It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How "the law of attraction" works

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to form something thoughtful and in-depth. I will take the liberty to reply to it.

Originally posted by scientist
I guess there are two ways of looking at the Law of Attraction. First, there is the metaphysical / spiritual view / subjective view, that basically states that you must be thinking of a certain outcome, in order to facilitate it's occurrence. It would usually apply to feelings or some other intangible and/or abstract concept. Of course, since we are dealing with intangibles and concepts, we are also no longer dealing with something that can be measured (hence the subjective property), and therefore it is not really a "Law" at all, at least not in the scientific or conventional sense. Even abstract laws of geometry can be proven with consistency, and by anyone, at anytime. The "Law" of Attraction is not something that can be demonstrated to a class of students in an objective and directly observable manner.

Yes. Hence the disclaimer at the beginning of the thread. There is a theoretical construct behind the "law of attraction" however. Its not scientific by any stretch, but it serves as an "explanation" for an ever curious mind:

From all-that-is (universe, infinity, life) consciousness filters out things according to what it puts attention on. All realities exist simultaneously, millions exist, but we only experience those we have had or are putting attention (awareness) on, while all other realities "move to the background". In this way, consciousness is like a TV-Set: All channels (realities) are airing, but we only RECEIVE those channels we are tuned into. To say "channel 3 is not real" is not true but seems true if we are tuned into channel 4.

A neutral state of consciousness is tuned into nothing. A desiring/appreciating consciousness and a resisting/disliking consciousness is tuned into something. Everything we love and everything we fear will come to pass.

The other way to look at the Law of Attraction, is in a literal sense. Instead of the LoA acting as a personality booster, to keep a positive outlook, some people extrapolate this concept to affect material goods, specific dates, specific opportunities, etc. For this mentality, Law of Attraction is no longer something used solely to affect one's own mind and personal reality, but to change objective reality for everyone. This is the take on Law of Attraction that I have problems with, but am not opposed to. What I am opposed to, are people that take this one particular flavor of LoA, and then market it as the ONLY interpretation of LoA. That simplified interpretation is then dumbed down to smaller, more simplified things like "think positive, win big!" and other small phrases that could be embroidered or imprinted onto shirts and keychains and bumper stickers.

I agree with the sentiment. But if you are meaning to say that the law of attraction only applies subjectively and not to objective reality, I disagree.
The idea is, that ALL things are the very same energy in various frequencies. Physical ("objective") and "non-physical" ("subjective") interrelate.

Just like steam, water and ice are various densities of the same stuff, thought and matter are various densities of the same stuff.

Of course, the attitude of greed & need as you describe it, do not work, because they seperate one from being a "vibrational match" to the thing desired. Which is why watered down versions will dissappoint many and make LOA look like "it doesnt work".

First source, emerald tablets.

2. That which is below is like that which is above & that which is above is like that which is below to do the miracles of one only thing.

The other source would be the concepts of dharma / karma of Hinduism. It's basically the push/pull, ebb/flow of reality - all the polar opposites and possibilities that make up the metaphysical fabric of everything.

Both of these are extremely abstract concepts, open to plenty of interpretation. Personally, I think of this more in terms of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), only because there are many practices within that field that directly correlate to many of the new-age practices and theories that go along with the "literal" LoA aforementioned. For example, people that claim to see something happen, or practice events before they occur (like basketball players making shots in their mind), this is called "Future Pacing," or "Memorizing the Future." Both are simplified terms (which I'm not a fan of) which imply that mentally going over a sequence of events is not much different than actually doing those events. This is how people with robotic limbs can still get around. Perhaps a great deal of positive thinking is invovled to get there, but the actual technology is driven by synapses. I only mention this, because it comes up in relation to LoA all the time, but it really has nothing to do with LoA (as far as I can tell).

Yes, stuff like the Emerald Tablets, The Kybalion, etc. NLP is what I call the "mechanistic business version" of the law of attraction.

Another "literal" concept, is basically a glorified form of wishing. Instead of just really really wanting and wishing to win the lottery, some people are now using Laws of Attraction (oh my!). Does this increase their chances? Statistically, no... again, pointing in the direction opposite of what would constitute a "Law." Wishing for something to magically fall into your lap, is a bit much. Even if it DOES happen, there is no way of telling that your own mental thoughts had anything to do with it, anymore than just plain old coincidence.

Again, I suggest that LOA does indeed apply to REAL physical reality.

