It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Special Forces Convo : Originally Called 'For all those people who think the American Special Force

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I do have an interest in defending the country and if the draft were to come back in I would very happily volunteer.
I have an interest in military and military history... I'd like to join the TA when I'm older, out of university perhaps...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I have an interest in military and military history... I'd like to join the TA when I'm older, out of university perhaps...

What is the TA?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Terroritorial Army...
It's KIND of like the Reserves...
I THINK, not sure, it's like the US National Guard...
You hold a regular full-time paying job, and at the same time, you spend 1 night a week and 2 weeks a year doing army training..

In wartime the Government can, if they want, call you up as a regular soldier to fight...
Here is the official UK Government website about the TA

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Quote:
"There is the SAS and there is everyone else"

-Colonel Charles Beckwith, Founder of The 1st SFOD-D

I think he knows better than any of us. End of discussion.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think that's the old site, try this one instead
Here

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSwordMaster
Quote:

Where did you get that quote from? I read his book and I never remember him saying that?

Are you another SAS grouppie?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Terroritorial Army...
It's KIND of like the Reserves...
I THINK, not sure, it's like the US National Guard...
You hold a regular full-time paying job, and at the same time, you spend 1 night a week and 2 weeks a year doing army training..

In wartime the Government can, if they want, call you up as a regular soldier to fight...
Here is the official UK Government website about the TA

Assuming that it does not interfere with whatever you are being trained for at your school?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I said out of university

You can also join TA SAS units, 21 and 23....
Vince Philips on Bravo Two Zero was a TA SAS man if memory serves me.... He was mentioned in Adam Ballinger : The Quiet Soldier, a book about TA SAS selection, as being a man on the course.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by TheSwordMaster
Quote:

Where did you get that quote from? I read his book and I never remember him saying that?

Its in Andy Mcnabs book, How To Pass The SAS Selection Course.
And no im no SAS groupie, but i do think they whoop every american SF.

and what, are you another american groupie?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
He's a sailor! You know what they say about sailors in Britian

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

I said out of university

You can also join TA SAS units, 21 and 23....
Vince Philips on Bravo Two Zero was a TA SAS man if memory serves me.... He was mentioned in Adam Ballinger : The Quiet Soldier, a book about TA SAS selection, as being a man on the course.

Are you telling me that you can join the SAS while in the reserves/national guard/whatever?

Wouldn't that require you to get training? Wouldn't that interfere with whatever job that you get whenever you graduate?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Its in Andy Mcnabs book, How To Pass The SAS Selection Course.

He, of course, is known for his accuracy. You are trying to tell me that you take the word of an SAS member as quoting an American as the truth?

And no im no SAS groupie, but i do think they whoop every american SF.

and what, are you another american groupie?

No, I am just a guy who happens to think that most of the responses on this thread came from people who don't know what they are talking about.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You can join the SAS 'reserves' as such...
They still hold full time jobs, you train once a week (for a night) and two weeks a year training camps...
During TA SAS Selection itself you get excellant weapons trainings etc to make it up, but I think the standard is still (obviously) lower than regular SAS

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

He's a sailor! You know what they say about sailors in Britian

The same thing your boyfriend(s) say(s) about you?

Apparently we are going to now resort to name calling?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND
No, I am just a guy who happens to think that most of the responses on this thread came from people who don't know what they are talking about.

Well you seem to have alot of posts in this thread too.
And i think you are more clueless than browha, after reading abit.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Well you seem to have alot of posts in this thread too.
And i think you are more clueless than browha, after reading abit.

Care to elaborate? I speak from experiences working with them, he speaks from what he reads about.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Thought you may like to read this.

shogun123...

First off I'm gunna give you a little history lesson about WW2. 70% of Germany's resources was taken up on the Eastern Front fighting against Russia so if we have anyone to thank it'd be the Russians!!! And 9 out of 10 german soldiers killed in WW2 were killed in combat against the Russians!
Secondly, if the SAS is so crap, why are the US Army Rangers based upon their idea with all the fundamental training MI6 taught them!!
Thirdly, if the American forces are so advanced in comparison to the UK, why did the US send Afghanistan fighters to Scotland, UK in the 1980's to train to fight against Russia?!?
Next, it's true that the US has superior technology, the amount of funding you get proves that this should be true but the difference between the US forces and the UK forces is that the US equip the men whilst the UK train them!!
And us be nicer to the US? We couldn't be any nicer!! In times when the whole world seems anti-American it looks like we're your only allies!! Don't know why when I speak to Yanks like you.
I think that overall, in comparison out forces have a proven track record that is held in high regard by objective Americans, not by over-patriotic US cowboys like you. Your Green Beret father don't know s**t son!!

I look forward to your reply!!!

AT UK

Don't stoop to his level.

Many Americans, such as my self appreciate and understand the long relationship between the Military Forces of our two countries. We compliment each other quite well and historically we are amoung the few nations willing to sacrafice today for a better world tomorrow.

As to 123 I doubt his father is a Green Beret and if he is I am sure he does not share the views of his misguided and immature son.

Based on what I have heard, the SAS and SBS as operators are better trained than the Green Berets and they have seperate rolls, a comparison between the two forces is really not appropiate. SAS and SBS have short mission specific rolls, the Green Berets were built for and used for a different purpose, mainly converting an indigenous force and training them to fight multiplying the capacity of our own forces where we for political reasons can not take a front line roll.

Green Berets have been very effective in Afghanistan while in Iraq SAS and SBS, SEAL's and Delta have been better utilized and more effective.

It is sad that frequently in forum's such as these where people form different cultures and backgrounds get to interface many chose the road of arrogance forcing ideas on other people as opposed to having thoughtful discussions and a honest meeting of the minds.

This is from a different forum, I was looking for comparisons between SAS/Delta Force

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Just wanna say, about my last post, the SAS / SBS also perform what was described as the Green Beret role... example is Oman.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Sounds to me like it was more of a SAS vs Green Berets discussion.

Green Berets are not the top of the SF chain in the US. SAS are the top for you, right?

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Yes.. well according to public knowledge, you never know.. they may have re-started the SRS (Special Raiding Service)
The guy, however, doesnt say they are equals, he just says a comparision is inappropiate.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join