It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How "the law of attraction" works

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Its up to the individual to develop their own concept of a higher power.

This may seem off-topic, but it's not, not really.
I think that, in practice, this apparent "freedom" creates an enormously debilitating obstacle to many people: if they are aware of their own creation (of the concept), they are likely to realise - or think, which is probably more accurate - that it's ALL up to them.
Is it?
Regardless of the truth, I have observed that most people cannot handle that realisation, certainly not long-term. (And not only because of some inherent "weakness".)

[edit on 23-5-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Cadbury

This was in the 70s. If that helps?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

If we go back to the double slit test we see the individual electrons behaving as they think we want them to. The key being they think. We are not thinking for them, they think and want to serve us in the way they think we want them to.

Is this God present in all things? If so I am in you and you are in me and we are in him. But is it really so simple? can it possibly be exactly the way the ancients told us it was? Did the hierarchy's tell them?

Or is it really this simple to understand:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illahee

Originally posted by tommyknockers
Hi guys,
I am sure you have all seen the “Sigil” thread. Isn’t this just a different interpretation of the LOA?

[edit on 16-5-2008 by tommyknockers]

Its a made up fad. Does it use the same power? To a degree, depending on the nature of the host.

This new round of sigils is really just the wave of pop magic that comes by every ten years or so.

I always thought sigil magick had it heyday back in the 80s when the chaos magick thing was going strong. People like Phil Hine and Peter Carrol were big into spreading those ideas, but I THINK the concept dates back to Austin Osman Spare (who may have been a contemporary of Crowley or somewhere around then.)

Not to criticize, but practicing sigil magic around 2000-2003 is what helped turn me on to the idea of LOA or whatever you want to call it. Sure, it involves unnecessary "baggage" as aids to focus the will, but I don't think it is any more a "made up fad" than ceremonial magick or the rituals of organized religions. Different people need different things to harness their belief, at least until they see how easy it really is and that they don't need anything (something which I will admit I'm still working on, even though I have little interest in the "trappings" of magick and occultims these days...but it is still fun to read people like Crowley and Eliphas Levi, etc. just to see how their ideas relate to "reality.")

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by Vanitas

Alright.

Experiment ends (and fails).

Its by a guy who claims to be channeling images from atlantis.

I know I wasn't "invited" but of course I had to give it a go when I saw the image...and given the "result," thought I would share... my first thought was a sort of wavering between alien world or ancient civilization. Though the label "Atlantis" did not come to mind. But it does seem like the sort of painting that would inspire thoughts of a "fantasy" world, so maybe its nothing more than just natural associations.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by shipovfools

Good reasoning, Shipovfools.

P.S. Do you often exercise your "remote viewing" (for lack of a better term)?

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

As far as the anger goes...thats just a device to transform fear.

I totally agree with this. When I was younger and "mad at the world," I felt immense inspiration and motivation. But I learned to mellow out as I tried to become happier and more appreciative of the world around me. Somewhere along the line I fell back but rather than being angry, now its more of an apathy. Sometimes I feel I should pull myself back into anger to get out of depression (Abraham/Hicks says almost the same thing) but I have a problem with this in the sense that its hard to be ANGRY at anyone or anything if you are also trying to experience love, light, unity, peace, etc... I would love to have that "angry fire" burning in my engine, but I don't want to get hung up on the same negativity and hatred that drove me into 'the dark night of the soul' in the first place!

There's a line in a Lou Reed song, "pass through the fire to the light..." - Maybe that relates

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

As far as the anger goes...thats just a device to transform fear.

I totally agree with this. When I was younger and "mad at the world," I felt immense inspiration and motivation. But I learned to mellow out as I tried to become happier and more appreciative of the world around me. Somewhere along the line I fell back but rather than being angry, now its more of an apathy. Sometimes I feel I should pull myself back into anger to get out of depression (Abraham/Hicks says almost the same thing) but I have a problem with this in the sense that its hard to be ANGRY at anyone or anything if you are also trying to experience love, light, unity, peace, etc... I would love to have that "angry fire" burning in my engine, but I don't want to get hung up on the same negativity and hatred that drove me into 'the dark night of the soul' in the first place!

