It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obesity now a 'lifestyle' choice for Americans, expert says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

As adult obesity balloons in the United States, being overweight has become less of a health hazard and more of a lifestyle choice, the author of a new book argues.

"Obesity is a natural extension of an advancing economy. As you become a First World economy and you get all these labor-saving devices and low-cost, easily accessible foods, people are going to eat more and exercise less," health economist Eric Finkelstein told AFP.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I agree with obesity being a choice for most people. However, some are large due to genetics, but eating poorly certainly does not help the matter.

However, I do not agree with this statement:

"But the nasty side-effects of obesity aren't as nasty as they used to be," Finkelstein said.

"When you have a first-rate medical system that can cure the diseases that obesity promotes, you no longer need to worry so much about being obese," he told AFP.

Finkelstein is implying that a person can behave however they wish due to our 'magical' medicine.

If we keep getting bigger and bigger, soon the scientists won't be able to cure any disease because the individuals' body will be in such poor health.

Take care of yourselves people, this is sad. We used to be a very fit nation only 50 odd years ago.

Now we are second in obesity only to Saudi Arabia...

Linda Gotthelf, a doctor who heads research at Health Management Resources, a private, nationwide firm that specializes in weight loss and management, agreed that Americans now live longer but stressed that quality of life declines with age.

"People are living longer but with more chronic diseases," Gotthelf told AFP.

"That brings a diminished quality of life, especially for the obese who have more functional limitations as they age and tend to be on multiple medications."

I agree with Gotthelf. The poorer condition your body (mind and spirit follows) is in, the less mobility and happiness you are generally going to have.

Maybe I'm biased as I'm underweight and can eat whatever I want to without any problems.

Ok I am biased, but people need to take better care of themselves on average.

There was a program on discovery channel called, 'I eat 33,000 calories per day' about morbidly obese people.

I couldn't understand how someone would put themselves through such pain...

However, I understand food can become an addiction like anything else. Something needs to be done though to improve the average quality of life.

Obviously diets have not been working. People need to start eating locally, organically, and in moderation.

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 12-1-2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
If they want to call being fat a life style, so be it. But dont come complaining to there rest of us when you have to buy two plane tickets because you too large to fit in one seat, or when your knees hurt due to the inability to support your weight.

Morbidly obese people should be treated the same exact way as a heroin addict. Dont like it? then change your lifestyle. Your no less an addict then someone putting a needle in his arm five times a day. If a drug addict has to stop using drugs to better his life, then obese people should be expected to control their detrimental habits as well. Im so sick of people who are obese trying to get the rest of the world to feel bad and cater to their needs, when its their own lazy self that causes it. If you want to eat your mcdonalds, burger king, or any other two thousand calorie meal without expecting to get fat, then you deserve what you get.

Exercise. Period.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

news.yahoo.com

As adult obesity balloons in the United States, being overweight has become less of a health hazard and more of a lifestyle choice, the author of a new book argues.

"Obesity is a natural extension of an advancing economy. As you become a First World economy and you get all these labor-saving devices and low-cost, easily accessible foods, people are going to eat more and exercise less," health economist Eric Finkelstein told AFP.

Wasn't Biggie Smalls a illiterate fat# who failed at attempting music?

new topics

top topics

join