That said, there are A LOT of problems with applying it to things like the lottery. First of all, the lottery is an energy-field focussed on by millions...which makes manifestational success in it highly unlikely, second of all, focussing on lottery for financial gain means missing out on literally trillions of other paths money can come to one. Third, the practice is based on lack-of-self-worth (needing something "out there" to do the job) and will actually create less money.

LoA applies more to me in a subconscious way. I guess another good way to describe it would be in terms of photography. To the untrained eye, or amateur, taking (or rather, "finding") photos is not as easy as it is for a veteran. The vet is constantly analyzing shadows, the weather, reflections, places to stand, direction of light, shutter speeds, depth of field, etc. Literally 10-20 things are being calculated and focused on with care, before the cap even comes off the camera lens. This to me, is Law of Attraction.

I suggest that to eliminate much of the debate, instead of calling this the "Law of Attraction," it should be called "The Law of Attention."

The "Law of Attraction" (in my opinion) is closer to my first example - using it as a spiritual / personal way of getting what you want. It's not necessarily the car that gets you from point A to point B, but it can be the radio of nice tunes that keeps you from being blinded from road rage, or to keep you awake during those long nights driving into the darkness. It can also be your navigator, reminding you that your turn is coming up, and not to miss it...

Calling it the "law of attention" is wise from a practical point of you but also from a mystical point of view, as it is merely filtering out certain aspects from all-that-is.

To people who dont believe in my spiritual mumbo-jumbo I often call it "Priority Managing" instead of "law of attraction".

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
ideal beginners-playground because its put in simple words and is free of much of the hype-baggage offered on other websites.

Thanks, I added it to my favorites to look at later. I just hate that the odds a 100 to 1 out that people just want your money without providing a thing to help you in the end.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I suggest that LOA does indeed apply to REAL physical reality.

Could I ask for some specific examples of real-world, physical reality? I guess I don't understand how this concept applies to objective reality.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
Could I ask for some specific examples of real-world, physical reality? I guess I don't understand how this concept applies to objective reality.

alright, a brief crash-course in the metaphysics of LOA:

As already mentioned, we think that physical reality and spiritual reality (thought, emotion) are the same thing in different states of density. The analogy in more detail:

Steam: Spirit
Water: Thought
Ice: Matter

Extremely-Focussed-Thought DENSIFIES into physical matter.

Earlier today I gave the example of the car-dent being mysteriously repaired. Another example is that I attribute my business successes to LOA. What "events" flow into my life CORRESPOND to the "energy" I send out.

"Law of Attraction" can therefore also be called "Law of Correspondence".

"Correspondence" meaning that we magnetically attract events in correspondence to what we already have, are, think, do, say.

This is why it is easier for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer. They are surrounded by it, so they dont have to "focus" so much.

What I think YOU are doing though, is what many do, to take this stuff as a metaphor or as "subjective reality only".

NLP is actually a good example of a belief-system which takes all this stuff "subjective only".

So an NLP-Pracitioner might say: "My beliefs filter my experience".
A LOA-Practitioner might say: "My beliefs create my experience".

Its one step more far-out.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
ah, I see:

NLP: Toe-may-toe
LoA: Toe-mah-toe

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yes that was a very good post. I had tried to make an explanation from a couple of the Voynich document's drawings at one time, but also referred to the tablet to convey the information choosing 7-11.

7. Its force or power is entire if it be converted into earth. Separate thou the earth from the fire, the subtle from the gross sweetly with great industry.
8. It ascends from the earth to the heaven & again it decends to the earth and receives the force of things superior & inferior.
9. By this means you shall have the glory of the whole world & thereby all obscurity shall fly from you.
10. Its force is above all force, for it vanquishes every subtle thing & penetrates every solid thing.
11 So was the world created.

The conversion to earth is made by a creator that is made in the image of a creator, for the purpose of creation.

It will however depend on the education of the student. To the general public, I am probably about to get the ribbon award for supreme nut job.

I always avoid the 'Law' statements since this is a fringe science relying on the beliefs and abilities of an individual and bringing that person into a lab setting vs a comfort zone could decrease accuracy. Not to say it won't work but like blood pressure there may be some white coat befuddling.

