It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could've the Mayan or any other ancient South American civilization have had contact with Atlantis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I've wondered if any ancient civilizations of South America could've had contact with Atlantis if it's real???

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
well....some people actually think South America was Atlantis.

i tend to lean towards Atlantis being off the coast of Santorini...and I don't believe they were in contact.

www.geocities.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Mayans were in the Yucatan..Central America.
The most well known South American indians were the Incas.
But there were others

Caribs, Chibcha, and others. There are still many that live in the Amazon The Macuxi and others.
I have some Chibcha burial whistles (to play when they arrived on the other side)

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
My belief is that nearly all acient civilisations had some sort of contact with an ancient civlisaton lost to us now... generally we know it as 'atlantis' but whether it sunk or not is another thing...

i think it is hidden under the antactic ice sheets personally

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
If nobody had contact with Atlantis, then we'd never have known its size or location. It could just be crdited to another mythical land, like Eden.

Atlantis, to me, is right where it is said to be... in the Atlantic. The Incans (or Mayans) point to the east to give the location of Atla, Europeans point to the west. Even if you were to use Plato's description, it places it in the Atlantic. AND, the inhabitants of the Canary Islands, who live high in the mountians, since the day their lands were washed away by the oceans.

People are always brushing off Plato's account. Why? It even gives a clear warning that Atlantis is not the nest continent (Americas).

And even though I have posted several threads concerning Antarctica, I really cannot believe that Atlantis would be found there. A different society or civilization, yes, but not Atlantis.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
I've wondered if any ancient civilizations of South America could've had contact with Atlantis if it's real???
[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Seekerof]

No.

Most of them (the Diku and so forth) were quite primitive. They were expert goldsmiths but the materials weren't there and they didn't have the trade routes or technology to do intricate navigation. The civilizations that built the massive stone structures existed during historical times (1500 BC onward) and there's no record of Atlantis being around anywhere in 1500 BC.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
No.

Most of them (the Diku and so forth) were quite primitive. They were expert goldsmiths but the materials weren't there and they didn't have the trade routes or technology to do intricate navigation. The civilizations that built the massive stone structures existed during historical times (1500 BC onward) and there's no record of Atlantis being around anywhere in 1500 BC.

I'm sorry...WHO are the Diku and where in S America did they live? Or are you referring to someone else?
The Incas built one of the most elaborate "highways" of it's time.

The only Diku I found were mostly RPG's
www.google.com...

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by NetStorm]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Diku are one of the stone age tribes of Central and South America. PreColumbian (meaning "before the time of Christopher Columbus") tribes that had some good technology with gold and jade but lived a more nomadic lifestyle (I researched them when I was in Costa Rica.)

The Incans built some impressive things, but they are still tribes that existed within historical times. If they'd had contact with ANY civilizations on the other side of the Atlantic, you'd see quite a lot of documentation about it. There's a lot of scrolls/tablets/etc that list the tribute and trading between the nations of that time. We know that Egypt did trade with Nubia and other parts of Africa.

There's no record of trades with South America... and believe me, the voyage would have been notable. Grab yourself an ocean navigation map and realize that the ships of those days had to navigate by ocean current and wind.

They'd have had to catch the South Atlantic Current to get to South America and then take the Brazil Current back:
www.physicalgeography.net...

You can find diagrams of these and other currents used for navigation (in fact, these are major shipping lanes today) in most encyclopedias.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   

There's no record of trades with South America... and believe me, the voyage would have been notable. Grab yourself an ocean navigation map and realize that the ships of those days had to navigate by ocean current and wind.

They'd have had to catch the South Atlantic Current to get to South America and then take the Brazil Current back:

So these guys were faking us out?

www.museumsnett.no...

"The balsa wood raft Kon-Tiki was built as a copy of a prehistoric South American vessel. Constructed of nine balsa logs collected from Equador, a crew of six men sailed the raft from Callao in Peru the 28th of April 1947 and landed on the island of Raroia in Polynesia after 101 days. This successful voyage of c.4300 miles proved that the islands in Polynesia were within the range of this type of prehistoric South American vessel. A documentary of the voyage won an Oscar in 1951 and the book about the expedition has been translated into no fewer than 66 languages."

