It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A military question for our astute members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
My Dad dropped off some DVD's he recently transfered from old VHS tape of newscasts about the recovery of the Challenger in the Atlantic Ocean.

In one scene is a NASA spokesman and sitting next to him is a guy dressed in Air Force blues, but he has a wicked month growth of beard and mustache.

My question is, when did the military allow beards and a mustache while in uniform? Was this guy retired or something.

Sorry, I don't have a picture.

[edit on 12-1-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Sorry, I do have pictures now. Who is this guy?

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Slightly off topic, in the field they tend to be more relaxed on the issue of facial hair.

In pictures: Marines' moustaches

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
It's Dean Stockwell

He always plays military types.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Me thinks you watched one too many episodes of Quantum Leap.....

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Being ex-military, I have to agree that when you are out in the field, things are a bit more relaxed, and they let you grow it out a bit more. But the man in the photograph would not have a beard or mustache with that much hair because then it is against regulation. The man might be ex-military, but if he was currently in, they'd make him trim it down to size or give him, after enough warnings, an Article 15.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
What about regulation for certain special forces or operatives? You know, like Delta or DEVGRU.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

...........and especially on a high-profile televised conference concerning the recovery of one of our space shuttles. For publicities sake, it would be a bad image for the Air Force.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

the regulations are followed even more rigidly by Delta, the Green Berets, DEVGRU, and all the rest.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In the Navy, you could get a waiver to grow a beard for medical and religious reasons. This guy looks like he might be orthodox jewish. Kind of Kissinger'ish. No religious offense intended.

[edit on 13-1-2008 by seawolf197]

new topics

top topics

join