It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinions on Clairvoyants...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have always been skeptical about clairvoyants and have thought that you have to be somewhat suggestible for them to be 'good'. My mother has often visited clairvoyants and she says that almost everything they have said about their past was correct and predictions for her future have come true.

Her most recent visit last May was recorded on cassette and I listened to it. There were some reerences to me and my future in there and the weird thing is.. what she said has been absolutely true.. to the month. Also the things she said about my mothers past and her future were also very accurate. Like I say, I am skeptical and have tried to put it down to suggestibility and coincidence, clever tactics from the clairvoyant to say things that could be true to anybody. However, I am not fully convincing myself.

I would just like to hear of your clairvoyant experiences and what you think about them. I may go to see one in the near future just to get a better insight and see if I can totally throw her by giving nothing away. I just don't like paying £20-£30 for something I don't quite believe...

50/50

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

To keep it very short: there is no doubt in my mind (also highly skeptical - and educated, even if I say so myself) that clairvoyance DOES exist.

Not only did my own mother have an experience (unwanted, and she didn't have to pay one dime for it) with a clairvoyant that turned out to be impossibly accurate (she predicted very peculiar details that absolutely could not be extrapolated, and events that happened YEARS later); most people in my own family, including myself, have had clear evidence of being able to "see into the future".

It is also doubtless that most of the "clairvoyants" currently in circulation are quacks, profiting (handsomely!) from the Zeitgeist. ; )

[edit on 13-1-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I do believe there are those who really are clairvoyant. Then again i believe in God and believe what i have learned/studied from Scriptures.

I have gone through loads of Scriptures not incl The Bible and all of them states that there are such people who have the talent. The problem on most of these people are that they see themselves as "stronger" or abuse/misuse this talent.

I have had numerous Christians who argue these things do not exist even though the one Book we read is full of such accounts. Now on the other hand if i would go see a person like that it is Yes and No. As a believer in The Trinity i have seen two people who so have prophecy'd for me but according to our belief in God.

The mind is as we know an immense force and that what we believe with our whole heart will come true,so if a clairvoyant who will tell me about my love life and how many heartaches i will face and i put my mind to this it could very well happen. Law Of Attraction as "The Secret" explains (though The Bible have told us this secret all along
) ..that is true.

I know of people who went to see "witch doctors/fortune tellers/mediums" and stand true to fortune ,though i have had a few laughs i cannot judge,their ways and beliefs are theirs. As superstition,we laugh it off,some live by it.

If you are not a Bible reader try to read some books of The Apocrypha (Tobit/Solomon) ,Dead Sea Scrolls (Enoch) are books who get down to such points.

I do not doubt it in any way. I do believe there is a correct and wrong way when/how to use it.

Cheers.

*As Moses ,Pharaoh's magicians did all the "tricks" Moses did..*

[edit on 1/13/2008 by qonone]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I believe if anyone makes money from clairvoyance they should have to prove there abilitites to be granted a license. I'll be truthful psychics disgust me if there ability was real they should have zero problems in proving them, at the moment we have nothing but con artists leeching money and preying on the emotions of people who are often grieving. people may say it comforts people but you should not have to pay to be lied too.

i seen a clairvoyant (who is very highly regarded) once and this is an example of what she said to me "you drive dont you" i said "no" she said " well you will do", you cant argue with that can you. every single thing she said could of applied to anyone, we all think we are creative with a good sense of humor, sensitive but strong, its nonsense and if there is a possibility it is true then acquiring a license wont be a problem

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I used to be amazed by popular psychics such as Sylvia Brown and John Edwards, but I am more skeptical nowadays about these"superstars". There are a lot of debunking articals and TV shows that reveal the tricks of this trade, and I wouldn't subject myself and my hopes and beliefs to any of them now. To be honest- I have no reason to consult one.

I have watched the series "Psychic Detectives", and I have seen some pretty amazing work on there. These are people who have not become part of the talkshow circuit and Oprah's Book Club. They have genuinely helped do real good. In some cases they found missing people alive, and had they not been involved the outcome would have been tragic. Even when they are used to recover a murder victim they have served the public to bring in a murderer. In one show an innocent man was cleared because the deaths were accidental. These folks are public servants and are the ones who keep my belief alive.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by qonone

Good point, Quonone.
After all, Joseph (in the OT) was clearly something of a "clairvoyant".
And that's just one example.

Not all "clairvoyant" people consider themselves "stronger" or "better" than others; but I would agree that the temptation is there - and that very many people succumb... (Then again, the best of the best do know better. ; ))

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

I honestly cannot understand how Sylvia Browne can live with herself...
I am actually sorry for her.
Until I remember how many people in pain she had deprived of money AND hope...

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by R-evolve
I believe if anyone makes money from clairvoyance they should have to prove there abilitites to be granted a license.

Hear hear!
And it isn't necessarily un-doable.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Since you seem to believe that his one might be genuine than maybe you just need to ask the right questions like certain world disasters and where should you live and do to be safe and when etc. Some mention 2012 and WW3, the anti-christ if an actual person and the current trends in the economy related to work etc.

I believe that there are varying degrees of psychics out there, but there are probably those who also give wrong answers due to an unreliable source or even alternate reality. In the movie Premonition, it was actually her retarted psychic ability that resulted in the death she saw.

Kinda like the Movie Wishmaster. Just because most answers are true, doesn't mean the most important are. Ask for the truth to be revealed to you, and you get the truth and lies together and it's left up to you to seperate them like tangled Christmas lights.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I think they have SOMETHING,but what that is i'm not sure.it all could be alot of fake rubbish but IMO there are more genuine chairvoyants than fakes.
Do some of them tell us what we WANT to hear or do they really know??