Its hard to say. I encourage people to keep good notes. Hindsight can blur the reality of what really happened but the notebook should give indications.
In the older occult texts they call it a science. I feel it is more a skill, like bull riding, few start off getting the full 8 seconds.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee

It will however depend on the education of the student. To the general public, I am probably about to get the ribbon award for supreme nut job.

I keep quiet about most of the stuff too. Cant believe I talked about the car-dent event. Most readers will already have rolled their eyes and declared us complete nutcases.

And thus, we understand why this stuff used to be so secret and arcane.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Yes. I have 12 pages in the work covering the raising of the dead, and the dangers to both the deceased and the practitioner as well as when to do it and when to leave it alone.

As I mentioned before it can never be an ebook or show up on the bit transfers. It will be printed a couple at a time and go from my hand to the prequalified initiate.

As for the dent? He who controls the present, controls the future. He who controls the future, controls the past. Well done.

Just a word of warning. Be certain you never plot time on a white board. Always use paper and the same location every time. Even if you have a good handle on it in your head. Murphy's law says the white board will be erased will have the grocery list on it when you need it most.

As far as nut job awards....I think I just hit the top on this thread.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yes. I have 12 pages in the work covering the raising of the dead, and the dangers to both the deceased and the practitioner as well as when to do it and when to leave it alone.

you better shut up before people start associating law of attraction with zombification and necromancy

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I sort of feel badly now. You started a well above average topic here and it got off the track. I accept some of the blame. To put things right lets go on.

There is a force. Much like water and electricity it has properties that include:

1. Speed or frequency.
2. Volume or quantity.
3. The conduit or wire resistance.

We can improve 3. with our own work or focus. What have others found for the first two? I related speed having to do with balance or quality of request. This may be our perception of quality, based on personal belief.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

you better shut up before people start associating law of attraction with zombification and necromancy

Be assured, I used Biblical examples.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Sorry I just had to:
*groan*
*groan*
BBbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssssssssssssssss...............................
*moan*

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I just hate that the odds a 100 to 1 out that people just want your money without providing a thing to help you in the end.

There are in fact more con-artists in this field of new-age/metaphysics than honest people...Gurus/Teachers who dont even believe in what they are selling. This has the bad effect that many people have become cynical towards this type of material.

Any normal human being has "BS-sensors" with which he/she can tell the difference though.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
I just hate that the odds a 100 to 1 out that people just want your money without providing a thing to help you in the end.

There are in fact more con-artists in this field of new-age/metaphysics than honest people...Gurus/Teachers who dont even believe in what they are selling. This has the bad effect that many people have become cynical towards this type of material.

Any normal human being has "BS-sensors" with which he/she can tell the difference though.

Key things to watch out for that should get the feelers up:

The full course and everything you need to know is $XXXX.

The first two books in the series don't come close to this.....

Not only can you reap the benefits but you can make money telling others.

Knowing a certain field has a large percentage of BS in it will help.

Don't get me wrong, if someone can rephrase or teach the principles in a manner that is easier for the student to understand, they deserve the few dollars for the work they put in to it. The workman deserves his pay. Skyfloating gave key gold nuggets of truth in a few words about the value of the written word. Another thing to keep in mind is a lot of knowledge isn't going to be made public or be sold at any price. It is out there though and can be pieced together if one wants to do the leg work. If one doesn't want to put the work in to sort the wheat from the chaff the odds are they will get burned a couple times before they get the information they are after. Its the quick buck, anything for money world we live in. Asking for referrals from knowledgeable workers and practitioners is the best route, and will keep you from buying new bookshelves every year. Another thing to consider is knowledge shared between initiates usually has a cost that is equal to the production cost. The exception is if a person is a writer by trade and then of course it is right to honor their work.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

I believe otherwise. Just a few months ago I had a pretty large dent in my car, someone had driven into it while it was parked, and escaped. Applying LOA, I didnt give much credence to it (no anger, no response) and just went about my day as if it never happened. I didnt tell others about it either. Two days later I parked my car at the same spot. Upon returning, the dent was gone, as if it had never been there. Although I apply LOA often, I still couldnt believe my eyes. I started asking people if they had secretly taken my car to the repairshop while I was gone, but that was nonsense because I had the car-keys all along.

wow....
really? Now that one just blows me away.

Perhaps its my point of view in this particular area which is preventing me from having similar experiences, but i mean, i just cant understand how LOA could physically affect something which has already occurred.

I feel this would be supremely hard to achieve too. You would literally have to be convinced the dent never occurred - i'm not sure i'm strong willed enough for that.

