It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard Ware help! (Dvd or CD Rom Install)

page: 1

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:34 PM
Hello all,

I just learned of this topic on BTS and I am having a PC issue you folks may be able to help me out with. I have a Dell Dimension 4400, Pent. 4 1.69 processor 512 mb ddram 128 AVI Catalyst Video Card, 160GB Seagate Hard drive which I bought about 7 years ago. I have been upgrading it and keeping it functional, and have yet to have any issues installing new components, until last month.

I recently recieved another Dell (not sure on the details) that had a DVD rom in it. so I pulled it out and installed it into my second bay (below my original CD rom drive). After booting up I had no DVD rom and had lost my CD rom. I have the drivers for both downloaded, but my PC locks up on install. Soooo

1st) is there a way to get my DVD and CD rom to work again?

2nd) is my Processor to slow to handle what a DVD rom needs?

3rd) why won't my CD-rom show back up with the DVD rom disconnected?

I am sooooo at a loss at this point and ANY advice would be much appreciated! I know a little about PC's but I've never been trained or anything like that.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 09:23 PM
Off the top of my head I'd start with the physical properties.

For example, Make sure they are jumpered correctly.
Doublecheck the cable connectors. Some are marked specificly for master/slave/mobo.
Reseat the ribbon cables on the cd/dvd's, and the motherboard, even if they look ok.
Reseat the power connectors.

Do this first, to eliminate a hardware problem. Then move on to troubleshoot bios settings/OS/drivers after that is eliminated.

Let us know how it goes.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 11:47 PM
reply to post by makeitso

You lead me on the right path!!!!

Jumpers were fine... I needed to unplug the IDE wire from the motherboard. I had a connection on the very end that was bent and wasn't connected. a little delicate bend later it all showed back up in my BIOS, and I'm currently watching a DVD on my computer for the first time. (wow... that makes me feel much older than 25)

Thanks so much!

[edit on 1/14/2008 by coven]

new topics