There's a line in a Lou Reed song, "pass through the fire to the light..." - Maybe that relates

(I'm hope I'm not "hogging" this thread...its just one that has really given me lots to respond to as it resonates strongly with me and seems to be quite critical to me at the moment...thanks for listening!)

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Sorry for not responding yet. Ive just gotten to reading some of your posts, actually. Excellent read. Thanks for sharing

[edit on 23-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

P.S. Do you often exercise your "remote viewing" (for lack of a better term)?

To be honest, I really haven't practiced much of any remote viewing lately. There was a place I used to go to...it was a little cabin only steps from the ocean and I lived there with a beautiful woman, and behind it was a majestic mountain almost 'enveloping' my seaside enclave. The ruins of some sort of palace or castle were nestled in the mountainside but I never made it up there. A train track ran by the home and though I never saw the train pass, I sensed that it led to a vast city unlike anything currently existing on Earth.

But of course there is the part that says it was all only a pleasant fantasy...

I have been lax in meditation, visualization, etc. lately. I have had strange "voices" in my head on occasion recently. Not voices per se, but more like thoughts that seem to come from so far out of nowhere that they just couldn't be my own. For example, the phrase "Thessalonian 4:13" popped in their one morning while I was in that half-waking, not yet out of bed phase. So of course I had to look it up.

(This surprised me to some extent as I am by no means a Christian, and even though I come from a Christian background, I never studied the Bible. In fact, I am quite opposed to organized religion...but I will admit I have come to see the truths in Christianity just as they exist in all spiritual paths.)

Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope.

Needless to say that creeped me out / excited me a bit. The mainstream interpretation, as far as I can tell, is that the passage says not to grieve the dead (sleeping,) but I don't know if I buy that. I think by 'sleeping' it refers to those who haven't fully awakened to the wonders of reality. Still not sure how that applies to me and my journey. I've always considered myself a "lucid sleeper", aware of what's going on to some extent but not awake enough to put it to good use. Maybe I need to quit "grieving" for myself...?

[edit on 23-5-2008 by shipovfools]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   

as far as magick/sigils etc. go....I think you´re right in your realization about it. Its just an aid to help people focus.

But one day you try it without all the crutches and belief-systems and occult mumbo-jumbo and realize its just pure intention...

...as simple as raising your arm up in the air. When I intend to raise my arm I do so without any baggage, hoping for, wishing, visualizing, ritual...I just raise my arm, period. Thats what "the art of intending" is like.

But until then, people will find crutches helpful.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

There was a place I used to go to...

You mean during your "remote viewing"? Then you couldn't have seen yourself.

But, at the risk of sounding a total kook (I am quite used to it, although not here on this board :-), you MAY have had a glimpse of a parallel life of yours.

even though I come from a Christian background, I never studied the Bible. In fact, I am quite opposed to organized religion...but I will admit I have come to see the truths in Christianity just as they exist in all spiritual paths.)

That's precisely the meaning of the term and concept of "background".

It's an all-encompassing context, a culture, something far older and greater than yourself, and you tap into it whether you want it or not.

I am glad for your sake that you've come to realise there is no reason to discard it or ignore it.
(It's quite the opposite - radically so! -, I might add. But more on that on some other occasion...
)

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by shipovfools

But it does seem like the sort of painting that would inspire thoughts of a "fantasy" world, so maybe its nothing more than just natural associations.

I wasnt invited either, but since you started it, lol, I saw Christmas ornaments. I didnt think city at all.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

1) The one who believes they deserve happiness and to be well cared for even in a tough financial situation. (As evidenced by the willingness to give yourself the best breakfast you can and allowing yourself to eat it in peaceful and beautiful surroundings, while gratefully appreciating that food and those surroundings)

or-

2) The person who denies themselves any pleasure or happiness until they come up with THE solution to all their problems, and who has no trust in the universe or the Divine, the LoA, or themself, to provide for their needs.

