It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy fast attack craft test. Testing against small fast speedboats.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   

They used the CIWIS and the 5 inch gun against small boats. Its harder than I thought. Multiple suicide boats coming at you and you have a hard time taking on just one. I hoped they able to adjust this threat. But thats what this test is for. 3 years old.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Wow...I sure hope they got better over time. That was not good. That is what the test were for, however...but jeeze, that didn't bode well.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
whats gonna change? ships still have ciws - oh wait thats being replaced by the SAM only SeaRAM - so take away the ciws option and your left with sailors with M16s and M60`s , anti tank weapons , grenades and the 5" gun

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Actually a lot of USN and RN ships have started to be equiped with miniguns in place of the pintle mounted machine guns in order to counter exactly this type of threat. The best control system for countering these fast moving targets is still the mk 1 eyeball and a bit of experience and practice.

www.navweaps.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
did you see the RN female sailor manning it - beuty and the beast

shooting on deflection is a skill that needs practise as the video of teh ciws shows some shots miss by quite alot.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Cool video, thanks for posting it.

What are they using as fire control for the CIWS?

Obviously it's being manually targeted and not in it's AAA auto engage mode.

Looks like they were leading too much.

They might want to look into some small anti-armor missiles for those speedboats, that might work better than the guns, those things are obviously hard to hit.

I thought it was interesting that they use an AA round airburst over the target from the 5" instead of direct fire, that's clever.

[edit on 1/13/08 by xmotex]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Javelin would immolate one of those boats quite nicely

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
link

remote station typhoon and mini typhoon weapon staions.
30mm, 25mm, 12.7mm applications.

one each side of warship or two front two rear.

top topics

join