It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Forces Convo : Originally Called 'For all those people who think the American Special Force

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rezyn
Sorry about starting this up again.

I personally think that the SBS are the most elite. I am not basing this on any proof, just personal opinion. I really don't care about the SEALs, Delta Force, MFR etc. and neither should I; their existence is not to defend the country I live in. Of course no one wants to accept that their own SFs are inferior to another country's - that's to be expected especially when such things as 'national pride' seem to be at stake (which in the end gets a little repetitive and petty... *cough*). Unfortunately, we are inundated with unfortunate news of the state of the US military: their incompetence, their lack of flexibility, their worrying lack of regard for allies. I know this has no bearing on the state of US SFs, but it is a worry.

We don't have much in this small country to be proud of, and too many times when we should have been it has been stollen from us (mentioning no names...), that's why a dim view is taken when our most elite aren't given the respect they are surely due. The SBS, if not one of the best, THE best and anyone who can argue with that without smiling deserves an Oscar.

not to worry mate we are used to BS from pissants who whine while we fight, i know of quite a few of our guys who detest the sheep humping lazy assed whiny REMF obsessed limey squaddies, they'd gladly whack'em save for charges of homophobia. Oh well one of the burdens of being a superpower i guess

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I question all you who doubt the SAS's ability to find out when the last Longbow was used in a war.

Heck, Ive read about a SAS trooper in WW2 that would rather kill with hands and used to break apart equipment with his hands rather than blow it up.

Give me an hour or two Ill find all these intresting SAS stories

Edit: Well its a fun fact, Ill give you clue.
The last death in war by a longbow belongs to Captain "Mad Jack".
Which War?

[edit on 19-2-2005 by Vowles]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Are we reallly bringing this thread back up? AGAIN!
Cant we let this one die?

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
I know several American and British special op forces, and the train with each other to the point that they are almost the same.

Read the book The Hunt for Bin Ladin, it shows just how good US special forces really are.

The SEALs are also not the top tier of our forces, there are organizations that are far more selective and far more specialized

So good, they never got him.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Sorry, But I have to reply...I can't sit this one out.
OK, first of all....everyone is saying "I've read in this book"
or "I have heard" or "someone said".
With that said, I would like to say that hear say means nothing
and the last time I ckecked the USN SEALS do alot of TOP SECRET
(hey there's a new word for you all) work that is probably classified
as TS which means that it might not be publized and you (you as in
whoever started this thread) would not know about it. And since you
have to be an American citizen to have a TS clearance or any other
clearance in the U.S. Gov't/Military than common sense would dictate
that YOU would not and do not know what you are talking about.
Thank you!!
-An American Living/working Overseas-

SKD

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
One Navy Seal in Iraq ?

That sounds wrong, firstly GROM and the seals were working together closely, and the Polish SF were highly praised for their abilities.

Secondly, wasn't the team which saved Jessica Lynch a SEAL team ? Or had some seals in it anyway.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Oh right! I'm new in this forum. So, before I start anything, let me just say that I'm a U.S soldier. I've served in both Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm very familiar with Special Operation - that's about all I can tell you.