I would totally agree with you in a perfect world. I think for myself as a "novice" in LOA that I find myself wavering between the two extremes. I guess practise makes perfect

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've been reading this thread for a while and a lot of it is really good stuff. But i can't help thinking a lot of it has slipped into self-congratulatory, feel good vagueness. Like a lot of the books on this kind of subject the bulk of the discussion seems to be success stories and claims with little meat. These contributions are good to hear but they offer little to those actually looking to make a start with LOA.

Some actual LOA techniques have been lightly touched on in passing but where is the practical advice of what to do, when to do it, how often to do it etc?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thanks for bringing this up, it's a very valuable opportunity to discuss important things.

I have noticed that very many people - I do not mean you specifically (how could I?) - tend to skim messages, scan them for something that feels "meaningful", like a dictum or, preferably, a mechanical instruction... and overlook the true gems among the weeds.

That's because they cannot recognise them.
And that is nobody's "fault".

That's how transmission of true "wisdom" (of any kind) works - there are no shortcuts to circumvent this. Only those who have already progressed, on their own, far enough can recognise its truth and value.
(Sorry if it sounds pompous or worse: it's the truth, a "law" of higher learning.)

But there are, of course, ways to point people in the right direction.

The best way to address individual questions would be for people to put forward specific questions, as they did in the beginning of this thread's life. Perhaps even quoting directly from the books - if books are being used - and asking for clarification would be a good idea.
(BTW: Don't those books provide specifics? I am not being sarcastic - it's an honest question.)

In the meantime, here is a piece of seemingly generic advice that might get you a long way.

Are you familiar with the feeling of mind-blowing bliss and/or the feeling of witnessing a miracle?

f you are not, you have to find a way to discover it in yourself.
I don't see any such programming working unless you do (but I may be wrong).

If you are, then make it your PRIORITY to cultivate it into your primary mode of being.

When you feel it in your "head", it's good - but not good enough.
You have to feel it - and maintain the feeling - in your HEART.
When this happens, you'll already be richer than many people could ever dream of.

But when you feel it in your BONES - literally, in every atom of your physical framework - then is when the externalisation, materialisation of your wishes starts to happen.

And remember: the HEART - not the mind - is the primary organ of creation.

P.S. You may want to have a thorough look at Franz Bardon's Initiation into Hermetics. (It's freely available on the web.)
If you - I mean whoever is reading this - don't get anything from THAT book, I think it's safe to say you have a very, very long way to go...

Anyway: the best of luck!

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I aint retyping what I wrote earlier today, so here is my commentary on the Law of Attraction:

The law of attraction is not particularly new. If one were to purchase a copy of the 1904 Advanced Course in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism, you'll find the law of attraction spoken about in some depth. You will also find it in the Tao Teh Ching and the Hua Hu Ching, spoken about in great length. Napoleon Hill talks about it in his many books.

The concept is as follows, we are all contributing to the Universe. Our every thought, feeling, action, sends a message to the Universe, that it must react to in some form. When we're thinking positive thoughts, feeling positive feelings, taking positive action, we're creating a sense of harmony with the Universe. However, we can think happy thoughts, but if our emotions don't match, or our actions, we create a sense of disorder, which the Universe must respond to.

Now, when it comes to the law of attraction, you need to be constantly sending a harmonious message to the Universe of what you'd like to achieve. In other words, you picture it, and breathe vital positive feeling into it, morning, noon, night, and at all times. Eventually, you program your subconscious to emit this message automatically. When you're sending out a harmonious message at all times, the Universe must always work to respond to it in some way. However, if your thoughts don't last long, or if they have some hint of doubt or negative feeling, you will not only attractive the negative, but you repel your objective.

When you send out harmonious messages, via your thoughts, feelings, words, actions, and habits, the Universe is like "Hey, he's creating harmony in the Universe in relation to this goal. let's assist him with it." But if you combine your mental pictures with doubt, shallow breath, fears, disbelief, the Universe responds in a non-harmonious way, in order to tell you that the message you're sending doesn't make sense and isn't getting through.