As for documentation,
"If they'd had contact with ANY civilizations on the other side of the Atlantic, you'd see quite a lot of documentation "

The incas had no written language..so there would be nothing left behind for anyone to document

lsa.colorado.edu...

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If fabled Atlantis was half as advanced as rumoured then they would have had definite contact with all other peoples of the world. Remember these are people that were supposed to have had 'unlimited energy' at their disposal.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
So these guys were faking us out?

www.museumsnett.no...

a crew of six men sailed the raft from Callao in Peru the 28th of April 1947 and landed on the island of Raroia in Polynesia after 101 days.

They proved it was possible to get from South America to Hawaii. Not Africa to South America. Their efforts to do an Africa-to-South-America using the ships of the Egyptian empire failed mid-Atlantic.

As for documentation,
"If they'd had contact with ANY civilizations on the other side of the Atlantic, you'd see quite a lot of documentation "

The incas had no written language..so there would be nothing left behind for anyone to document

Correct. However, as I was trying to point out, the civilizations on the OTHER end (Egypt, Rome, Phoenecia, etc) did leave written records of who they traded with and what they traded. Those are the ones with the extensive records and there is no documentation that they traded with Atlantis *or* with South America.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
If fabled Atlantis was half as advanced as rumoured then they would have had definite contact with all other peoples of the world. Remember these are people that were supposed to have had 'unlimited energy' at their disposal.

Right. And that's the OTHER bit of evidence that is missing: In that sort of trade they bring in goods and animals from other countries. Tobacco was one of the most valuable crops, as was corn and a number of other crops (and then there's cattle and horses.)

If there'd been trade, we'd have seen global evidence of it in the form of things that were never there before suddenly showing up. There were no bones of modern cattle found in the South America until after the Spanish brought cattle over during the time of the Conquests.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   

They proved it was possible to get from South America to Hawaii. Not Africa to South America. Their efforts to do an Africa-to-South-America using the ships of the Egyptian empire failed mid-Atlantic.
[

The journey did not fail

"Ten months later four Aymara Indians from Bolivia, who still mastered the traditional art of building reed boats, built Ra II. This boat went on to complete a successful transatlantic crossing, covering the 4000 miles to Barbados in just 57 days. The voyages with Ra I and II proved that it had been possible with transatlantic contacts between the old civilisations and the Americas."

I'm not saying that there was contact between "atlantis" and africa. I am stating that the journey was possible, and was done.

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

But just what is "unlimited energy"?

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

If there'd been trade, we'd have seen global evidence of it in the form of things that were never there before suddenly showing up. There were no bones of modern cattle found in the South America until after the Spanish brought cattle over during the time of the Conquests.

European cotton was found in South America, already growing and in abundance when the Spaniards arrived. Experts still don't knoe how the cotton seeds could have survived being in salt water for such an extended journey of drifting in currents.

The South American civilizations, to me, is an example of a declining civilization; to prime examples would be the cities of Teotihuancan and Tiahuanaco, "cities built by gods" long before the Incas came into being.

And, true, there were no horses in these parts... yet they had an extensive highway system. They had no idea or concept of the wheel, yet they had toys which rolled on wheels (and some toys with simple gears)...

I could honestly see thhose two mentioned cities as having been an outpost or advance colony from Atlantis (or Antarctica), but when the homeland was destroyed/ contact broken off... the people fell into decline. Once again, examples of declining technology can be found in both South America and Egypt, where newer pyramids are built on a lesser degree of skill and stability.

And as far as people from Africa being unable to travel to South America... I believe it was the nation of the Olmecs who had created stone figures with negroed features.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
And as far as people from Africa being unable to travel to South America... I believe it was the nation of the Olmecs who had created stone figures with negroed features.

