It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronout image ingraved into church built in 1102 A.D.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Inside the splendid Ieronimus Cathedral, built by Episcope de Salamanca in 1102 A.D., among the fascinating carvings of mythical animals and saints, we find – NASA Astronaut:

Link to article

Amazing !!!

[edit on 13-1-2008 by Acharya]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It would be even more amazing... if the restoration crew had not admitted they put it there recently.

They also said they put in an image of an ice cream cone not far from the "spaceman".

Nice restoration work though.

jra

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
By looking at the rock around the astronaut. You can see that it looks new. I'd assume it was a recent addition and in the comments on that article...

# zildjianmun

yeah. i actually visited this cathedral when i went over to spain earlier last year.
the tour guide said that they repaired that bottom portion of the cathedral and added the astronaut as kind of a joke. there is also an ice cream cone carved into the building several feet from the astronaut…
i touched that astronaut…

link   

..... try to spot an astronaut, the brainchild of the new stonemasons responsible for restoring the jambs whose stone had deteriorated.

www.aboutsalamanca.com...

link   
Nice find!

I noticed from the link provided, that someone called zildjianmun had said:-

yeah. i actually visited this cathedral when i went over to spain earlier last year.
the tour guide said that they repaired that bottom portion of the cathedral and added the astronaut as kind of a joke. there is also an ice cream cone carved into the building several feet from the astronaut…
i touched that astronaut…

I have to say, this does seem a plausible explanation.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Heh, what an evul joke as such

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Isn't there a church somewhere that features Darth Vader's head among some gargoyles?

I remember reading about it not very long ago.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nightmare_david

As Washington National Cathedral approached completion, the west towers rose towards the sky, striking toward heaven. During the building a startling idea was hatched: hold a competition for children to design decorative sculpture for the Cathedral.

Word of the competition was spread nationwide through National Geographic World Magazine. The third-place winner was Christopher Rader, with his drawing of that fearful villain, Darth Vader. The fierce head was sculpted by Jay Hall Carpenter, carved by Patrick J. Plunkett and placed high upon the northwest tower of the Cathedral.

To Find Darth Vader you have to leave the building through the ramp entrance. This is located at the northwest corner of the nave, through the double wooden doors of Lincoln Bay. Go down the ramp, and step into the parking lot. Then, turn around and look back up at the tower closest to you. He is almost impossible to see without the assistance of binoculars.

www.cathedral.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Why ruin an ancient building by putting a 'joke' in there! If I was religious I might be using the word 'desecration'.

Bad taste in my opinion.

[edit on 13-1-2008 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Its not a space man, its a monk and matches with the 15th century garb they would wear when on missionary jaunts into the wilderness.

new topics

top topics

join