It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians should accept polygamy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

........and I agree. By fulfilling the law, Jesus meant he completed it by satisfying its requirements in a way that we could not. Furthermore it gave it a completion with spiritual meanings that were not seen before we received the spirit.

Now, those who claim we must still adhere to the law should have no problem taking multiple wives. The law is proven to not be our salvation in whole or in part.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Besides the legal reasons, why doesn't every Christian denomination uphold old school Mormonism on this belief as acceptable if it was ok for the Jewish patriarchs?

It's a different day and age on planet earth and population control initiatives are being advocated by some Christian Theologists as a way to reduce the need for further urbanization at the expense of the natural landscape.

Socio-psychological theory also plays into this decision, considering the drastic rise of terriorial imperatives between various christian sects who still cling to the outdated doctrine of "go forth and multiply."

In short, we've all done a good job at reseeding the earth.

I don't understand personally why the Mormons are under fire for their practice, as long as the children are raised right and respectul, but it may just be that having kids for the sake of spreading ones seed extensively as possible is no longer nessecarily for survival?

We need a modern doctrine across the board as beautiful as the Book of Mormon, without needless clinging to the older testaments. It might help if more people read this book and just understood it really IS another testament of Jesus Christ and part of God's Design.

I'm from a Methodist/Roman Catholic background, and this is just my opinion on the issue.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
OMG you must be a MAN!

You want more than one wife? Consider it the norm? What a load of absolute testosterone ego rot!

Ok, I am willing to negotiate...that means I can have more than one Husband? One for every day of the week?

oh but that would make me a whore! Wouldn't it?

One rule for men and another for women!

urgh! (edit to add) this is annoying... oh its seed seed seed... women equate nothing more than some Breeding Queen Bee while the men just get their jollies off AND avoid the responsibility. Oh lets seed the planet and get a Christian seed to send to war! What a load of horse #e!

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
the men just get their jollies off AND avoid the responsibility.

No, you have that backwards. Men who run around and impregnate women without marrying them are avoiding responsibility. For the sake of this discussion, if the man was married to two women it would hardly be avoiding responsibility if he was making financial arrangements and providing food/shelter/clothing for both of them.

Men who avoid their responsibility are the ones who marry, have kids, get divorced, get married again, have kids..... How is this system better? In the current system men are allowed to marry as many women as they want. They just have to ditch their current wife to get a new one. Yes, I can see how this would be more responsible. :bnghd:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

They have to marry and divorce? Why would they do something so complicated? Just have a little fun on the side, no one will tell the Missus
, and you'll even avoid ever having any sort of legal or financial responsibility (as far as the non-wife ladies go).

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
OMG you must be a MAN!

You want more than one wife? Consider it the norm? What a load of absolute testosterone ego rot!

Who were you replying to, because although I am a man, I never stated I wanted more than one wife.

Edit:

Although by the standards of what some Christians believe they should also be able to own servants to bear them children if their wives are barren. It is biblical and if you believe in the Old Testament law then there must not be anything wrong with it, right?

[edit on 16-1-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I agree with most of the educated posts here. In my humble opinion, the reason why men were allowed to have more than one wife in the OT is because of war. People in the OT are always at war with each other. You need a strategy to replenish the population. The best way is to have more than one wife, securing the biggest chances that she will bear a son that will serve the king in the army.

If only one wife is allowed, a woman can only bear so much son. Having 800 wives, you'll have a formidable army. Multiply that in the number of men in the population, you can have the biggest army imaginable at a short time. Men as young as 15 are able enough to become a soldier.

I think I've been playing too much command and conquer. lol.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Though I person thinks its wrong. I dont know if for share if it is. As you said adam and eve, and in the beginning had to have many wives.

But the knew testiement does say this.

(what god has brought together can not be taken apart, (and) when two get to gether they become one)

I get a deem feeling that it is wrong and only one wive is right.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
That's a really good question. They should bring it back.

I wouldn't mind having 8 wives, as long as i don't have to hear all 8 of them nagging at the same time.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction
Polygamy in the OT sense was about ownership of women and children as property.

I think even if I were a Christian, I'd have to pass on this one, thanks.

Why else do the extreme LDS marry little girls as young as 14? Not because they're old enough to make an informed decision on whether they want to be the 12th wife of 20 and squeeze out a kid a year for life.

Well I loose my internet and when I get it back I find out that MM gets banned. So what gives? What did she say that was so horrible to get banned?

I'll go out on a limb and say it anyway- This place seems so strict if you even sneeze you get banned. I would not treat anyone like this let alone the members who join this site. I think that is a small honor for this website when a new member joins.

If this is what MM said in the quote above then why ban her? Can members here not state their opinions with out breaking a rule in the T&C?

If this is how its gonna be then ban me too.

[edit on 2/4/2008 by Leyla]

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
All this wisdom and little simplicity of children..

Slybmatt is te only one who hit it on the head with his simple response..

The old law was for spreading children, many of them to spread the (tobe) prophets throughout the world... But in the New Law.. God specifically said..

" The two will bceome one flesh "

Not 3, not 4, not 500....

The new law fullfills the old law by this...

and the reason people get divorced is because they rush into marriages because they sometimes go on simple connections or want to have sex the right way, but dont really find their soul mates and really love each othr...

anyways, slybmatt good going by your simplicity response, and it was truth...

peace.

posted on Feb, 4 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There are a lot of you that are already polygamists ... and adulterers.

You just don't know it because you don't know the scripture well enough.

and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife. (Deuteronomy 21:13)

which basically means anyone you have been 'intimate' with, you have married. No need for a piece of paper, for G-d's laws do not need your government for verification. Your action was your promise.

But I, Jesus, say to you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication (unfaithfulness), causes her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery. (Matthew 5:32)

So, divorcing your wife for any reason but unfaithfulness ... causes both her and the one she ends with to be adulterers (and if you end up with someone in such a situation).

As far as polygamy, well, that opinion is left to you, for you have free thought and will.

I know I have the ability to love more than one woman at a time (but in different ways), whether I would involve myself in such a situation as multiple wives for any reason is another thing ... and my sanity if I ever did do so would have to be questioned, since usually one serious relationship is involved enough without complicating it further.

I have always been one to prefer a one on one interaction, even with friends ... I am not a social butterfly in any respect when it comes to my free time and who I share it with, so no bigoted man bashing inferences please.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Thanks Jesus .
to the second to the last poster. What god brought to gether sud not be taken apart. Just because two got to gether and marryed didnt mean God brought them together. Who are we to judge when its only God's judgement that matters.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join