you wishy washy about receiving them? I would have thought the two things would go hand in hand, unless your a hypocrite.

You still havent answerd

I probably would shout at them! I cannot understand why people are so bloody selfish about squishy bits after they have died!! What the hell do YOU need them for?

What gives me the right? Freedom of speech, chap. Suck it up.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

You aren't being forced to give your organs up at death, you can very easily opt out or a member of your family can opt you out.

All you are being asked to do is tick a box to say "No, I want to keep my organs", rather than tick a box to say "Yes, I want to save lives by donating my organs".

If the issue means so much to you surely you can be bothered to opt out?

mod note: I know this is a heated issue but lets keep it civil folks

[edit on 15-1-2008 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

1. i said moron because people always bring (most people) in faith when they see my view.

2, believe what you want.

i wont say anymore as i have said my part

top topics

<<   2 >>

join