Skyfloating, i will certainly open my mind in this regard and will be sure to let you no if such an event occurs with me!

I wonder if similar principles can be applied to, for instance, a scar, rash or skin condition? The rash/scar could be permanent and incurable, but if we apply LOA in a similar way to the dent, perhaps it would go? i wonder - anyone been able to do this?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

im with you srsen. I have immense respect for Skyfloating, and highly doubt any fabrication for story's sake.

Perhaps Sky was thinking negatively, so saw the dent upon first look... but then when thinking positively, saw it was never there at all? I mean, that seems to be just as reasonable (if not more) of an explanation than LoA un-dented physical reality through nothing more than the power of thought / hope / positive energy.

I would really like to explore this more, as I am intrigued as to how some people are viewing LoA, specifically in relation to physical matter changing, or being manifested.

[edit on 14-1-2008 by scientist]

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

Well, consider that I have been "into" this since I was a teenager. So we are basically talking "beyond the secret" and "beyond the law of attraction" here.

People rarely experiencing stuff like this has something to do with their beliefs about time and also beliefs about imagination.

Time, we have been conditioned to believe, is linear past-present-future.

Imagination, we have been conditioned to believe, is not-solid, insubstantial, has little meaning or effect on physical reality, is without substance, etc.

Once my I loosened my definitions of time, space and imagination a bit, more of this "stuff" started happening. Some call them "reality shifts".
They have not happened fully intentionally to me....the car-dent being gone took me by surprise.

There has been other stuff...about one "miracle" every two years is the rate for me. The ingrained belief that these things are "far out", "miracles", "wowzaaaaaaaaaaaa", "weird", "far-out maaaaan" actually makes them occur much less. By declaring them unnormal we seperate from them.

To answer your question, yes Ive experienced the reverse of cause-and-effect on a few ocassions. But not before I was familiar with the concept that I could "change the past".

There is no way I could give a how-to instruction on it, except to say that it is connected to our concept of time and our ideas about what imagination is and is not.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by srsen

also note that I didnt give much reaction/emotion/response/assignment-of-meaning, assignment-of-reality to the car-dent. This is typical loa behaviour...not delving into the stuff we dont like.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

sky, i would like to expand on this car dent thing, if you don't mind. Since it's all speculation at this point anyways, here's a hypothetical to ponder, and reply about:

If you have taken a picture of the dent (if it even existed in the first place), then used the LoA, and taken a picture afterwards... you would have objective proof (albeit debatable unless you had witnesses as well) - however, would the LoA also alter the dent in the photo?

If you had a video camera setup, would it have happened in a fraction of a second, or gradually over time? Again, I realize it's all speculation - but from my perspective, i don't understand any of this, so I'd like to get some insight from someone who's input I value

When you bring physical matter into the equation, it brings on a whole new set of questions. Much like a time machine.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

reply to post by srsen

Well, consider that I have been "into" this since I was a teenager. So we are basically talking "beyond the secret" and "beyond the law of attraction" here.

People rarely experiencing stuff like this has something to do with their beliefs about time and also beliefs about imagination.

Time, we have been conditioned to believe, is linear past-present-future.

Imagination, we have been conditioned to believe, is not-solid, insubstantial, has little meaning or effect on physical reality, is without substance, etc.

Once my I loosened my definitions of time, space and imagination a bit, more of this "stuff" started happening. Some call them "reality shifts".
They have not happened fully intentionally to me....the car-dent being gone took me by surprise.

There has been other stuff...about one "miracle" every two years is the rate for me. The ingrained belief that these things are "far out", "miracles", "wowzaaaaaaaaaaaa", "weird", "far-out maaaaan" actually makes them occur much less. By declaring them unnormal we seperate from them.

To answer your question, yes Ive experienced the reverse of cause-and-effect on a few ocassions. But not before I was familiar with the concept that I could "change the past".

There is no way I could give a how-to instruction on it, except to say that it is connected to our concept of time and our ideas about what imagination is and is not.

Its a sort of strange byproduct. Once it starts it doesn't stop. If examined closely there is doubt you will find one single case that is not overtly positive in its nature. It's sort of like the 90% of the brain you don't use catches on and decides to dabble a bit on its own. Not many other ways to explain it. Best to disconnect from it, if there are witnesses.

Just out of curiosity have you experienced pineal (sp?) vision before?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join