It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gizmodo banned for remotely shutting down LCDs at CES

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by scientist
Imagine a five dollar keychain toy ruining a multi-million dollar convention.

Yes, $5 worth of laxative put in the cafeteria milk can make a lot of people unhappy as well.

and imagine a $0.50 bullet killing someone. we can take this bad analogy as far as you want. The fact is, there was no permanent damage, no physical damage, no financial damage, etc. Just embarrassment and some frustration.

It's even more ironic that none of them followed their own tech-support. The first step is always "check to see if the device is powered on."

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
All I know is I am going to order a TV-B gone, i mean 20 bucks? AESOME! No more having to sit through the mexican channel when I am at public places bwahahaha

Even better is a programmable remote control watch. I think Casio makes one. This way, instead of turning off the TV you could turn the volume up/down or change the channel/input. Even more fun!! Of course, I guess you would have to carry around a list of codes to reprogram the watch for the different manufacturer of TV.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
All I have to say is, an anonymous person could have uploaded a virus and shut the entire show down.

Turning off televisions is not a huge deal, but it put a damper in the business of people so it is going to lead to a lawsuit.

I don't think they did anything horrible, but they have to ask themselves, was it really worth it?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Never heard of Gizmodo. Now I know why. Only childish minds pull childish pranks.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I find the humor in it.

In fact, I've bookmarked this thread to share with the resident techie geek in the household as soon as he wakes up.

He's usually grumpy in the morning, but this thread will perk him right up.

Thanks a million!

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Then you're probably not a techie. As for childish minds, if it weren't for childish minds we would likely not have most of the technology we enjoy today. So three cheers for childish minds.

Hip Hip.....

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This certainly shows how dependent we are on our instrumentality when expressing a point into the heads of those we wish to entertain and persuade. As for the camera totting beguiler of LCD, they made a point and as far as I see, they should be banned for interrupting the affair.

The interruption, I'm sure caused mayhem to all who were victimized.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
What if someone decides to turn off the computers that run ATS as a prank? Would that be funny or should that person expect lawsuits?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
imagine someone shut off the monitor to the computer Ats is running, not the computer itself.

is this really that hard to understand guys? yikes.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

If they turned off the monitors in the server room housing the servers running ATS, I doubt anyone would notice.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't think turning off TVs is the point. I think the problem is disrupting someone else's business. All for a giggle. I don't care either way. good luck.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Hahaha that was great. Yeah yeah it was petty and childish as well.. but who cares?? They saw an opportunity to get some laughs and took it, you can't argue with the publicity aspect either.. the mere fact they got kicked out puts their name in the paper. Gizmodo is a sweet tech website regardless.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
is anyone here actually involved in product development and marketing? what they did was wrong, and i would be pissed if i was showing a product at CES. here you are with all these potential business partners and trying to show off your product, and you're experiencing technical difficulties. not only are you losing potential parners right in front of your eyes, but the press covering the event may also put your company's mishaps in the media.

gizmodo has potentially caused these businesses to lose out on money.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Let's keep in mind that the massive recovery it took to get the show back on track was just to turn the TV's back on

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I think it was a good, simple prank.
They turned the monitors off, not wiped everyones PC's.
As stated above, it would have taken all of 30 seconds to realise what happened and press the "on" button.
All that would have been required was a quip about the pranksters brain being switched off, a giggle and the show goes on.
I cant believe some of these reactions. It was a joke that caused no harm. Liven up.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bizone
is anyone here actually involved in product development and marketing?

uh.... yes. and i STILL think it's all extremely hilarious.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewWorldOver
Let's keep in mind that the massive recovery it took to get the show back on track was just to turn the TV's back on

"OH MY GOD THE TVS ARE OFF!!!! AHHHHH THE APOCALYPSE IS HERE!"

Come on guys it was a childish prank, it was funny, no harm no foul.
I am sure you have done some childish things before.

Now Gizmodo is a neat website, but it you want to see an even better one.
thinkgeek.com.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by bizone
is anyone here actually involved in product development and marketing?

uh.... yes. and i STILL think it's all extremely hilarious.

doesn't mean it was right, and never said i didn't laugh... doesn't mean they did not potentially cost people money.

as far as the solution of "just turn the TV back on". whenever they did, it turned back off. the idea of some idiots in the crowd with universal remotes didn't cross their minds obviously, and i'm sure they were panicing, thinking it was some kind of hardware or power failure. which is also what people in the crowd thought, which is what could have costed a lot of businesses a lot of potential money.

i meet with a lot of people around the country to demonstrate products for sales and training... if it was just training, i could probably have a good laugh IF i found out what was going on... if it was a sales meeting and you cost me a client, i would be PISSED!

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bizone

I'm sure when the client figures out the situation, will resume business as usual.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Remember the DOT com era just a few years ago. This reminds me of that time with all those bright ideas, money schemes and ground breaking software being sold to the masses with a tech competitor bombing the competition.

I have the following dvd and it is funny to watch DOT comers make it up.

Google Video Link

video is 1 hour and a half long. To long to watch here, just bookmark and watch later.

Edit: profanity used in video

[edit on 13-1-2008 by WorldShadow]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join