[edit on 13-1-2008 by rhynouk]

[edit on 13-1-2008 by rhynouk]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

I honestly cannot understand how Sylvia Browne can live with herself...
I am actually sorry for her.
Until I remember how many people in pain she had deprived of money AND hope...

I hadnt heard all of that about her- You know Montel just eats her up! Her commercialization hurts her reputation, I am sure. I am going to look into it. I just dont think that digging up someones loved ones is a positive thing. Some would argue about "closure" but it doesnt excuse all the frauds charging $100 a pop to tell someone thier dearly departed are at peace.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

but it doesnt excuse all the frauds charging $100 a pop to tell someone thier dearly departed are at peace.

They should be so lucky!
Do you know what the current (well, early 2007) rate for Sylvia Browne's services is?

Brace yourself...

700.- US dollars per consultation.

Her son, apparently, charges half that amount - presumably because he is half as good?

(I know the figures because I am in the media.)

EDIT: I found this article about her. It's great fun to read, quite hilarious at times - well, except for the pain f those involved...

On a cruise with Sylvia Brown

Here's an excerpt that I find hysterical:

"Will you tell me exactly the time and place my father died?" the next woman asks.

"Ten years ago in Iowa," Sylvia says.

"Iowa?" says the woman, surprised.

"I'm the psychic," Sylvia snaps. "I'm telling you. Iowa."

[edit on 13-1-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I looked about on the web after reading your forst response, Vanitas, and I was not surprised to find some interesting things. There is a site called stopsylviabrowne.com (lol). There is a lot of bad stuff with that lady.

I still think there are real clairvoyants who use their God-given gifts for good things. We aren't hearing about them because they are humble people. I can't imagine clairvoyance to be something you can just turn on and off like tap water (I could be wrong). I have always wondered how it looks/feels to see clairvoyantly.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I am glad you found it. The article was from there (I think.)
(And BTW... have you noticed that the "fee" has even increased in the meantime?)

As I said in my original reply (and all over this place
), I have absolutely no doubts about clairvoyance. Of course it exists - and it's not even in the "top 10" of the most astonishing "gifts"!

But Sylvia and the likes of her... if there IS a Judgment Day, I wouldn't want to be in her shoes when it comes.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I can't imagine clairvoyance to be something you can just turn on and off like tap water (I could be wrong). I have always wondered how it looks/feels to see clairvoyantly.

It's a good question.
In fact, the name "clairvoyance" is a generalisation: some people really do SEE images (either with the help of cards, crystal balls, molten lead in water... whatever, or without any props), while others HEAR things instead (clairaudience, but this term is rarely used). Or both.

On every occasion that a clear premonition or information "from afar" slipped into my mind, it was a single image or scene that just came out of nowhere while looking at a certain place/person or just thinking about them. They weren't as much "blurry" as they were fleeting. (That's mostly because I didn't really want to dwell on them. They were mostly unpleasant things - and I know what happens once you observe a thing that is yet to happen...)

And it was always a SINGLE, but well-defined image or scene - never a sequence. (Then again, that may have also been the result of my reluctance to revive them.)

Larry King (CNN) once said that in the early 1960s he had hosted a very famous Dutch clairvoyant on his radio programme, and he asked the man about his "gift". To which the man replied: "It's not a gift - it's a curse."

Interestingly (not really
), James Van Praagh - another one of my pet dislikes - called it, smiling beatifically, a "gift from God". As did Sylvia, of course - and most other "clairvoyants" that Larry King hosted.

I bet it is. It's more than a gift - it's manna from Heaven, flowing straight into their wallets!

Shame on them.

P.S. Just to avoid misunderstanding: there's nothing wrong with calling this a "gift from God", of course. What I wanted to say was that a person who has no real clairvoyant abilities naturally cannot experience, or even imagine, the agony that that Dutch "psychic", for example, went through.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
A Gypsy woman.

My very first job at the age of 17 was learning the provisions and butchery trade under the wing of a master slaughterman and butcher covering all aspects of the meat trade.

At the age of 21 I was enlisted by the company to cover staff holidays in the chains North West region.
The first store I went to had two female assistants, Doreen & Susanah.
Over a breaktime coffee and scones Susanah spoke of a Genuine Romany Gypsy lady that visited the store every second Wednesday of the month to buy groceries.
She was due to visit within days.
The girls knew absolutely nothing of my life, interests, beliefs or social background, nor did anyone else.

Sure enough the Gypsy lady visited the store on the Wednesday and took her place in the queue.
I prepared her meat and other items and thought nothing much more until she beckoned me over to her.
She had the most penetrating stare which made me uneasy. (have you ever felt you were being read like a book?)
She told me of a family of five siblings one was a female the others were males.
She talked of a red car with blood on the steering wheel. (Gulp!) and a fair haired young lady waiting for letter.
The fair haired lady was waiting for me in the near future. She even predicted the month and year we were destined to become inseperable friends and eventually lovers.
Each prediction became fact within a very short time.

Susanah was told that she would give birth to twins. They would be born in the hides of March. This turned out to be accurate even though she had no partner at this point in time.
Doreen was advised to visit a doctor for a preliminary check up.It transpired within a short time that she had the first signs of breast cancer.

Without fine tuning these predictions She was correct on all accounts.
Coincidence.....? Clairvoyance...? Educated guess...?
Who knows..... perhaps in our midst there are people with the gift of foresight.
Am I convinced.....? well.... not quite, but it is a worthwhile point to ponder.

new topics

top topics

join