This discussion was very interesting to me because it shows me how the
general public's knowledge in special operations is still deeply rooted in
misconceptions and myths. The General myth is that the SAS, SBS, one of the various Israeli Special Force Units, Delta Force, SF, Navy Seal, Marine Recon, GIGN, SASR, Spetsnaz, or ...... is the best special operation force in the world. This is a myth. There is no one single unit that is the "best" - all the units aforementined are excellent. Some of them are better at certain things and more qualified to do certain missions - while other are better suited for other things. Each Special Operation group has its specialty and areas in which it trains more than other groups. For Instance, Navy SEAL trains primarily for maritime operations, and direct action - sabotage, killing, rescue, etc. It excels in these type of operations. Are they better than Rangers or SF in this kind of operations as a result? Of course they are. Rangers in the other hand trains primarily for lightning raid/assault type actions, airfield and ground seizures, and as shock attack troop for conventional forces. Are they more capable than the SEAL, Delta Force, Marine Recon or SF in this regard? Yes they are. SF has a broader range of missions than any of these special Operation Forces. In addition to l Unconventional Warfare, Reconnaissance and Direct Action, SF's other missions also include Foreign Internal Defense (training and fighting along side of Guerilla forces), Counter Terrorism, and Psychological Warfare. It also has mission that last longer than most Special Operation groups. Does that make SF Soldiers better than other special forces operators? No it doesn't. It just mean that a special force soldier has a few things is more qualified to do than the others. Because each Special Operation group has a broad area of expertise and mission, a lot of time they can be overlapping. Seal and Marine Recon have missions that are almost identical, but with two minor differences. First, Recon primary mission is reconnaissance whereas Seal is reconnaissance than attack and destroy. Second Marinre Recon has mission futher inland than Navy Seal. To some up my point let me give the following illustrations. If I had to kill a terrorist or a political dissident, I would most likely pick a Delta Force Operator. If I had to assault a terrorist training camp in six hours to three days, I would leave the job for a Seal Team. If I had to gain intel a plot that assault in three months, I'll go for a Special Force team (Green Beret) or a Delta Team. If need to train the local to fight and help them overthrow the local warlord, it strickly a Specail Force (Green Beret) job. And lastly if I want someone to do recon on thast camp without any sort of interference than return without any notice or any sign of U.S involvement, I would go for the marine recon. It's all boiled down to which area any special force operation group around the World excel best.

You can't, as tempting as it is judge, a special force group based on its accomplishment. If Navy Seal team Six succeded a hostage rescue mission with no loss of hostages and no casualties, it has done its job, - the "best" that can be done. The same is true for if the result is accomplished by a Delta or Sf Team. If the SAS tried a hostage rescue and failed, that doesn't make them any lesser qualified than Delta, Seal, or SF. It just mean that they've failed this time. The GIGN of France is one of the best counter Terrorism special operation iin the World, yet, one cannot claim it as the best special force. I the World of Special Operation, for every success story you can find dozen of faillures. No one special operation gorup is the best.

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm
I'll pit my girfriends son who is a US Navy Seal/EOD against any other countries elite force anyday

One of their mottos

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Anywhere Anytime

He'd come back in a body bag if he went up against anything British

posted on Sep, 17 2007 @ 07:17 AM
link   
congratulations on thread necromancy - digging up a 3 year old thread to reply to epeen fighting

how imba

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
No doubt SAS is good..Prob the best....But your info on NAVY and SOCOM is poor....to say the least. SEALs were running ops in N Iraq MONTHS before and during the current conflict. They were painting targets all over Iraq. It is funny that if you get a group of SAS and SEALs in the same room I will bet you my left floater that "who is best" never comes up. It is all about luck and f*** ........MATE

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Who Dares Wins

Originally posted by NetStorm
I'll pit my girfriends son who is a US Navy Seal/EOD against any other countries elite force anyday

One of their mottos

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Anywhere Anytime

He'd come back in a body bag if he went up against anything British

Yeah......The rotting teeth and bad breath could kill almost anything

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
The elite of the elite is a unit by the name of MACV-SOG which existed in Vietnam. All current units pale in comparison to them. Quite simply they were the best ever.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
You folks that post here have got to be the best readers in the world. You read everything you can get your hands on, don't you? Anyone that has worked in Special Operations had to "debrief" before leaving their employer. During that debrief, they sign a paper that says they WILL NEVER divulge classified information without written permission from their employer. Marcinko and every other operator that has had anything published had his "stuff" cleared by the government before being published. Clancy has come very close to being in hot water for having some very interesting sources. Charlie Beckwith isn't a fool, either. You can be sure everything he's had published has gome past the censor's pen before making it into print. Many of the things you bandy about on here is really amusing, though...