Also, The law of attraction is only designed to assist a person in getting what they want. For example, you may want the money to buy a new home. You may be inspired to take up a new career, or begin a new venture that will assist you in making the money. But, if you don't take actions towards this inspiration, again, you get nowhere. You are putting resistance into the formula.

In other words, you need to have positive, vivid imagery, empowered with positive feeling via deep breathing. You need to take action that is either inspired via revelation, or similar steps taken by those who have achieved what you want. In this way, the action you're taking is proven to work. Then, you need to inspire others to help you, but you must give to them equally for how they will help you.

Also, whatever you want to achieve, you can have, if you put in the equal effort to the value of what you want to achieve. For example, if you want ripped six pack abs, you won't get them, unless you do the exercise, and eat right. You can picture them all you want, but without the action, you're lost.

All the law of attraction does is assist your current efforts, and only when your efforts are all harmonious both within yourself, and with the Universe. When your efforts are all without resistance, the Law of Attraction can finally point you in the right direction, either by inspiring you to check something out, or bringing some opportunity to your attention, or by getting you to run into someone or some circumstance that could lead to the acquisition of your objective.

In other words, it was never meant to be this whole magic get rich quick, instant magic scheme. It's part of a process, that will take you in a successful direction if you follow the steps. But when you do not follow the steps, you do not achieve success. The Law of Attraction is just one of dozens of laws that when applied, can assist someone in achieving their desires. To me, movies like "The Secret" though they bring awareness, possibly hurt the whole situation more than helped it, by spreading such an incomplete picture, that the failed results one may have from there will push you away from this type of information.

So, the catch is, it isn't a fix all. You can't just picture hot ladies coming to your door and expect it to happen. You can't just think the world to change. You need to apply the rest of the principles to even begin to activate the benefits of such a law. Your must be persistent, and once eventually your mind acts like a broadcasting system, broadcasting a strong, harmonious message at all times, the the Universe can start reacting to help you a long the way.

So, let's break it down:

#1 vividly picture exactly what you want, and what equal service you offer in exchange
#2 Give the mental pictures power with positive feeling, via deep breathing exercises
#3 Take action towards your objective that either mimics the steps taken by someone who has achieved what you want, or through inspired action.
#4 Focus on these 3 steps many times a day, all together, programing them into your subconscious as messages that will be sent out the the Universe constantly.
#5 Influence others in a harmonious way to help you.
#6 you can build your levels of faith, strength, hope, patience, etc by enduring hardship, and overcoming adversity in life. The more developed these attributes, the more profound will be your results.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I've been reading this thread for a while and a lot of it is really good stuff. But i can't help thinking a lot of it has slipped into self-congratulatory, feel good vagueness. Like a lot of the books on this kind of subject the bulk of the discussion seems to be success stories and claims with little meat. These contributions are good to hear but they offer little to those actually looking to make a start with LOA.

Some actual LOA techniques have been lightly touched on in passing but where is the practical advice of what to do, when to do it, how often to do it etc?

The feel-good-factor mocked by many is actually the act of upping ones vibe in order to attract further events to feel good about.

This thread is brim-full with implied techniques because practitioners are mindful not to shove prescriptions down peoples throats.

My LOA-practice for this week consisted of walking up a mountain while doing breathework and staring at things (attention-focus-techniques are of prime importance in this), 1 hour of meditation and visualisation, 15 minutes of writing down intentions for the week and then forgetting about them, helping a friend in need (what you give is what you get), discontinuing 3 things I dont enjoy and re-engaging in an activity I enjoy.

Is that specific enough for you? However, that was my practice and neednt have anything to do with others. LOA gives people a template which they can fill with their own methods.

[edit on 24-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wow...three responses simultaneously.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Wow...three responses simultaneously.

Great minds think alike... and simultaneously.

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join