This site, www.webcolombia.com...
some info on San Agustin, which is in Colombia.
Statues look familiar? These tribes , Sin�, Uraba, Tairona, Muisca. did some of the most awesome goldwork I have ever seen.
www.webcolombia.com...
I visitied the Gold Museum once and one of the pieces that has always raised questions is the little gold "plane"

It's unfortunate that they had no written language, or we would know what it really was supposed to represent.

posted on Feb, 13 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
However the modern mind may exult in the discoveries and inventions of the present age, it must concede that little has been added to the civilization of the past, while much has certainly been lost. The men sometimes called primitive were not savages. The oldest written characters of which we have the key prove themselves not only richest in power of expression, but reveal startling facts connected with prehistoric society. In massive architecture, in naval structures, in tremendous mechanical appliances, in agriculture and peaceful commerce, and in the domestication of the lower animals, no less than in language as a vehicle for thought, the nations of antiquity attained a marvellous perfection. It would seem that almost as many arts have been lost as have been preserved.
Who now can manufacture transparent gold, malleable glass, and quenchless lamps; construct garden ships, and self-directing magnetic chariots, build hanging gardens, or elevated viaducts and aqueducts of Cyclopean proportion, such as are found in the ruins of Central and South America? A recent explorer remarks: "The Incas tempered copper to an edge keen as steel; they cut jewels with an art that modern lapidaries cannot imitate; their colors are as lasting as their architecture; under their political economy millions of people lived as one family."
Who now will hew temples and cities of night under the rocky ribs of mountains? What modern chisel can restore the flinty statues of Elephanta, Ellora, and Ajunta, whose sculptors "built like giants and finished like jewellers?" Where is the artist can carve and color marble to rival living flesh and finish statues whose diamond eyes seem to follow the beholder? Where is the scholar who can write a page of history with one dash of the pen?
Were not the metaphysics and cosmogonies of Hindu philosophers more profound and far-reaching than our own? Where are our astronomical and geological calculations that stretch backward and forward through a kalpa, a period of time expressed by a unit and sixty cyphers? In the ancient esoteric doctrine is contained all that mere man can know of the origin of the universe, the laws of force, and the mystery of human existence. The Gommerean mind may be more clear and methodical in detail, but the root-thought will ever be found with the Hindu mystic dreamer.
Did not the priests of Egypt use the telephone and audiphone, or their equivalent, and penetrate the mysteries of magnetism as moderns have never done?
What monarch now will yoke the lion to his car, or tame the savage ounce, or use a serpent for a walking-stick? And what theatrical transformation scene at the present day equals the celebration of the Egyptian and Greek mysteries?
It may be asked, What was the source of this perfected civilization? There is much evidence to prove that the impress was from the West to the East, from America to Asia; that the grand canals of Atlantis, no longer a fabled island, were the gateways through which issued the arts, sciences, and whatever else contributes to that material prosperity which is at once the blessing, or the bane, of national existence.
The author of the following story has been for many years collecting materials for a study of this wonderful country, the Merope of Theopompus, called by the Greeks The Garden of the Hesperides, and by the Argonauts the Island of Flowers; and has, under the guise of fiction, endeavored to embody an idea of its stupendous civilization, also to describe the awful cataclysm by which, according to Hindu geology, it was destroyed, eleven thousand four hundred years ago.

A. E. S.
ST. ALBANS, VT., 1885

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Right. And that's the OTHER bit of evidence that is missing: In that sort of trade they bring in goods and animals from other countries. Tobacco was one of the most valuable crops, as was corn and a number of other crops (and then there's cattle and horses.)

valid points, but we are making assumptions here about their lifestyles right? also we are assuming when they existed and making guesses about the passing of their society which may not confirm our system of exploration at present. Furthermore, it is believed by some that are into this idea that other advanced races/tribes/peoples existed alongside the Atlanteans, thus there was not a homogenous world wide culture of any kind.

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Helike - The Real Atlantis

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 14 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

But just what is "unlimited energy"?

Unlimited energy is as the words describe, an excess of energy beyond ability to use it. Literally the taping of universal energy which is beyond comprehension.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join