I worked for Naval Special Warfare Development Group (NAVSPECWARDEVGRU) as a civilian. I saw MANY very interesting things while working there and travelling with the unit and I sleep better at night knowing how well our Special Warfare Operators are trained.

Keep up the research boys, and have fun speculating on what our guys are up to. I hope it scares the beejeepers out of the bad guys!

;-X

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I don't know who is the best now, but I know who the best was ever. Red Cell under Richard Marcinko's command. Ask the SAS, GSG9, the french the italians the korean frogmen and they'll all tell you. They were the best. Just don't ask the isralies, they think they are the best no matter what others say, no matter what.

Also, who knows what teams are currently the best they all operate in secrecy. we only hear about the ops that went wrong in some way not all of the ones that nobody will ever know about. so nobody can say who is the best because none of us are there witnessing any of this.

Also, in regards to the identities of the SAS being secret. might have something to do with them fighting internal terrorism like the IRA, not good when the people who taret the terrorists in their own back yard are publicly listed. Nothing good comes from a IED in the SAS commanders driveway for england. SEALS are deployed away from their homeland (generally) and don't need to worry about some terrorist stalking his kids. But you are on crack my friend if you think that the US and most SF groups in the world don't have detachements that are secret. where the identity of the soldiers are removed from any official record. In the US and in other countries too there is a term called Sheep Dipped. It exists for a reason.

and also, if the roster of who is who in the SAS being secret is any example of what it means to be elite and the best than what about colombia's secret military SF who tried to hunt down Pablo Escobar? they were secret and they sucked balls. So being on a secret list somewhere doesn't make you any more elite.

Also, what about all of the Force Recon teams out there. go ahead and try telling them to thier faces that they aren't kick ass. cause they will smack around plenty of SF groups for breakfast. And also, never underestimate an aussie SAS or SBS. I would put my money on the Aussie SAS over the English SAS anyday. I was talking to a seal about a year ago who's operated with the SAS before and he says that they are getting a little antiquated and that it's the Royal Marines that are the real heavy duty operators now. He also, says to never mess with a south korean frogman. Funny nobody ever mentions the asian SF but they exist and they are as nuts as any of the other SF teams around. Don't believe me that the Korean SF are pretty hardcore than just ask Dennis Chalker he even mentions in his autobiography that the korean SF were some of the hardest meanest toughest never quite until the missions completed operators around, and dennis was part of the original Seal Team 6, Red Cell and the head instructor for BUD/S

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Detachment Grey Sock is the most highly elite and trained of all Sf groups in the whole world. They are responsible for operating directly with the Grey aliens at their underground bases. Grey Sock must acquire the special fuel needed to power the spaceships... filthy dirty socks. Ever wanted to know where your socks vanish to? Ever though for how long this sock conspiracy has existed? eons! As far back in history as the invention of the sock there has been this group called Grey Sock with their vitally important mission. To get ET home. This team is obviously the best because nobody has ever been able to discover and thwart their plans all this time, and we're talking centuries here.

Go ahead and try and stop the Grey Sock operators they will find your socks no matter where you hide them no matter how hard you try.

Also, they have ray guns.

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SKD

Yes you are correct, it was a SEAL team

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
i gave my two cents already SEALs and DEVGRU are the best hands down. im a BUD/S selectee leaving feb. and the guy who said EOD and SEALs are the same HAHAHAHAHHA people who cant make SEAL go EOD buddy hence the term for Navy EOD's "BUD/S dropouts"

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
okay i say the us navy seals were the best then as they r now, i mean back in veitnam, there k/d was a 200 to 1, i rly dont think that any other special forces unit has anything close to that but i can be wrong, and + the navy seals now r more trained now than then, soo i would think that the us navy seals is robably the worlds top special force, hell the us Marines r almost a special force unit with there mad and BA skills, so the us is a force to be rekon with.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24 >>

join