It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Car for Sale. Will it Work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Saw this on Ebay:

The last Concept Sky Commuter aircraft in Existence

First I want to make it clear that it is possible to lift off and get off the ground. The balance of the flight is what made the first two ships lose control. This is 18 years ago and old technology that was available but this ship was the cutting edge then. Going into areas never covered before. With the R&D that has come before us in the recent years this ship is the perfect example to make free flight possible. Yes you can make this ship leave the ground and even 10 feet or higher.

It certainly looks cool. Apparently it was developed by a corporation, but still needs some work. Wow. Wouldn't it be cool to have one of these? Bidding stands at $48000, which is pretty damn cheap for a flying car!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Well if this isn't a scam, then that is cool for sure.

Why does the he want to sell it instead of using it? Has he got another one?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The last flying car I remember was a Ford Pinto with wings, engines, tail etc. strapped to it. It made several successful flights as I recall, but finally crashed killing the inventor. That was the last I ever heard if it.

Here's a link to some info and a picture:

Flying Pinto

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The seller says he bought it in a museum. A museum! It's amazing this stuff hasn't been developed further. The engine was removed, though I believe he has fitted a new one. He says it will fly 10/15 feet in the air, is maneuverable (though it has some stability issues--Yikes) and can then be landed and driven.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That is incredible if its for real.I wonder how far in the future we have to wait before these are a common thing?I read in my local newspaper last week that self driving cars will be out by 2018.Woohoo!Then I can get some sleep while I travel long distances!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Bah. When I was a child in the 1950s, the futurists told us we would all have flying cars by 1975. They missed the mark, and I believe a self driving car by 2018 does too.

[edit on 1/12/2008 by TheAvenger]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Off-topic:
the self-driving car is here. NOW.

On-topic:
all you guys who got the money, go ahead and buy it. then paint it with some flashy ATS logos for publicity. meh.

[edit on 1.13.08 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I know more than enough drivers that have more than enough trouble driving on the ground, the idea of having to compete with drivers in three full dimensions kind of scares me. Just when you thought it was bad that some people don't check their blind spots when changing lanes imagine how bad it'll be when a guy doesn't look up before ascending. I'm all for progress and newer technologies but flying cars without some amazing autopilots I think we should just leave to a select few rather than the general public.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
No, it will not work. If you read the entire description he states this model was used for PR & avionics development.

It is one of 3 and the first 2 were destroyed. This one never had or no longer has motors that will enable it to fly.

This guy put some cheap fans for demonstration or to make it more realistic while it may lift up off the ground this is not a working product. It is part of a prototype test that never went anywhere.

While it may be cool - it is almost useless except to look at in a museum or further develop it yourself.

However there are two real companies developing flying cars that I've seen. I can only remember the name of one the Skycar

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Man I want that car....sooo cool......

Also......that flying car link...
could these be what's responsible for the ufo sightings...

www.moller.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Short answer: no.

Long answer: No, because trying to combine a set of wheels and a set of wings has never been proven good to live with for any long amount of time as a stable commuter one-size-fits-all vehicle. Trying to bridge the gap between a flying and a driving machine usually results in unacceptable compromising of either the roadworthiness of an automobile or the airworthiness of an aircraft, in most cases both.

The Skycar project is an exception (along with maybe a few pocket aviation projects I've not heard of yet) because its goal is not to replace the car or be a car and a flying machine, rather, it is meant to be a new way of thinking about aircraft as personal transport.

Also, the tech specs of this "flying car" scare me. 10-15 feet in the air isn't flying, it's hovering very, very high. Tell me, when's the last time you saw a private pilot flying 10 feet over highways and populated areas from one end of the state to the other?

Stability issues? Only if I'm flying a hot-rodded fighter with fly-by-wire. Relaxed stability is the realm of the Viper and the Typhoon, not this supposed flying car.

I am, however, a believer in the concept of the truly personal aircraft. I'm talking something you could drag behind you like a boat or have at a private location, roll to an airfield, and take off in, get to your location, land on a public road and park in a garage if you have to, and fly back. But to try to make a car out of an airplane, or vice-versa, and ask it to do both jobs, is biting off more than engineers and common sense can do...well, at least nowadays.

[edit on 1/14/2008 by Reverie Planetarian]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I wonder if this is possible to have a flying car because this is a new type of car i am seeing and if it works fine then i would be happy.
----
sathyan

[adverting link removed]

[edit on 17-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

join