It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic Modification of Anger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
We are getting close to a time if not already there that we will be able to do many things. Whether they are good or bad is a moral question.

My question is if we were able to modify human genetics to exclude anger what would happen? I suppose we would still need the trait of aggressiveness but can you have that without anger.

A world population without anger would mean what? If we still had the trait of greed would we still have war? At its basic level war is anger at least on the ground by the opposing solders. I don't think war is an anger issue in the mind of the military industrial complex or the dictator of the day. It’s a power and greed trip for them. Could a population go to war on the ground and not be angry as they fight?

Populations are stirred to war. They are indignant and furious over some perceived slight or wrong. What if the populations had no anger?

I know we need our emotions and anger sometimes gets us over our fear and allows us to get things done we maybe couldn't do without it. Could we live without it? What about other emotions? What would be the perfect genetic makeup of a human society to live in peace but still have the desire to procreate and live on?

Maybe anger isn't even the emotion we need to do away with? Maybe the traits that make up political ambition is the better choice but that's hardly a single emotion?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Forget Anger, or Greed.

Empathy is the key. Amplify Empathy and you would solve much of the world's problems. Racism, War, Murder, Abuse...

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, I guess that would be one way of doing it. There are drugs out there that have those kind of side affects. Ecstasy is nicknamed the hug drug for the euphoric and empathetic outpourings that can come from its use according the the below website.

I'm not saying we jackup the population on ecstasy but I would bet there is a cure for the human race in there somewhere.

Of course you have those that would comtrail a country with a drug like this to win a war....
I suppose once it's invented if it hasn' already it will be misused...

Serotonin, Aggression, Apathy, and Empathy

[edit on 12-1-2008 by Perplexed]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Perplexed
My question is if we were able to modify human genetics to exclude anger what would happen?

I wonder whether this is even possible.

Although you can ease the physical sensation of anger, calm people down with medications, I am not sure you can eliminate the intellectual aspects of anger or any other human "qualia". These sensations may be intrinsic to consciousness. You may not be able to have awareness without the spectrum of emotional sensation, such as anger, revenge, love, curiousity, etc.

For example, when you give medications to calm people, they have a temporary effect. These medications numb the "feelings", but studies have demonstrated that the emotions are still intellectualized, and still affect overall behavior. For example, some people just get nastier when they drink. Numbing the feelings associated with anger might actually amplify the anger behavior rather than reduce it.

(I've been searching for some web reference to back this assertion up, but haven't found anything yet. I will keep looking.)

Very provocative idea you have! I wonder what others have to say?

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
When I was younger I had a great boxing record, no losses, 12 wins. Not once did I ever get angry during one of those fights, if I had I would have likely expended all of my energy in one short burst of rage. Anger rarely has a positive effect, even in dangerous situations. An angry person is more apt to do something extraordinarily stupid than perform an act of courage.
Just look at sociopaths; they are the most efficient humans to escape from the gene pool and they almost never get angry.

top topics

join